Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

ends of dreads..

Sunflower
@sunflower
10 years ago
95 posts

hey guys :) my dreadies are a year and 2 months! but the ends of them arent locking and its annoying me a little.. they were locking but then stopped and now are untangling. Any tips for my tips? :P

updated by @sunflower: 02/14/15 12:50:08PM
Casey Fay
@casey-fay
10 years ago
90 posts

Hey have you tied Vicki's Lock Magic Gel??? It really helped my ends stay together. I put it on the trouble ones before bed and noticed they seem to be getting tighter. I use her shampoo bars as well. Smells good leaves no residue, and good for dreads. Maybe it could help you. Good luck. By the way your dreads are nice.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

tips are best off loose to alow water to tun out so they dry drasticly faster

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Eric2
@eric2
10 years ago
2 posts

why dont you just let them grow how they want too , i dont get why people want to "make" there hair look a particular way , just let it flow , u dont need special soap or any other crap to put in your hair , if the tips lock up fine , if they dont even better , they will be fine either way, im not trying to rag on you, you do what you like its your hair, but locks are about being natural and something that says this is me , i cant even read the posts on this forum anymore it seems like there all about how do i make my locks look like this? , what do i do to get wax out of my hair? how should i "make" my locks. Locks are not made they grow with time, all you have to do is let it grow and wash it, thats it , good luck either way , peace

Casey Fay
@casey-fay
10 years ago
90 posts

I really hear you.Let me bounce this off you. Sometimes when people are more enlightened about things , they have confidence no matter what they do. But, when people lack experience or confidence, they need help. Sea salt , locking gel, natural soaps, they all help people gain confidence and experience. I am so glad this site is here. I hope you stay, because you will never know who you can affect with your lessons andshared knowledge

Eric2
@eric2
10 years ago
2 posts

i don't think im more enlightened or anymore confident than anybody ells , i was giving my opinion in a helpful way , and asking a question at the same time , i wasn't trying to put anybody down or anything like that , SE probably doesn't remember but when i started growing my locks this time around, it was because i saw a video of his on youtube and i came to check this site out , this is what inspired me to grow locks again, i joined the site and the first thing i did was send soaring eagle a message saying that he had inspired me to grow locks again , and he said thank you and good luck , three years later i have the best locks i could wish for , there are people out there trying to take advantage of others that wish to have locks, there is nothing wrong with salt water spray or natural soap, but soap that it sold as a dread soap that will help you grow locks, or lock peppa or this or that is bull , its all to make money off of people, im not trying to offend anybody or put anybody down like i said , just saying something that may help

Sunflower
@sunflower
10 years ago
95 posts

my dreads are free formed - 100%. I was just wondering if adding a bead or something would help since I have about 10cm of hair not locking at all... I love my locks how they are, but I wish the tips would lock a little more

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

bead might help yea

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Sting.Rey
@stingrey
10 years ago
42 posts

I hear you Sunflower, tips do seem to take the longest. I also understand & applaud Eric's position. From my own personal experience I can confidently say that the soap used really does make a difference. If you use a conditioning shampoo it will hamper your progress and a friend of mine & his wife undid their very mature (years) dreads by using a conditioning shampoo & conditioner to unravel the the knots and combing them out.

Locking Up Liquid Shampoo sold by Vicky really helps I've tried them all and can definitely tell a difference. It is also without question that Salt Water works as well. Just look at my picture Bouldering in Dreads from my Maui Surf Trip that was at about nine months. The difference from eight months was dramatic they really tighten up & I lost a lot of length but they finally started to appear cylindrical. The reason? For two weeks I was surfing every morning at dawn patrol spending at least two hours in the ocean. As you can see in my 10 month photo they look much more cylindrical now, though only a few of the tips are now just starting to dread & "blunt".

Sunflower you live far from the coast I imagine so I would say use the Liquid Locking Up Shampoo, make sure you work it all the way to the roots and let it soak in don't rush to rinse it out. I love the smell so much I'll just relax, soaking in the great aroma. The Nag Champa scent reminds me of the temples I visited when I was in India, it just helps me recenter & release all the tension that inevitably builds up my body from my high pressure job at the hospital. The gel does help, but only a little bit. I would use Vicki's Salt spray (she uses kelp & plant based proteins in addition to sea salt) on your tips in between wash days. You can also make some of your own. Remember to just keep it the same salinity as the ocean 3-4% for typical 8 oz (237 ml) spritzer bottle that translates to no more then two level teaspoons of sea salt.

Hope this helps & keep us posted on your progress, by the way how is your little pet rat?

DonnaMamarie
@donna2
10 years ago
7 posts
They will lock up, don't you worry. Just give them time and have patience. My ends were loose at 1 & 1/2 years too. They are all mostly blunt now. Just enjoy they stage you're in now. Remember it's a journey. Sometimes I miss my loose ends. I'd have fun with them and use a curling iron to make really pretty ringlets when I still had them. I can't do that anymore cause they are all blunted. But it was fun at the time. Good luck and enjoy your journey.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form