Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How can I tell if my dreads are healthy?

Hannah Wilson
@hannah-wilson
10 years ago
10 posts
Hey y'all. I've had my dreads for a year now, and they are looking good. They have tightened and thickened and curled and waved. But I have this underlying fear that they just aren't where they should be. I used a back comb/ TNR method which I kind of regret--wish I would have gone natural. I use baking soda sea salt and apple cider vinegar to wash.. Tea tree oil to moisten other than that I don't bother them. But how can I tell if they Are healthy? What can I do to improve them?
updated by @hannah-wilson: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

id try the dreadlockshampoo now baking soda and acv are great tio deep clean and to encourage dreading early on but i found after 4 years of use it really weakened my hair..so id try the dreadlockshampoo.com wich makes it super healthy (u definately dont need sea salt anymore or at least not often maybe a dose every 6 months wont hurt)

yeatree isnt in intself very moisturizing unless u use way too much

actually being a anticeptic it can dry the scalp if used too much thats why i use way less then i do rosemary

so id try the dreadlockshampoo use aloe or jojoba if they feel too dry or hard

is there a reason u feel thety arent?like you feel the hairs break too easy?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Rude Bwoy
@rude-bwoy
10 years ago
40 posts

"But I have this underlying fear that they just aren't where they should be."

Ok I wont lie, I chuckled when I read this. They shouldn't "be" anywhere, there is no book that says how much growth or progress you should have at any point. There are no rules or pre-determined laws you need to follow or measure up to.

They are exactly where they should be, wherever they want to be. The only way your dreads are not going to be where they should be, is if you are doing something that is having negative effects and you are hindering your progress or moving in the wrong direction.

Other then that, be happy with however they are, they are doing what they want to. And that is what they are supposed to do :-D.

I still don't even have a lot of dreads but I started from like 1/4 inch hair and its been over a year. No worries no forcing it. =D I told myself even if it didn't dread at all ever I'd just rock it however it decided to be...I think that mind state allows me to be happy with anything, progress, or no progress.

TLDR: There is no bar or standard to live up to...Whatever you have going on is perfect so long as you let it go. :-D

Hannah Wilson
@hannah-wilson
10 years ago
10 posts
Thanks guys! I'll check out jojoba oil instead and a different method of washing. Some my roots are. Little dry and need some love. I guess I don't really have any breakage since I don't find. Lot of my hair around the house. I think my concern comes from when I had a friend who's boyfriend had locks and she told me once that his would just fall off of his head completely lol. He must have just been doing something totall wrong.
Anna Blocker
@anna-blocker
10 years ago
25 posts

O.O just fall off his head?? eww....
Yeah I would say he was doing something VERY wrong....there should be enough hair that isn't broken for that to never happen...

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form