Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Spider Eggs

ZoeyRainsMom
@zoeyrainsmom
11 years ago
122 posts

OK so I realize this might sound stupid but I'm actually starting to wonder if this is possible....My husband's friend and I got into it about how "white" people shouldn't have dreads that we're too dirty and don't know how to take care of them. Needless to say I was ticked at how some people could be so ignorant. He went on to say how his best friend, a black man, had dreadlocks...and had them for years. He woke up one morning with quite a few spider bites on his face and neck and like 30 baby spiders crawling on him. He rushed to the hospital for the bites and was it was there that they had to shave his head. Apparently he had like 3 sets of spider nests in his hair and not to mention the lice. They went on to tell him had they not shaved his head when they did that he could've died from all the bites had they hatched. (We're the dirty ones though..lol) After reading the post about Dread Myths and hearing how people make comments about spider nests in dreads I wondered if this is really a possibility?? I know they it's stated as a fact that we eat so many spiders a year in our sleep so is it possible that they could nest in our sleep?

updated by @zoeyrainsmom: 02/14/15 03:25:21AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

well tell this guy that the average white dready washes thier dreads an average of 20 times more often

so it maybe slightly possible its true

there was a kid on fb (verified true) who waxed his dreads

he had flies lay eggs in the wax

they hatched into maggots

they started eating his scalp

his scalp was a pussy bloody maggoty mess

he went to the er they shaved his head killed the maggots

a year later hes wanting to dread again

and wax again

and said he lost his last set to over waxing so hed use less

some ppl never learn

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

The thing about swallowing spiders in our sleep is a myth in itself. I'd say it's possible, sure, but VERY unlikely that a spider would be able to climb up to your head into your hair without you noticing, and even more unlikely that the spider and its eggs would survive the hair-washing. And even more even more unlikely that the spider would even want to lay its eggs in your dreads. You'll notice many insects, spiders, etc. are more than happy to chill out on a wall or table or something. You'll notice that they're never happy to chill out on a human. If they're on a person, they never stay there for long. There's no way you wouldn't be able to notice, so he probably is the one that didn't look after his dreads. So yeah, it's possible; my friend's mum found a spider in her hair once, and she didn't have dreads, just had it up in a bun or something. But it's also possible to be struck by lightning three times in a row, but very unlikely lol.

Marcellus Wallace
@marcellus-wallace
11 years ago
46 posts

Cleanliness is related to hygienic practices, not to skin color. Anything is possible, however spiders try hard to stay out of places where they will be bothered much. If you wash your hair somewhat regularly, I can't imagine a spider would choose to stay there. Also, human hair is not an ideal place for insects, there's no food, and your scalp secretes oils which would further deter bugs and arachnids. Based on the ignorant self righteousness of your husband's friend, I would say it's more likely that this story about his friend is a fictitious one, loosely based on the false story of Bob Marley having spiders in his dreads, or one of the other urban legends in an attempt to make himself seem more knowledgeable or interesting.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

wasnt trying to be knowledgeable or interesting just racist

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

and the bob marley urban legend was about 38 undiscovered species of bugs

wich is a lie

besides bob died refusing to alow a cancerous toe to be amputated he certainly wouldnt alow his dreads to be cut post mortum so thered be no way they disected his dreads as the legend claimed

--
Rafael Rodriguez
@rafael-rodriguez
11 years ago
41 posts

I call BS. Even those who dont wash their dreads often and do it like twice per month are the ones likely to be retwisting with their scalp showing and all. So whatever insect might fall on his head, if it stayed long enough to lay eggs and have them hatch, he would have noticed long before all that if it was crawling on his scalp, or fallen off if it was on the dreads. I doubt he wouldnt move them too much over a long period of time to have the spider fall off.

Marcellus Wallace
@marcellus-wallace
11 years ago
46 posts

soaring eagle said:

wasnt trying to be knowledgeable or interesting just racist

"seem" was the key word in my statement, meaning putting on a facade of intelligence to hide the lack thereof from which that racism spawned

Jayke Watson
@jayke-watson
11 years ago
118 posts
Just putting it in there, Bob lost his dreads a little while before he died so even if there was an autopsy (which he wouldn't have allowed as SE said) they wouldn't have found any bugs in his hair because he would have been bald or very close to it.
ZoeyRainsMom
@zoeyrainsmom
11 years ago
122 posts

Thanks for the replies everyone! I do feel better but it still sounds a little creepy. I guess I should be safe then...lol, the guy who supposedly had them had rather large dreads too and I guess wasn't too clean. The spider story, about how we eat them in our sleep was on a television show proven to be true. Lord knows how they'd figure that out but it was one of the fact or fake shows...I think it was on Discovery.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form