Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Why no touch?

Jayke Watson
@jayke-watson
11 years ago
118 posts
I don't really get any people are so in favour of the no touch method when it comes to washing and drying locks, I understand that it may help you progress faster but if the point you're dreading is to let go of vanity or to be closer to the natural way of having hair then I think it's just really silly/vain/unnatural to treat your hair differently just for the sake of progress. if you really wanted natural hair or to not care how your hair looks then you'd just treat it like normal without combing? it's easier to wash and dry your hair if you scrub your scalp a little and use a towel (if you need it dried quick, otherwise I do prefer air drying because it's nicer). Not criticising just wondering, anyone want to tell me why?
updated by @jayke-watson: 01/13/15 09:59:23PM
taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

Because people use their fingers to comb through the hair when washing without even realizing it. It undoes any knots that have formed. You should scrub your scalp. It helps wash way any flakes. I have always dried my hair with a towel. I don't go crazy with the towel but i do try to get the excess water out so that it does not drip down my back all day. It still takes several hours to air dry after that.

Bob Ngarly
@bob-ngarly
11 years ago
161 posts
I agree I play with my hair ALOT. And it's knotting up very fast for 4 months.
Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

I agree. I think if the knots that form are strong enough they will stay, and if touching, drying with a towel or scrubbing my scalp/hair will cause them to fall out, then they will probably fall out anyway. Dreads are not a fragile thing, I have never been careful of baby dreads or anything like that, my little boy breaks and pulls hair out all the time, his fingers get caught and so on. I dont care about "loose hair". I know that most people don't understand my hair, that does not bother me, I understand it, it is what it is, that is all there is to it. I say, wash your hair, don't be too gentle, I squeeze the water out, I squeeze the water out again with the towel, I don't separate like mad, dreads is a long term thing. I treat them well, I am just not into being so careful that every little knot is saved. Wash properly and the dreads will come quick enough, they come no matter what you do anyway.

peace

Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

I agree, everyone has the right to do as they wish, but some folks don't have any experience with it, so I'd like to save them the trouble, because if some folks think, " I must be sooo careful", thats alot of trouble to go through, and if they could avoid it they would. So, I'm saying give up the careful approach if you want to, because you can. I have grown total neglect dreads and I've started dreads, after the initial session on the backcombing I have treated them the same, they feel the same to me, the inner feeling is there, I recognise it, it is spiritual, started or neglected, some folks can't see that, its the inner approach rather than the outer. Its the letting go, is my opinion. and that is what Jayke is asking about, I think.

peace

Jayke Watson
@jayke-watson
11 years ago
118 posts

Yeah I got nothing against people doing it but it confuses me when the same people say they are 'rejecting vanity' by having dreads. It doesn't make your dreads any less valuable whether or not you care how they look but I think you should be comfortable admitting that you do care if you do. And dreads can be just as spiritual if they are waxy and crocheted every 10 minutes, its all in your views and reasoning behind it. If you can justify it to yourself then it doesn't matter what people say (when it comes to this, in other situations I think there are 'rights' and 'wrongs').

Yeah hearty firey man I didn't mean to come off as rude or anything it just you were hating cops without any substance or real reasoning.

Rafael Rodriguez
@rafael-rodriguez
11 years ago
41 posts

When I wash my hair, I make sure to make sewwt love to it with my hands, then is like angry sex. Do I progress slower? Maybe, still got loc'd up in less than 5 months. Oh my hair texture <3

I tried the no hands method, I didn't know if I was clean or not. I guess I just like to touch my hair/scalp.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form