Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I don't wash my hair, am i alone?

sonora
@sonora
11 years ago
4 posts

so for about a year now i have not washed my hair, and haven't brushed it in about five years. 3 months ago, my scalp was covered with one giant matte which i ripped apart then twist n ripped, and now i'm just letting my hair do it's thing. i've continued not washing my hair. the reason i began to get rid of shampoo/conditioner is that they just strip you of oils then put artificial ones back in, and with just rinsing my hair, it originally got very greasy, but now it rarely does, and i rinse my hair every two days.

i was just wondering if there's anyone else on this site who's got a similar regimen to me. many of the forums about washing bring up "you CAN wash dreads" but what about people who choose not to? are you out there??

updated by @sonora: 02/14/15 08:12:39AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

rinsing will not remove dirt..we had 1 guy with 8 year old dreads that were never washed..they were 1/3 the length of mine..and 5 times the weight

its ok to not use shampoo but you got to use something that cleans like the baking soda deep cleanse

i want you to do it just once..and catch the rinse water in a bowlor bucket or sink and take a picture of it

i think you will be shocked at how much dirt was in them

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Laura Earle
@laura-earle
11 years ago
233 posts

You're definitely not alone. I've heard of countless other dreadies that choose not to wash, but I personally don't think it's the best idea. As you can see, a lot of other people here feel the same way about it, too.

Do you need to wash your hair every day? No, no, no. Especially not if you have dreads.

Do you need to use shampoo/conditioner when you wash? Mmmnope, baking soda and ACV are worlds better for you, the environment, and heck, even your wallet.

But washing your hair is, and hopefully always will be, part of maintaining proper hygiene. Washing a couple times a week with something that balances your scalp's pH dramatically decreases sebum production, but it won't make your hair/scalp invincible. There's still dust, germs, and other assorted forms of grime in your house, at your place of work...everywhere you go. It may not look like it's in your hair, but it is.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

just spend a week in any city without showering.. your skin gets coated with a thick black grime you can scrape off and get caked under your nails.. the air in a city ius filled with tire rubber grime and polutants

lets not forget that the tsunami that hit japan sent a radioactive cloud circling the globe ..containing plutonium

point is theres nastty stuff just in the air that can accumulate obver tine if not washed away

--
jazzymomma
@jazzymomma
11 years ago
175 posts

wow an nope lol to be honest most ppl that donr washem use alot waxes and r icky sticky dreads in which are much dirtier an heavier than washed residue free dreads...this isnt an opinion lol its fact haha :0 peace an yea SE is the bomb

jazzymomma
@jazzymomma
11 years ago
175 posts

heres a link to my discussion :) http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/importance-of-washing-your-locks

happy dreading peace b with u

CoriElaine
@corielaine
11 years ago
173 posts

There are people who choose not to wash, I however wash every 3-5 days with soap from Vicki @ dreadlocksshampoo.com. I did just use water when I first started my locs because I didnt have a bank card yet, and they got a bit of a smell too em. (all is fine with that now though!) Happy dreading my friend. :)

sonora
@sonora
11 years ago
4 posts

welllll i'm glad i took all of your advice! my dreads didn't have a smell to them, other than cigarettes (nasty habit, need to quit...), but there were places that they were rock solid, which i'm assuming was from dirt. i did the baking soda/acv thing tonight, and soaring eagle, i took pictures.

i dipped my head into a sink full of warm water half an hour after i put the baking soda in my hair. only DIPPED my head, ONCE. no ringing out or anything, because i was so disgusted i needed to get away from it. i have pictures of the whole sink, of the residue it left on my sink (ewwww) and i stopped the draining part way through to just puke in my mind. kinda pissed i didn't do this earlier, BEFORE i deep cleaned my bathroom...

however, i for sure will be doing this soak and rinse thing at least once a week from now on!!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

they shiuldnt be rock hard arent they softer more confortable..and even lighter now?

--
sonora
@sonora
11 years ago
4 posts

indeed! my head feels great :)

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form