dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Will dreads increase my pain?

Juniper Pärla
@juniper-prla
11 years ago
33 posts

Hi there!

Ive been thinking of getting locks for about 10 years now, and just resently I started to do som serious googeling/reading and guess how happy I got when I found this site. We dont have any sites as good as this where I come from (Sweden. I apologize for my shortcomings in spelling.)

I was not awere that I could get natural dreads just by stop combing my hair so when I found this information I instantly felt that this is the way for me.

I have a few questions still.

I suffer from some weird form of chronic pain that no doctor can figure out and therefore Im afraid that getting dreads can be painful for me. Im not at all concerned about the process, but that the weight and the pulling in the scalp will couse me pain.

Some days Im so sensitive that it hurts if someone touches me a bit to hard. I have pain in my joints and muscles mostly, but on a bad day even my skin hurts.

Is there someone here who have experience in this subject and can tell me a little about it?

updated by @juniper-prla: 02/14/15 01:26:28PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

i think you need to see a better dr ..at a teaching hospital..university hospitals often have researchers and drs that are familiar with diseases others arent even aware of

it sounds like ..umm i forget what its called but a couple members had it (marijuana is 1 effective treatment option)

the separating is what will most likely cause you the most pain doing it while wet and often enough to not have to pull hard will make it minimal pain

i have chronic neck and back pain too ..always hurting and my dreads drag on the floor so yea have some weight to them..but i hate pain meds worse then i hate pain..so you go owe owe owe sometumes but get through it

although i cant imagine the pain your in (well..breaking my back and severing every nerve all at once has got to be the most painful experience possible except being burned alive...and then i did take meds cause there was no way not to) ..wait what was my ooint im rambling haha

oh yea ..treatment options

i would highly recomend a multu treatment approach

1 get to a university hospitol for a proper diagnosis

2 accupuncture

3 herbal medicines youd probably want to consult an herboli]ogists

homeopathics

google homeopathic remeide guide or something like that there will be a bug huge form to fill out much of wich will seem irelevent but fill it out in detail questions like watery eyes itchy toes feeling dizzy in the morining etc might seem completely unrelated to pain in the skin but homeopathic diagnosis takes many things into account inclusing personality traits in order to get the best remedie...note you do not need to know the cause ofthe pain only how to describe the pain

you might just want to consult a homeopath too

sorry for my spelling mustakes too i only speak english but my keyboards got 1/2 the letters woen blank

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Juniper Pärla
@juniper-prla
11 years ago
33 posts

Burned alive? Broken back? That sound horrible. I understand youre in pain.. What happened?

I belive you are thinking of "fibromyalgi" (think its the same in english). Its not that. Not only that atleast.. They cant say for sure what it is, I just have to live with it Ive been told.
Ive seen about 8 doctors and been to two investigations in the past 9 years or so.. non can find what the problem is for sure. Ive been offerd painkillers but dont like taking them, they just make me dizzy and i can still feel the pain.

Marijuana helps partly, but its hard to come by here.
Im all for self healing and using natural remedies, have tied a few things but nothing is effective enough. I will defenitely look in to some other options as soon as I live in one place again (studiyng in one city, live in another and doing internships in a third and soon fourth city).
Thank you for the tips :)

So if i stop combing my scandinavian fine shoulderlenght hair today, when is it time to start doing the separating? Before they start to dread or sholud I let them dread a bit firts and the seperate to the size I want? Approximately how many locks should I be aming for? I like them to be quite thin.

Btw, maybe you should wish for a new keyboard for christmas? ;)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

separatre as needed if they form too thick or 2 combine quite thin like pencil sized? rule of thumb 20-30 is pretty thick 30-40 thickish 40-50 mediusm thick 50-60 mediumish 60-75 slightly thin 75-100 pretty thin over 100 real thin 200+ micro

well i broke my back in a motorcucle accident

but 1 of my dear friends burned alive

www.kathychange.org is her story..she was a revolutionary a utopitarian..and gave her life for the cause transforming herself into a torch..a beacon of change

--
Juniper Pärla
@juniper-prla
11 years ago
33 posts

Oh my what a gal Kathy was. Inspiering.
Sorry to hear about your accident but glad your here.

Yes about pencil sized. Think im gonna aim at 40 locks then and hope they wont be to heavy for my scalp to hold.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

yea shes always been an inspiration

well if u want pencil sized id go for over 60

--
Juniper Pärla
@juniper-prla
11 years ago
33 posts

Even with thin hair? Wow, sounds awsome!

i'm exited to get started now

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

thin hair its good to have a mix odf sizes a few thicker ones a couple medium and a bunch of thin to fill in make it look fuller and thicker the riiot area at the scalp determines the eventual dread size (roughly might not be exact) if u use a 1 inchsection the dread will be around 1 inch hair thickness doesnt change this (much at all anyway
)

--
Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

I'm sorry you're in so much pain, I can somewhat relate to it but in a different way. If you have dreads, you won't have to worry about it causing neck or scalp pain for a long time, if ever. It's only if they're very thick or very long that the weight starts to add up. If you're going for thin dreads, it'll most likely be when they're very long that they can add pain to the neck or scalp. And if it's not a bad idea to you, you may just trim them when they get long enough to cause pain; that way, you can keep dreads for as long as you want, but avoid them adding to your pain :)

As for separating, when the sections start to tangle together, you pull them apart to stop them joining together, that's all; do it as often as you need.

Rustdust
@rustdust
11 years ago
72 posts

I think your Dreads will make you feel better! ... what do you think Juniper Prla :-)

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form