Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Neglect vs. Back-Combing... Help Me Decide!

Michelle D. Ransdell
@michelle-d-ransdell
10 years ago
38 posts

As some of you might know from reading my previous discussion post, I will soon be dreading my hair. What I need help with is making a decision regarding which method to use: Back-combing or neglect?

My hair type: Long, thick, Caucasian, not fine or thin by stretch of the imagination. It seems to have a natural tendency to 'cling' to itself to form small sections throughout the day. Brushing it is a nightmare--it hurts! And that's one the main reasons I'm choosing to dread because I hate brushing!

I was hoping anyone who reads this can tell me what method they used and how well it worked or didn't work. Also, if you use the neglect method, how do you keep your hair from forming into one great big mat or big amorphous globs? I mean, how do you keep you little sections separated?

Please share you experiences to help me!

updated by @michelle-d-ransdell: 01/13/15 10:01:31PM
DreadieFuzz
@dreadiefuzz
10 years ago
11 posts
You could section your hair with rubber bands I wish I could be of more help I'm a week in my 2nd set and I did the r&t banded at root and tip and I'm going to let them do their thing I'll keep posted but so far I'm very Happy with the results
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

u dreaded naturally and wouldnt ever any other way (my hairs like yours)

to prevent huge dreads seperate as often as needed if it dreads as fast as i think u will have top separate often

just pull them away from eachother ..theres a seperating guide here in the guides abd pages

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Bob Ngarly
@bob-ngarly
10 years ago
161 posts

If your hair wants to dread naturally after only a day or two, i would suggest just going with that. THe backcomb can be discouraging because you lose progress before you make it. It also is a lot of work and likey to come undone. If you are worried about congoing, you could section your hair and leave it to dread naturally. or you could let your sections begin to take form, and then clean them up with a rat tail comb along the sections that your hair seems to naturally prefer. Cleaning up sections with a comb is not that hard, considering your hair will be no where near dreaded after a few weeks, which is usually when your sections begin to form. I have used just about every method, on my current set of dreads, go with the flow, try out what you like, but remember patience and time is the only thing that will actually make dreads. everything else we do i believe just helps our hair to look more like dreads short term. (back comb, gel, twists, etc...)

Michelle D. Ransdell
@michelle-d-ransdell
10 years ago
38 posts

*UPDATE*

I just showered and shampooed only and did not condition or comb my hair after I got out and dried off. At the moment, my hair is drying naturally and is already forming sections... Some small like yarn and some more like a pencil or an extension cord. My part is naturally off-set towards my left (if you're facing me then to your right) and somewhat zig-zagged.

Here's my current plan:

I shall continue to wash every other day as usual, since my scalp gets kinda oily. (Thanks, Dad! LOL) However, I will discontinue combing, brushing and conditioning. I will keep this up for a few weeks and see how it goes. If it seems to be working, then I'll keep going. I'll start using my hair dryer once I notice actual locks forming so as to prevent moldy dreads.

Wish me luck and do continue to reply, telling me your thoughts on this. :)

Sarah Robinson
@sarah-robinson
10 years ago
7 posts
I have used starter methods and it's time consuming. From what you've said just leave it and go natural, your hair is already telling you the answer. I will always say go natural if you can, especially if you have hair that knots up easily.Starter methods can also be really frustrating when you feel like all your hard work is being undone, going natural skips that process.
Michelle D. Ransdell
@michelle-d-ransdell
10 years ago
38 posts

You're right about starter methods being frustrating! 1.5 years ago I tried to start dreads by sectioning and back-combing and it was a pain in the ass. First off, I did it myself and since I can't see the back of my own head, it was lopsided and really terrible-looking back there. Also, I wasn't educated on how to deal with dandruff. And I was feeling like all that work I did was coming undone. It sucked. So hopefully this time I'll have dreads!

Bob Ngarly
@bob-ngarly
10 years ago
161 posts

I wouldnt worry about seperating honestly until you have some legit knotting going on too.. seperating too much too early make lead you to slow down your progress more than you think.. let those knots form.. if you need to modify a section or separate it will not be that difficult until you are months and months in.

samantha faye frock
@samantha-f
10 years ago
28 posts
I say if u want super neat dreads from the start then a start method might b for u but if u dont mind messyness and a long process then neglect them babies...I say go neglect personally
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form