dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dread Gel?

Antoinette Petrowsky
@antoinette-petrowsky
10 years ago
11 posts

Hello!

I'm new to the site, but I've been reading it for a while as I prepare to dread my hair.I'm doing tnr only because I'd like to define my dread sections. I'd be all for the neglect method, but the entire backside of my hair turns into a giant rats nest just from wearing my hair down with a scarf on, so I don't want to have one giant ball of hair. I'm white but my hair is long, thick, and coarse. I started one dread this morning and snapped a pic of my dilemma. Crap tons of frizzy flyaways. I'm sure it's normal and will sort itself out as they mature, but I'm wondering what to do in the meantime.

I know wax is bad, and wasn't planning on using anything.. but I came across the locking gel on dreadlockshampoo.com and I was wondering what the opinions on this stuff were? I'm curious if it will smooth my hair a but and keep my tangly frizzys from connecting my dreads together at the root. The description on the site sounds good and I know their shampoos are recommended so yea... I guess I'm just looking for thoughts on the gel and its uses.

the following image is what I'm hoping to sort out, thanks in advance!

updated by @antoinette-petrowsky: 02/14/15 03:40:37AM
Megan Atwood
@megan-atwood
10 years ago
40 posts
I went with TnR too and I know exactly what you mean! SE got me convinced that the dread gel would help keep my hair looking more presentable for my family's sake, if it weren't for them I'd just let them go and do their own thing. But anyways, SE has assured me that its a great product and will help my hair lock up and keep it looking more presentable when it needs to be. I just ordered mine today, so I can't really give a personal testimonial for it yet, but I'll be sure to let ya know how it works for me!
Antoinette Petrowsky
@antoinette-petrowsky
10 years ago
11 posts

awesome, I was thinking of ordering some with the shampoo anyway and just trying it as well. let me know how you like it! :)

Megan Atwood
@megan-atwood
10 years ago
40 posts
Make sure you get the liquid! Everyone's told me it REALLY locks up baby dreadies, the bars are more for mature dreads. I got the nag champa shampoo, just gotta wait for both to get here, I'm so excited to try them and I'll let you know how it goes after I use them a couple times=]
Antoinette Petrowsky
@antoinette-petrowsky
10 years ago
11 posts

I actually got the liquid and the bar, I just ordered :) I got the liquid because I also read its good for starting out, but I got a bar for later so I don't have to order again for a while. I think i got the tea tree in the liquid cause tea tree is crazy awesome. But in the bar I got goddess cause I'm girly :P

Megan Atwood
@megan-atwood
10 years ago
40 posts
I hear goddess smells incredible!
Megan Atwood
@megan-atwood
10 years ago
40 posts
I got my lock magic gel and nag champa liquid shampoo and these products are just amazing. I tried the gel on my dry dreads as soon as I got it. The Karma scent isn't for everyone though, I like it, but its kind of strong. It's a really fresh, piney smell. After having it on for a couple hours, I noticed new knots and my dreads felt a bit tighter. It really helps with loose hairs too, doesn't exactly smooth everything out but definitely calms them down. It feels light, zero stickyness, and leaves dreads soft and flexible, its definitely not a normal gel. The shampoo is awesome too, smells EXACTLY like nag champa incense which I expected. After washing my hair yesterday evening, my dreads were nice and soft, I noticed some new loose hair on the ends but everything else felt tighter, I followed up with the gel after they dried some. I woke up this morning to lots of new knots, especially on the ends that got a little loose after washing. I've seen more progress over the weekend from having these products than I have all week, wonderful, wonderful stuff!
Antoinette Petrowsky
@antoinette-petrowsky
10 years ago
11 posts

awesome! I should have mine today, it was delivered friday but I haven't had a chance to get it from the post office... we recently moved and don't have a mailbox put in yet thanks to the cold we've had... so I'm just waiting to get it today!! :)

Megan Atwood
@megan-atwood
10 years ago
40 posts
Sweet! You'll love the shampoo, if you can, definitely get the gel too. Together they work wonders on new dreads.
Antoinette Petrowsky
@antoinette-petrowsky
10 years ago
11 posts

yea I ordered the gel, the liquid shampoo, and then a bar of shampoo for later also. I cant wait, I'm excited for something that smells nice, I usually wash my hair with baking soda lol

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form