Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hey! Where do i start?

Chronic
@chronic
14 years ago
5 posts
Hey, im new here, ive been interested in growing dreads for a while, and ive decided im gonna go for it.

Obviously first thing i need to do is start growing my hair long which im gonna do from now, ill just trim my sideburns, i presume i just let it grow round the back of my neck & round my ears?

Ive got dry dark blonde hair that goes quite wavy/curly when its long, it goes into big curly waves rather than lots of little curls, im thinking this should be perfect for dreds as the curls kinda stick together as they grow

I do lots of exercise & love to get sweaty, so i want to be able to wash my hair, is that gonna make it impossible?
I def want to go all natural

Id appreciate any advice!

Peace

EDIT:
Ive just read soaring eagles thread on 'how to dread' & its encouraging, it seems my hair likes to naturally dread as it goes into thick clumpy curls when it gets long, so all i gotta do is grow it longer & separate the clumps as i see fit, nice & simple :)
Id still appreciate some advice, like tips on washing it, when i wash it with plain water my hair seems to stay clumpy, so maybe if i just back off the shampoo & wash with pain water it will help?
Also, do i need to trim the underlayers round the back of my neck & round my ears as time goes on, or just let it all grow out?

updated by @chronic: 01/13/15 08:30:38PM
D!
@d
14 years ago
44 posts
You'll be good to go when it comes to washing your hair, I workout 6 times a week and wash my hair at least 3 times a week and have been washing my hair that often every since I quit combing my hair out. Just make sure you don't condition your hair at all and that you are using a non-residue shampoo. Have fun locking your hair, enjoy the journey!
Chronic
@chronic
14 years ago
5 posts
I use 'faith in nature' shampoo, not sure ifit leaves residue but probly does as it doesn't say anything bout residue/nonresidue, thanks for the tips though.No need for me to stop combing as my hairs so unbeleivably thick i can't comb it anyway, even when its short!Would this shampoo be good? (it says at the bototm it leaves no residue) http://www.pure-girl.co.uk/hair-care/shampoo/sante-henna-volume-sha...
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
alot of that is up to you, and you wanna kinda wing it based on what you want,I just recommend doing whatever doesn't leave you smelly.I remember awhile ago i did the same thing be4 i was set on locks, I just got my hair soaked in the shower every day (didn't brush it or mess with it,, it was one of those weeks :P )and a few days later i had big knots forming so quickly it took me awhile to get it all out(of course it wasn't till months later that that made sense to me thats how natural locks formed)I recommend keeping your hair clean as you can tho till it gets longer at least.
Chronic
@chronic
14 years ago
5 posts
Yeah i wanna keep it clean for sure, ive had days before where if i dont wash my hair for 3/4 days it gets real itchy & just feels rankJust gotta find a nonresidue shampoo sold in the UK!
labmofgod
@labmofgod
14 years ago
94 posts
look for dr. bronners magic soap its an amazing non residue shampoo. and it also come in bar soap. i would also suggest wearing a wool hat or tam whenever you can it will help with the locking process Chronic said:
Yeah i wanna keep it clean for sure, ive had days before where if i dont wash my hair for 3/4 days it gets real itchy & just feels rank
Just gotta find a nonresidue shampoo sold in the UK!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form