Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Should I comb out my dreads?

dizzy
@dizzy
11 years ago
21 posts

It's been three months since I stopped combing my hair, and I have little progress. I have one dread at the nape of my neck that is quite locked, but all the others just look almost like regular hair! They're very thin and often come apart in water. I'm beginning to think my hair type is impossible for natural dreads, which really bums me out. I have heavy, dense, silky semi-straight hair that never holds a curl.

I feel I'll never have dreads, so the question is, should I just give up and comb them out?
And don't bs me, if you don't think my dreads will ever form or look nice, don't just tell me to be patient.

I've attached a picture for reference.

Btw, that's on a good day, when my hair decides to be a little more adventurous rather than being stick-straight and flat.

updated by @dizzy: 01/13/15 09:58:12PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

u got 1 dread..stick it out the rest will follow soon

look at ixchel

hers were just sections like yours for 8 months then 1 day she had a dread and a month later a whole head of dreads

your on the way just stick with it and eventualy you'll have many more

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
dizzy
@dizzy
11 years ago
21 posts

That gives me more hope. You don't think they'll stay so thin?

soaring eagle said:

look at ixchel

hers were just sections like yours for 8 months then 1 day she had a dread and a month later a whole head of dreads

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

they thicken as they mature once mature u can let them congo if too thin

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
dizzy
@dizzy
11 years ago
21 posts

Phew, good. I'll definitely let some of em congo. Thanks.

soaring eagle said:

they thicken as they mature once mature u can let them congo if too thin

Ixchel
@ixchel
11 years ago
597 posts

yes look at me! lol there are a few others that had it take several months or near a year to start anything as well. some of us just need plenty of time. it can be frustrating at times, but you just have to relax & let it go. forget about your hair for a while, they will do what they need to without your worry. go on with your life, & then one day you'll get a compliment from a stranger or catch a glimpse of yourself & they will have come a very long way. check out my timeline, slowly but surely beautiful things will happen <3

what are you washing with & how are you washing & drying? sometimes these things can make a difference as well.
soaring eagle said:

look at ixchel

dizzy
@dizzy
11 years ago
21 posts

Thank you so much for replying, and I normally wash with baking soda every four or five days. My hair takes a while to get dirty when I use that. If I run out and can't get more, I use a clarifying shampoo with no leftover residue and no conditioning properties.

I'm allergic to basically everything so I love baking soda XD

And I always always ALWAYS air dry. Blowdrying has never worked for me, it takes 45 minutes plus, and it's still damp! And that's when I have un-knotted hair.

Ixchel said:

yes look at me! lol there are a few others that had it take several months or near a year to start anything as well. some of us just need plenty of time. it can be frustrating at times, but you just have to relax & let it go. forget about your hair for a while, they will do what they need to without your worry. go on with your life, & then one day you'll get a compliment from a stranger or catch a glimpse of yourself & they will have come a very long way. check out my timeline, slowly but surely beautiful things will happen <3

what are you washing with & how are you washing & drying? sometimes these things can make a difference as well.
soaring eagle said:

look at ixchel

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form