Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

My timeline - Asian hair / Backcomb / T&R / 1 month

Hitomi
@hitomi
10 years ago
3 posts
Hi all, here is my dreadlock timeline.I prepped my hair for 2 months before dreading. Washed with cetaphil soap every 4 days and stopped brushing. I also put 4 up sectioned small dreads in my hair to see what they look like and how they would dread.I took out the 4 dreads and my wonderful and supportive husband sectioned my hair for me. We did a brick layout and it was this time that I recognized how thankful and appreciative I was of his type A personality.The sections are about 1in squares. I have varying sizes of dreads. Big ones are in the back of my head and smaller ones in the front/bang area.Because I have stubborn thick straight hair, it took FOREVER to dread and make the knots tight. I used a combination of TnR and back combing to make sure the knots are tight. It took me about 3 hours to section a row and put 5 dreads in.After two weeks I was done and I did my dreaded (ha) first wash. First wash after having all the dreads done. I had not washed my hair for a full 7 days and my scalp was feeling it.Here are the pictures! https://mydreadlocktimeline.shutterfly.com/pictures/8 I am so thankful for this website and for the members who contributed. It has been very encouraging for me to see others on their journey.That's all for now, I will check back and post my progress soon!
updated by @hitomi: 01/13/15 10:03:04PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,639 posts

welcome your not the hitomi i used to talk to are u?

btw looser might have been better u may find that the tightest ones dread the slowest

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Little Wing
@little-wing
10 years ago
41 posts

Nice!

I think also I have an "asian like" hair, but I decided to go now on freeform, because 2 years ago I went through backcombed/crochet method and my dreads on the 4th month turned out extremely hard and compact I could barely bend them, major shrinkage and also some problems with the roots (some thinning and others coming together).

My theory is that if I let my hair dread on its own pace, then they might become good dreads. The downside is because my hair is sooooo straight, is gonna take me ages.

Sometimes I feel tempted to try on the T&R, in case I notice I can't make any knots. So would be cool if you continue updating your journey to see how it turns for you, I might use the information as a guide too!

;)

Hitomi
@hitomi
10 years ago
3 posts
Thank you SE and Georgina for the feedback! SE I'm not the Hitomi you used to talk to. :-). My hair is very strange. Maybe it's because I used to have it colored at a salon each month but I have areas of my head where the hair is very fine and slow to dread and some areas that seem to have a thick, rough texture and dreads easily. The back and sides are dreading up well maybe because I roll around in my sleep? The front of my head refuses to dread and I have lightly crocheted the short loose hair there. I have lots and lots of frizz ALL OVER! I have prayed and mentally prepared that I can emotionally handle not having a perfect head. I am also struggling with terrible dandruff and itchy scalp. I am using vital goods lavender peppermint shampoo and washing every 4 days. I have some tea tree oil on the way here so I can't wait to use that. My head gets pretty itchy and dandruffy on the third day.I have read a bunch of stuff on here but if you have any additional tips please feel free to let me know! This site is awesome and what a great resource to learn proper dreading techniques and see others experiences. Thank you!
Little Wing
@little-wing
10 years ago
41 posts

Well, actually I would recommend you not crochet anything. I did just once and I think for straight haired people is pointless. At least for me, was like... I always had stubborn hairs which just refused to knot in despite all the times I tried to attach them to the nearest dread and all.

I guess also with straight hair, maybe are gonna be always fly aways (I guess you already have seen the dreadlocks from a girl who writes a blog called "Galapril", she has straight hair and her dreads were done with T&R method and she has lot of loose hairs and they look super cool). And yeah, after doing crochet, backcomb or t&r they are gonna change... a lot! I've read with the T&R method is probable that it shrink less than with any other method. I started with a hair chest size and it ended up to my ear size.

Actually, if you just let them be, they are not gonna be like those super neat dreads we see everywhere from people who do lot of maintenance on them, but in my opinion, dreads that don't look all the same, have more "character" and it's kinda funny and interesting to see how each one is getting different shape and stuff.

Also... I think a mistake I did with my first set of crocheted dreadlocks was to cut some hairs from the roots that were coming together. I think I will never to that again.

I also had lot of problems with dandruff and itchiness that I kinda relieved a bit with tea tree essential oil. I also began to use knotty boy peppermint spray for "the itchy scalp" but I personally don't recommend you to use any of those products (maybe you already know that). It kinda felt cooling effect probably because of the peppermint, but afterwards my hair felt a bit sticky... So after that I learned on just rely myself on essential oils, haha.

And I know now, straight haired people have to be overly patient with dreadlocks. I have already one week without combing and I look like... nothing had happened. I even saw today some people on the test room who probably combed this morning and who looked even messier than me, and that was kinda funny. :D

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,639 posts

absolutely never crochet peter is about to post a discussion on the damage crochet did to hers ..she (yes peters a she) lost over 1/2 her hair from crocheting only once..

the short hairs will dread fine..over time..and when they get longer

--
Hitomi
@hitomi
10 years ago
3 posts
Yes I have seen Galapril's blogs. I love her blonde dreads! I will have to lock the crochet hook in the safe to make sure I don't use it. Lol. Thanks guys.I had one lady compliment me on my dreads. That was a nice treat! :-)... And i thought I was having a really bad hair day.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,639 posts

shes cute as a button but never washes her dreads ..ever probably whty she still tnr's new ones all the time

dont lock it in a safe throw it in the trash

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form