Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

hey everybody! Let's discuss...shampoo!!

Nicole Schaefer
@nicole-schaefer
11 years ago
70 posts

So I have been doing lots of research trying to find a shampoo that will work best for me. I have hard water at my place and I cannot afford to get a water softener.. I have heard excellent things about dreadlocksshampoo... but I don't currently have a debit card, and I just don't really want to order shampoo online every time I need it. I own Dr. B's but it doesn't quite work in hard water. I also bought this non residue nutrogena stuff but it completely stripped my hair of all it's natural oils, so that's off the list. Currently, I'm washing my hair at my boyfriends place because he has softer water, and I'm using baking soda/apple cider vinegar w/ some tea tree in the baking soda. However, in the research I've done baking soda can weaken the hair because your hairs natural pH is around 4-5 and bs has a ph of 8! So using it drastically alters your hairs pH very quickly.. then applying apple cider vinegar (with a ph of 2-3) drops it back down so fast..which also damages hair. I have read the same thing about Castile soap.

So, I really don't know what to use. I want to wash my hair with something that will not strip my hair of it's natural oils (pH balanced) but also something that won't leave a residue. I do not mind having to only wash my hair at my boyfriends because I only have to do so twice a week, so the hard water is not that much of an issue for me.

I found this recipe online but i'm not sure if it would leave a residue.

If anyone knows, that would be much appreciated! Also, if anyone has other recommendations I would love to hear them. (: Thanks all!!!

updated by @nicole-schaefer: 02/14/15 03:17:45AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

sounds very conditioning

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

It is just under half Aloe vera, I personally think that is too conditioning. But without trying it, I couldn't say for sure. So, I guess you would need to try it and let us know. I wouldn't recommend this shampoo for dreads because of all that Aloe. There is a recipe on here that uses besan (chickpea) flour, from South India. I have posted the link below. I use dreadlockshampoo, so that is all I can truly recommend from experience, maybe you can have some one with a debit card buy it for you? It is really good.

peace

Jill
@jill
11 years ago
1 posts

I use Vital Goods Nag Champa and I love it!

Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts

Dreadlockshampoo.com bars last for a long time. You can order 3 and be set for months. Do you have a bank account at all? If you do, you can set up a free PayPal account and pay for it that way, no need for a debit card.

I've been using bs/acv off and on for just over 2 years, sometimes for months at a time. I've had no adverse effects that I can tell. My loose hair is still soft, my roots are happy and my dreads are dready. If you add a couple drops of jojoba oil to the mix, that can help keep hair from getting too brittle and it helps keep scalps happy.

Nicole Schaefer
@nicole-schaefer
11 years ago
70 posts

Thank you all for the responses. I think I will keep using bs/acv until/if I see negative side affects. Maybe I will set up a paypal too and order a bar, since I have heard such great things!! You can even use the bars in hard water correct?

Nicole Schaefer
@nicole-schaefer
11 years ago
70 posts

That sounds interesting!! Do you know where I could buy some? And how much it would cost?

Tim said:

Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts

Yes, they can be used in hard water. I believe they were designed for hard water use. I use mine as body soap too!

Nicole Schaefer said:

Thank you all for the responses. I think I will keep using bs/acv until/if I see negative side affects. Maybe I will set up a paypal too and order a bar, since I have heard such great things!! You can even use the bars in hard water correct?

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form