Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dreadlock shampoo!!

deathwish
@deathwish
11 years ago
17 posts

Hi, I'm around 7-8 months of free-forming and I've tried 3 soaps so far. I did the BS/ACV wash for about a month or two, then I bought a liquid nag champa from dreadlockshampoo and now I'm currently finishing a bar of cedar, sweetgrass and sag also from dreadlockshampoo.

the thing is, I'm king of annoyed with the fact that i have to order them online. I was wondering if anyone knows good shampoo for dreads (no residue and no mold after a while) that are sold in stores? Like at Walmart, a pharmacy or either Target (cause we have one here now!!:D) ? I live in Canada, 15 minutes from Ottawa so I was wondering if someone knows any brands or something that would be lovely to my dreads :)

thanks!

updated by @deathwish: 02/14/15 02:41:20AM
Nicole Schaefer
@nicole-schaefer
11 years ago
70 posts

dr. bronner's is good for washing, if diluted. Just make sure you don't have hard water because it can leave residue!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

exactly bronners diluted 12-1 (12 times more water)

but search for a canada hard water map if you got hard water keep using the dreadlckshampoo

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Filip Radulovic
@filip-radulovic
10 years ago
17 posts
You could make your own african black soap, its not that hard to make and its very water soluble, to the extend that you have to cut a peace of ot when you go to the shower so you dont touch the rest with wet hands or so it doesnt go to waste in the shower itself, also its better to cut a peace of it so you dont use to much on your dreads so its hard to rinse out...
x ))O(( Davi ))O(( x
@x-o-davi-o-x
10 years ago
4 posts

Hey here's an easy answer for ya!

Go to the Whole Foods you have there in Ottawa and go to the soap bar section of the store. There, you will find THIS http://www.mountainskysoap.com/product/rasta-bar-hemp-rippin-shampoo-soap-bar/

Mountain sky is a product from BC and their line is awesome as well as their shampoo bar made especially for dreads! It lathers amazingly, and it smells awesome. Best of all it's all natural and it is the MOST affordable soap bar I've ever seen! I've seen it range from $3.99 to $4.99 depending on the health food store. If the Ottawa location is too far then call around to local shops and see if they got it.

Enjoy!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

nowhere does it say or imply that its for dreads except the so fake jamaican mockery of the language

however if it is ok on dreads its made for african dreads since its loaded with moisturizers ..it would be disasterouse for young dreads anyway

--
x ))O(( Davi ))O(( x
@x-o-davi-o-x
10 years ago
4 posts

I know, the way they write about it on the site sounds so childish lol I hating reading that, it bothers me. When I get a bar, ingredients are top priority, hell I don't even care if it's in a box. But this is their only "shampoo" bar on the line, and it's pretty much the only bar I can find for hair that is satisfying and hasn't given me a single issue, and over the years I've tried my share of hand-crafted...and I gotta be lucky enough to find them at farmers markets and festivals especially, oy! Rare little jems they be! So this atleast I can find at health food stores that doesn't involve buying a mystery off the internet that could be worse, could be the same, or could be better. It's a gamble.

But alas, to each their own, and to each a constant ever evolving learning experience.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

these are the best and are so awesome you'll want to wash your dreads 10 times more often just cause its such a pleasure www.dreadlockshampoo.com check out those ingredients pure yumminess

--
x ))O(( Davi ))O(( x
@x-o-davi-o-x
10 years ago
4 posts

They do have a pretty sweet philosophy, I dig that, even on the fair trade stuff! Because yeah even if it's fair trade and all that, they're just fairly depleting sensitive resources and areas, unless it's a controlled family owned property or something =X Pretty cool ideals nonetheless. The ONLY thing that scares me:
"A sales order of $10.00 to $45.00ships for a flat rate of $23.95anywhere in the world." and I'm considered international...I wonder why so much?! I've ordered much bigger, heavier items from shops in the States and I've only paid a small fraction....ah well. The varieties of bars are quite intriguing and inspiring.

So how long does a bar last? Based on length/amount of washes? I've had bars that last, I've had bars that washed away. These ones do look pretty big.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

they are and they lask months typically using them several times a week

she thouroughly researches the sources of every ingredient to make sire they are ethical

oh and most of the income goes to a special needs performers group she runs

as for shipping canadas a lower rate then international much lower not much higher then isa rate

and shes searched for cheaper shippimg and doing the flat rates the cheapest she found i guess amazon and sites like that have mega volume discounts so can ship cheaper since they ship millions a day

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form