Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Some questions about my dreads

Johan Larsson
@johan-larsson
11 years ago
3 posts

Hello. I got some questions about my dreadlocks but first i will tell you how i started dreads.

I started dreads in june, this year (2013) because a friend of mine is studying to become a hair stylist. I didn't have plans to start dreads, i actually planned to cut off my hair so that's why she could do dreads on me first.

The method that was used was backcombing and a little bit of crocheting.

I figured i could keep the hair during the summer and see how it turned out,and cut them in August.

Now it's september and i haven't cut them yet because i actually like it and feel a little "spiritual bond" to my hair.

The question i have is: I want natural dreads but can my dreads turn out natural if they were backcombed? I haven't crocheted them since my friend "made them".

Should i cut off my hair or start over, or will my dreads turn out looking good anyway?

No wax were used, no products at all (except that little bit of crocheting.

I hope you can understand my english, i'm not as good at english as i wish i were.

updated by @johan-larsson: 02/14/15 05:18:22AM
ZoeyRainsMom
@zoeyrainsmom
11 years ago
122 posts

I know you can't undo the damage you've already done but I think they look good! I say ride it out all natural from now on and see how it goes. In my opinion, I don't think they look crocheted or backcombed. Good luck and happy dreading!!!

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Like Brandi said, you can't undo the damage. But if you don't mess with them anymore, they will turn out ok. Crocheting does delay progress by about 6 months. And they will be messier for a while because of it. But don't freak out. Your locks will turn out fine. 1 session with a crochet hook isn't enough to destroy locks

Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

Well, natural often refers to the method started as well as the process. So if your dreads were started by backcombing and crochet, you'd say that's how you started them, but since then you do nothing at all, so the journey is natural from that point.

You don't have to cut them off. You could comb them out and start over natural, but even then, you don't need to, your dreads will turn out fine if you let them do their thing :) so it's a personal decision.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

natural means occurring in nature without the intervention of man so the backcomb and crochet was intervention

so you wouldnt be able to call them natural dreads ..however

naturalized you can and they look well on their way to recovery

they will look more natural then most crochetted drerads

if you want actual natural dreads dont cut..use a ton of conditioners and comb them out gently..then let them dread naturally

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Johan Larsson
@johan-larsson
11 years ago
3 posts

Thanks for all the good answers and tips. I think i'll just ride it out and see how they turn up. A friend of mine started his dreadlocks about a year ago and he's been using crochets and wax and they doesn't look like dreads at all, more like hair "needled" together (i hope you understand what i mean)

I will do an update when they're a year old :)

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

That's exactly how crocheted and waxed locks will always look. That is because they are not locks. They are not mature. In fact, if you tried to pull one apart, it would do so very easily. Mature locks should only be able to be pulled apart if they are brushed gently for weeks-months with a ton of conditioner

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

yea crochetted and waxed dreads never look right

if he dewaxed and threw away the hook it might take 2 years to recover and dread right

but you should let him know how bad that stuff is

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Johan Larsson
@johan-larsson
11 years ago
3 posts

The thing is i haven't used any wax on my dreads.

They've only been backcombed and a bit of crocheting in the beginning.

I'm thinking about comb them out but i haven't decided yet

Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

Your dreads will look more like natural dreads once enough time has passed for your hair to recover from the crocheting. The damage will not be able to be fixed, but the hair will still dread fine after a while :) so it's a personal decision, but just don't feel like your only option is to comb them out.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form