Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Obligatory Timeline

Laura Earle
@laura-earle
11 years ago
233 posts

I guess the idea of a timeline is to track one's progress as the months go on, so I'm a little late on this. But I'm bored right now, so here you go. :)

My journey hasn't been as exciting as some members'. Perhaps this is why it never occurred to me to start a timeline. Sure, I've seen plenty of progress over the past year, and it's definitely exciting to me, but I'm not sure if it'd be as interesting to others.

Let's begin at square one, shall we...

Used to dye and flatiron my hair. Did this for eight years. It was fun while it lasted, and I don't regret it. However, one day I realized that, after so many years of spending 1+ hours on my hair every morning, I was running out of steam. Needed a change. I wanted to do better things with my time (and money!).

The $150 flatiron was the first thing to go.

I honestly don't remember what initially inspired me to start researching dreadlocks, but I began to take an interest in them sometime in late July of 2012. Never been one to make split-second decisions, yet my decision to dread was almost made overnight. I wasn't going to dread because I thought the hairstyle was hot, nor was I going to do it for spiritual reasons. I threw the comb out because I wanted to start appreciating myself for who I was, and focus on things other than my appearance (for the most part -- obviously, I still enjoy makeup. As an art medium, at least). And, you know, save a buck or two...dye is expensive.

I put a few test dreads in and, a few days later, decided to just let everything dread. Started washing my hair with Dr. B...saw some locks-to-be forming within a month!

But then I pulled a dick move on my hair and attempted to dye it again. Goodbye locklets. :( Dyed my hair back to its natural color and started over, hoping for the best.

The bright red was my identity -- everyone knew me as the chick with the bright red hair, so it was rough to give it up. Yet, wouldn't you know, it began to take on a red-gold hue this summer, when I started going out in the sun more often. I see what you did there, Mother Nature.

After 3ish months, my hair was looking very asylum-chic, but I learned how to tie it back using matted pieces/dreads-to-be. That was around the time my "WTF dread" formed as well. How my biggest dread managed to form in the front, right alongside my face (and not in the back, where hair supposedly knots a lot more quickly), I do not know. WTF.

At around the 6-month mark, I already had more locks than hair. I switched from Dr B to BS/ACV, since the Dr B was making my scalp ITCH AND BURN LIKE NOBODY'S BUSINESS. Sometimes, I would cancel plans and go straight home from work, just so I could RAKE my hands across my scalp and scratch the daylights out of it. But there had to be a solution. I didn't freak out and think I was getting dandruff. I didn't spam dreadlocks site with frantic pleas for help. I read up on how apple cider vinegar is an old folk remedy for curing the flakes, and decided to give it a try. Did a baking soda soak beforehand for good measure. BAM. No more flakes.

My hair was almost completely locked up at ten months. I was getting a tad impatient, so I did some experimental TnR and backcombed dreads to lock up the rest. They turned out pretty rad. The backcombed dreads are doing some crazy loopage, and the TnR'd dreads have this awesome spiral-y look to them.

I TnR'd my bangs at 11 months, and they turned out fine as well. But then my curiosity got the best of me, and I tested out the crochet needle on them. Not so fine. No regrets, though. Now I know what it does. One of my bang-dreads is going to be kind of frizzy and damaged for awhile, but I'll deal. I still wouldn't judge someone for crocheting very sparingly, just to neaten things up when they get really bad, but I don't think I can be arsed to do it again.

Yesterday was the one-year mark, and I couldn't be happier. It really was time for a change last summer, and I think it's one of the best changes I've made, to date.

:)

updated by @laura-earle: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

aww too cute

and love the wtf dread

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ojas Acharya
@ojas-acharya
11 years ago
172 posts

Happy 1 year !!

Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

Great timeline, lots of progress, and I disagree with you because it was interesting :)

Laura Earle
@laura-earle
11 years ago
233 posts

Well, I'm glad my timeline momentarily captivated your interests. :) Thanks guys.

la Renarde
@la-renarde
11 years ago
54 posts

Happy dreadiversary! You're so cute and funny <3

Laura Earle
@laura-earle
11 years ago
233 posts

Thanks! :) And thanks for subbing on YouTube as well.

Wagosh Sionnach Matsheshu said:

Happy dreadiversary! You're so cute and funny <3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form