dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Separating Questions

Meg5
@meg5
11 years ago
55 posts

Hello :)

I was wondering, is it okay if my separating is not perfect? I separate every day, often with olive oil. I do make some progress, but usually the dreads are still attached a little bit. It's very difficult for me to separate the dreads in the back, as I cannot see them. I'm worried that I'll end up having huge dreads, and feel like separating should not be this hard.

Also, my dreads are beginning to get thicker and the beads are too small for most of them (compared to the size of the dreads above the bead). I'm afraid to take them out because they prevent a lot of congos. Should I take the beads out anyway?
Thank you!

updated by @meg5: 01/13/15 09:58:26PM
Brett
@brett
11 years ago
28 posts

How far in are you? they like to congo a lot in the first few months then settle down after a while. Ultimately it comes down to whether or not you're okay with having a few bigger dreads, I'd say ditch the olive oil unless your hair's really against separating. In my experience I've found that separating too much can slow things down a little and it works better to spread separating out over the week, focus more on the back or whatever side you sleep on because it'll be the most trouble. as for the bead, if it's restricting movement then defs take it out and maybe wrap it up instead so at least if it starts to congo you know what goes where. if they're attached and sort of webbing up at the roots then that's pretty normal.

Meg5
@meg5
11 years ago
55 posts

Thank you so much for your response! I've had my dreads for three months now. I do want to take the beads out, but I don't have any wraps to replace them with. I'll take them out today and see how it goes :)
I'd rather have thinner dreads personally. I guess I'll just have to keep separating like crazy haha!

Brett
@brett
11 years ago
28 posts

3 months is probably the most fun because you can see it all starting to happen. :P if you're going for thinner dreads then maybe do all your separating over 2 or 3 days rather than a week and just sort of restart the cycle once you finish because they have a habit of totally fusing in a week(I'm okay with it as long as it's not huge but it may not be the look you're after)

Meg5
@meg5
11 years ago
55 posts

Thanks a ton, that was a huge help! :)
It is so fun seeing them loop and zig zag! They don't look anything like hair or dreads, just creatures haha
I think I am going to leave the beads in, and hopefully buy some larger ones :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form