dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Congo Coming Undone.

KafkaX
@kafkax
11 years ago
69 posts

Howdy yall! :)

As some of you know my locks have been going through a lot of changes the past few months, and heres a perfect example that I need feedback on.

I got a Congo thats trying to seperate on its own...Do I seperate it? Or just keep letting it seperate on its own?

Here are some pics.

Thank you <333

updated by @kafkax: 02/14/15 03:52:31AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

leave it i doubt youv be able to seoerate that without exreeme harm it should self heal if not it'll be just all the more interesting

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
KafkaX
@kafkax
11 years ago
69 posts

Yeah thats pretty much what I was thinking...Its just over the past few months it keeps separating more and more...

I guess if it wants to be seperated, it will seperate itself, at its own pace. If it wants to stay together, it will stay together. :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

ifu want u can wrap the split and it should fuse

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

was it a forced congo?

--
KafkaX
@kafkax
11 years ago
69 posts

Yeah, but very early on in the journey. I had a bead that held the two together for well over a year, and even when I took the bead off, it was wrapped after. Thought that would be enough time to solidify together.

Is that the reason its coming undone?

Im afraid to wrap my hair, because everytime Ive wrapped my hair it weakens the shafts dramatically and ends up breaking off later down the road after the wrap comes off.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

very possibly

just like forced sections try to reject the sectioning

and especialy forcing a congo early isnt smart

you had to force it together over a year

instead of just letting it congo where it wanted wich takes 3 months typicaly

it may want to split into the dreads it wanted to be b4 u forced it

post a new discussion on why forcing congoes isnt such a great idea

--
KafkaX
@kafkax
11 years ago
69 posts

I think we should make a thread all about congos which will encompass why or why not to force combine.

What category should it be in? Maintenance? Dreadlock Styles?

Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

I'd just leave them to it. If they're gonna separate, they'll do it on their own without any damage, as opposed to you forcibly separating them. I had a congo joined together very early on too, it was an accidental one. It completely took though and now looks like a normal dread, so pretty boring for a congo lol. So I think letting them do it on their own will ensure they stay joined up for life :)

KafkaX
@kafkax
10 years ago
69 posts

So up until about a week ago, I was letting this congo do its own thing. Some of you may or may not know but Ive been having a issue with my locks becoming loose/breaking/etc. And this same congo has been developing a weak spot (like a few of my locks) where they join into one dread. I think its from constantly being twisted and bent (not palm rolling) at that same point, breaking hairs and whatnot.

In anycase, I decided to wrap where it was weak in the attempt to strengthen that part, and to prevent loosing a huge chunk of hair over time. You can see in the first pic, that at the start of the wrap, its almost half thickness of the rest of the lock.

s Now in the second picture, i tried to it to show how its still split into two for about half the lock. It was three, but now its just 2. Im contemplating cutting/ripping them apart, because I feel that would help with the weak spot because they are seperate and want to go in different ways. I would cut/rip the bottom lock (because it is thinner) at the start of the wrap, because that would also reinforce the other lock's weak spot. But would that mean I would have to have this wrap on the the rest of the locks life? Will they ever mold together from being wrapped together?

Any advice is appreciated.

updated by @kafkax: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form