Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Starting Out Alone

JaeHeeLim
@jaeheelim
11 years ago
2 posts

Hi, I'm new. And this may be a silly post, but I keep reading about how people have dread parties with friends. I recently moved and don't have any friends in my new location, so that's not an option. I'm not sure how I should start and do my because I'm solo and won't be able to make perfect spacing and parts. Any suggestions?

updated by @jaeheelim: 01/13/15 09:59:35PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

whats perfect spacing and parts?

and why would you want that?

you dont need nobody to help you

ypu dont need to do a thi9ng

just stop combing

it sections itself and dreads itself naturaly

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Bob Ngarly
@bob-ngarly
11 years ago
161 posts

I did my dreads on my own and i was determined to do something in order to "make my dreads" I was hardcore pro backcomb and pro TNR.

I sectioned my hair with a rat tail comb and rubber bands as best as i could with a hand held mirror and a bathroom mirror. the only space where i wasnt able to make good clean sections was that part where the back of the head meets the top of the head... its hard to see from above and from behind. Regardless i sectioned them as best as i could and began TNR all over my head.

It took me around 12 hours to do all of this on my own. they all came undone... Still determined to implement some method to start my dreads i backcombed at about 3 months keeping the sections that i had already made myself. some of them stayed in fairly well the majority came out again. From then i decided to quit killing myself with this dread process and just let it happen. My sections have held up pretty well over time and i think have served there purpose. Overall the time and effort i put into these starter methods was unreal and unnecessary. Looking back 5 months in from the backcomb (10 from the TNR) I wish i would have just went natural all the way utilizing separating as a means of creating the dread size instead of sectioning.

Regardless, without a doubt, sectioning or not, all my dreads love to congo with each other and you will be spending alot of itme seperating so if you think a perfect sectioning job will keep this from happening, you can go ahead and relax and just brace yourself because your going to have to do that regardless....

JaeHeeLim
@jaeheelim
11 years ago
2 posts

Thanks so much. I do feel a lot better after reading your comment. Some have just made it seem like a huge deal to properly space everything out.

Spencer Mcduffy said:

I did my dreads on my own and i was determined to do something in order to "make my dreads" I was hardcore pro backcomb and pro TNR.

I sectioned my hair with a rat tail comb and rubber bands as best as i could with a hand held mirror and a bathroom mirror. the only space where i wasnt able to make good clean sections was that part where the back of the head meets the top of the head... its hard to see from above and from behind. Regardless i sectioned them as best as i could and began TNR all over my head.

It took me around 12 hours to do all of this on my own. they all came undone... Still determined to implement some method to start my dreads i backcombed at about 3 months keeping the sections that i had already made myself. some of them stayed in fairly well the majority came out again. From then i decided to quit killing myself with this dread process and just let it happen. My sections have held up pretty well over time and i think have served there purpose. Overall the time and effort i put into these starter methods was unreal and unnecessary. Looking back 5 months in from the backcomb (10 from the TNR) I wish i would have just went natural all the way utilizing separating as a means of creating the dread size instead of sectioning.

Regardless, without a doubt, sectioning or not, all my dreads love to congo with each other and you will be spending alot of itme seperating so if you think a perfect sectioning job will keep this from happening, you can go ahead and relax and just brace yourself because your going to have to do that regardless....

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

those people are silly and most likely use extremely harmful methods after

they also have checkerboard patern for months

they look way better with totaly random sectioning

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
SimpleSpiveys
@simplespiveys
11 years ago
58 posts
There is a wikihow unfortunately that explains "the way" to dread your hair, it's a process that is totally manicured and totally wrong. The only thing I did think was a good idea was the "sectioning" step but with a tweak: after the dreads have sectioned themselves, to wrap with embroidery thread temporarily at least a few inches from the scalp to prevent Congo pain. That is something I wish I had done on day five since my whole head wanted to dread together so fast. I didn't do it as quickly as I should have and a few snips had to be made, but they are all separate at this point and I'm glad we didnt do the more socially accepted, yet destructive, method(s) of dreading. Your hair has its own attitude and watching it do it's thing is very interesting... Plus it teaches you to accept and appreciate yourself in a completely natural state. It did for me, anyway.Hopefully you take the almost no maintenance plunge on your journey so you can sit back and enjoy the ride.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form