Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Help with getting dreadlocks for my hair type?

Opal Raye
@opal-raye
11 years ago
3 posts

So basically I have thin, fine straight hair. I was never able to curl my hair before because it was so thin and just went back to being straight. I looked after my hair pretty well though and never used any harmful dyes. 3 months ago I decided I'd stop brushing my hair. Along with this I decided I'd get dreads. They were the perfect idea of a hairstyle I'd want, low maintenance and just simply beautiful. Since then I've made a few twist and rip dreads but what I really want are natural freeform dreads. I have two tiny ones but I had to kind of help them to stay as dreads. I love the look of them though. They are so soft and free. The only thing is that the rest of my hair is staying completely straight and free from knots.
Is there anything I could do to help my hair begin to knot up?
Ways of washing my hair or natural products I could use?
My hair looks like typical Scandinavian straight blonde hair (even though I'm actually half Irish)
The grow out from my twist and rip ones is starting knot and loop up so should I continue with this method?

Any advice would be helpful anyways.

Thanks!! C:

updated by @opal-raye: 01/13/15 09:57:01PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

what are u washing with now

id switch to www.dreadlockshampoo.com or the baking soda method the bs might be better early on the pink sea salt from that site will help tho for sure

how are u washig and =drying (with what and technique)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Opal Raye
@opal-raye
11 years ago
3 posts

I have been using whatever I find to wash my hair lately. I had been using purple shampoo also just to bring out the blonde tones in my hair in the summer.
I actually made a salt spray at home with water, pink salt and lemon juice and put it in my hair while damp and I found that to help.
I think I will try the baking soda method next time I go to wash my hair simply because I have baking soda at home so I don't need to buy anything.
Thanks for the help!
soaring eagle said:

what are u washing with now

id switch to www.dreadlockshampoo.com or the baking soda method the bs might be better early on the pink sea salt from that site will help tho for sure

how are u washig and =drying (with what and technique)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

dont add lemmon just sea salt no lemmon

and dont use regular shampoos

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
11 years ago
393 posts

Regarding the use of baking soda and water to "Wash" your hair.

Because baking soda doesn't strip away as much of your natural scalp oils as other shampoos do. Expect your hair to be a little bit more oily when you wake up the next morning.

If you choose to "Wash" your hair with baking soda exclusively your scalp will eventually produce less oil and therefore allow you to wash your hair less often.

There is nothing wrong with using baking soda, I personally use the baking soda "wash." Just be informed and know what to expect.

Oh, my hair has a fine texture also.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form