dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Are Salons Worth it?

Olivia Alger
@olivia-alger
11 years ago
16 posts

Hey guys,

I'm writing this to get your advice on going to Salons that specialize in Caucasian dreadlocks...I was told about a place in Philadelphia, PA called "Salon Sugar" and apparently they are pretty good.

My beef with Salons is that it's always super expensive. This particular one charges $40 an hour. However, it could be worth it if they would be able to fix the shape of some of my dreads and tighten up the roots a little. Some of my dreads have like "bow ties" and "zig zags", which i know aren't always a bad thing but maybe it would help to get a professional opinion.

I'm interested to know what users of this site think of salons and whether or not the price is worth the outcome. Has anyone here ever been to a salon and had a positive experience?

updated by @olivia-alger: 02/14/15 06:32:06AM
Shane Northern
@shane-northern
11 years ago
59 posts

No need to go. The zig zags and loops are perfectly normal. No need to spend money to fix what's not broken.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

no the loops are not just "not a bad thing' but are essential and necessary to dreading

tightening the roots causes traction alopecia and balding the roots have to tighten on thier own and never be any tighter then they want to be naturally

stay away from salons i cant stress that enough

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

i looked them up and found thier fb

it looks like they specialize more in fake dreads then real ones but the "real" ones they show look like

ouch ouch ouch

oh whats worse is salonsugarphilly.com (dont go to it) is an empty page containing a virus nothing else just a virus

--
Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

All those twisted dreads look so freaky, I can't believe my eyes!

Rustdust
@rustdust
11 years ago
72 posts

No its not worth it, I've been down that road and you just end up chasing your tail .. so to speak.

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

Oh my....it makes my scalp hurt just to look at these poor people. Ouchies!!!!!!!!!!!!!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

the last 1 looks interlocked too? notice how much thinner the dreads get towards the roots?

actualy no looks like they were tied with threads? either way even as thick as they are they will be a risk of breaking off

the only thing worth visiting this salon would be is to document the horrors they cause

--
CoriElaine
@corielaine
11 years ago
173 posts

oh. my. gross. those poor people!
Salons are not worth it, even when i had wavy hair i would cut it myself. Also, there is no such thing as 'Caucasian dreadlocks'. They're just dreads. Skin has nothing to do with it.
The bumbs lumps zig zags and loops and frizzies are all necessary in order for dreads to mature.
If your looking for them to feel tighter read this thread.

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/tightening-dreads-at-the-roots

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form