Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dread update - 6 months:)

Kaitlyn Whitworth
@kaitlyn-whitworth
10 years ago
2 posts

Hi all. This is the first update I've done since I stopped brushing/conditioning my hair back in January. I was wondering if you'd be willing to take 10 mins and have a look, and give me any feedback you have! I am pretty isolated in my journey so am stoked to have this community to ask questions and share my dreads with! I basically don't know what I'm doing wrong or right and I'm just going with the flow..but I would appreciate any comments or advice :)

Thanks in advance.. here's the link! My first ever attempt at recording on youtube so sorry for the crappy sound quality..

Cheers guys!!

updated by @kaitlyn-whitworth: 01/13/15 10:04:36PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

ok 1st your very pretty and they look great on u

but now on to advice

the entire vid you were finger combing its amazing it dreaded as much as it did

the bun in the begining if u wear it like that alot will slow progress as well

stop finger combing!!!!

now for drying i wrap a shamwow around them and squeeze..dont wring just squeeze then blow dry in quick short bursts

recent5ly i got a hood that attaches to the blow dryer and that dries em quick..i dont go for full on dry just try to get em dryish then when i find damp spots hit em with a burst

sun in summer dries em faster then anything

now this point i cant stress enough

when they are damp..even the tiniest bit..dont tie them up!

think of this

ifu take your laundrey out of the washer then hang them on a line they dry'

if u instead throw them in a wet pile on the floor they never dry and u get mold growing in them

they need airflow all around them they need to be loose to drey

thats why loose hair dries so much faster then dreads because they are all bundled up but when u make a pony tail or bun your essentialy making all your hair 1 mass and instead of each dread drying in hours the mass is taking 40 times longer cause u have 40 dreads all acting as 1

heres another drying tip since you'll have em hanging loose feel around and move the damper ones to the outside to get more direct air

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kaitlyn Whitworth
@kaitlyn-whitworth
10 years ago
2 posts

Thanks for the advice re: drying. I will try a sham-wow.
I have to keep my hair up at work, hence the bun. Most of the time it's down.
And yes, the finger-combing - bad habit I admit!! However if my hair was to dread any faster I feel like I would be totally overwhelmed! Every morning I wake up and there are new loops and tucks and pulls. I feel like I need the slow process in order to keep up with it mentally. Maybe thats why I have subconsciously started finger combing.. Thanks for the reminder that it will not help in the long run!

interrstella
@interrstella
10 years ago
41 posts
Try showering in the afternoon when you get off so you don't have to put them up too soon after their wet and you won't go to sleep with them wet either.
Alexandra6
@alexandra6
10 years ago
1 posts

I think they look good. They are definitely coming along. :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form