dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Neck problems while running

Rebecca
@sylar
11 years ago
2 posts

Hi Dread lovers,

Any suggestions on the following topic would be greatly received!

I have quite heavy long dreads, which generally cause me very few problems (apart from the old hair roots giving me the constant snow sprinkled appearance of a person having dandruff issues) This however up until two weeks ago...

While out running (in the Berlin Marathon, so quite a long way!) I started to become aware of my neck being pulled backwards. For a while I was able to lift my head and tilt the weight of my hair forwards over my shoulders, (by this I just mean that every time it went back I'd shove my chin down again.) This went on for a while and I convinced myself that doing it was giving me something to focus on. As time went on however, and I inevitably became weaker, I had to try to think of more and more ways to keep my head upright. By the end of the marathon I was tremendously uncomfortable. Even, to put it mildly, I was a wild haired, air gasping, bent necked lunatic! It really put me in a bloody bad mood with my hair, despite of all of the wonderful support I'd got on the way around from dread headed people of all countries. It even made me think about the 'S' word (scissors)

A similar experience did occur previously, while I was swimming...

Metta <3

updated by @sylar: 02/03/18 03:29:22PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

if its tied back pulling your head back take 1/2 and throw it over each shoulder tio hang in the front

other options before running tie a dread around the dreads on ti]op of your head

adjust for ballance once you find the sweet spot your good

you could also use the weight of your hair while wet to strengthen the neck muscles

while soaking wet flip it forward while lifying it with your head puk=lling back then flip back pull forward then side to side etc

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Laura Earle
@laura-earle
11 years ago
233 posts

I was thinking about this today too!! Well, I wasn't running a marathon though, haha I run on a regular basis, and usually wear myhair in a gigantic bun. It was killlinnggg my neck today. I'm gonna try some teddy ear buns instead. I'll look like a total tool, but oh well. XD As long as they're out of my face.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form