Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Cold Weather And Dreads/Scalp Care

Cozmo G
@cozmo-g
11 years ago
4 posts

Hello, my dready brothers and sisters! As I sit here at my laptop, the mercury is dropping outside my window. This will be my first winter with actual dreads. I've been dreading for over 16 months, but they didn't truly lock until early spring of this year. Truth is, when the weather was cold last year, that was the closest I came to cutting my babies off. My scalp, my skin and my hair are all extremely sensitive to cold, dry air. I was itchy, cold and miserable, but I didn't give up!

So, with that said, who would like to share their hints, tips, success stories, etc. about any challenges that you have faced during cold weather? Do you do anything extra for maintenance? Do you cover your dreads to protect them from wind/the elements? Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!

updated by @cozmo-g: 01/13/15 09:58:30PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

i dont wear a jacket usualy (unless im out for hours then a sweatshirt or something) my dreads keep me warm enough to go out in a t shirt

no i dont wrap them up or anything i let them hang loose around me

if i am out for hours and its brutally cold i wrap em scarf like around my neck

but typicaly i go out in a t shirt and thats it

its the heat with dreads making my brain cook that really gets to me

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Cozmo G
@cozmo-g
11 years ago
4 posts

Your dreads are awesome, SE...It's pretty cool that you can actually use them as a scarf to keep you warm...Mine are almost to my shoulders at this point, so it will be a while 'til I can do that. I hope they do keep my head warm, though!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

a bald head would be muc h colder

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lucid
@lucid
11 years ago
2 posts

i wear a tuque, it keeps me warm and they look badass