Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Can Thin Dreads Slow Progress? Sea Salt -bad or good?

Meg5
@meg5
11 years ago
55 posts

Hey everyone :)

I stopped palm rolling, yet I still notice that my top layer is unraveling after showers. My mom even notices. Even though I have had these baby dreads for 5 1/2 months, I am thinking about spraying them with sea salt before I wash my hair to help them lock up.

First question, would this be harmful to put sea salt in them before washing each time?

Second, could my dreads be too thin and that is why they are hardly progressing? My hair just looks like a "bad hair day", and it gets so disheartening seeing timelines that have mature looking dreads by this point. I wonder if I sectioned them too thin, and should start encouraging them to congo. Is there such a thing as sectioning too thin?

p.s.) I know from my posts it must seem that all I care about is the "look" of dreads. I just wanted to share that often I am very happy with the process and not caring what they look like :) I find that this journey has already helped me in many ways. However, I have mild OCD and I suppose that is what causes me to worry so much. Thank you for your patience.

updated by @meg5: 01/13/15 10:00:28PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

sea salts fine go ahead and use it but hardly any dreads look mature at 5tr months most that tnr or backcomb are at the loosest at 4 months..you are fine

but sea salt sure wont hurt

theres no such thing as too thin..my thinnest is 1 mm x 2 mm and thats 3 dreads congoed

sometimes thicker dreads dread faster..sometimes thinner ones do

sometimes size dont matter only placement (back vs sides etc)

on 1 head u may have 4 dreads dreading fast as hell 10 slower 20 mych slower and 10 more that dont even start for a year or 2

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Meg5
@meg5
11 years ago
55 posts

Infinite thanks SE! Perhaps the biggest lesson from the dread journey for me is to let go of perfection :) Your response has helped me so much. Hope that you have been doing well!
So much love your way! <333

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form