Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dread shampoo ffrom Australia

Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

What do you think of this shampoo? Its a bar type. I havn't named the brand yet, because I dont want to help advertise a product I have not used, but I will name it if it all seems ok and if some one really wants to know.

peace.

Quote from website:

This dread shampoo product has revolutionised the way we clean and bind dreads. The first dread shampoo to address the trichelemma directly (the natural hooks you have on the outer level of the hair). The follicles are made up of three layers, and the outermost layer contains the hooks that bind our hair into dreads. With the correct Ph levels and correct astringents, these hooks swell and make dreadlocking easy. The Blokk is perfectly palm-sized, making washing that much easier.

Contains: Naturally saponified cocoa, sandalwood shavings, organic lime, patchouli, eucalyptus, clove, cinnamon, ylang ylang & frankincense essential oils. No sulphates (SLS or SLES), alcohol, surfactants or detergents and all our products are cruelty-free, vegan and we use organic oils where possible.

updated by @tim5: 01/13/15 09:56:01PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

I hope this works beautifully Tim so that you guys over there have a great dread shampoo that does not cost a fortune to ship. Let me know how it goes and if all is well, I will pass on the info to new members from Australia......peace

Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

I'm undecided if I'll buy it, it is not even remotely cheap, $30 per bar, seems ridiculous now that I write it.

Jayke Watson
@jayke-watson
11 years ago
118 posts
$30 does seem ridiculous but I think message them and ask how they propose their shampoo swells these hooks and if their answer sounds like they actually know what they're talking about, I'd give it a go.
Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

Cool. That is why I posted. Thankyou. I currently use Vicki's bucks county dreadlockshampoo, from this site, but am always on the lookout for some thing else. $30, that is just weird. I dont think I will be trying this one at the moment, this is how people sell stuff though, usually by talking a load of BS, and I don't mean baking soda.

peace and thankyou

Dana Thongsrisubskul said:

I'm having a very hard time trusting the quality of the shampoo when the quote from the website was clearly written by someone with absolutely no knowledge of the chemistry of hair. Here's a breakdown of all that is wrong:

Hair is made up of three layers; the cuticle (outermost), the cortex (beneath the cuticle) and the medulla (innermost which isn't present in everyone's hair). The follicle is the root that the hair grows from not the hair shaft. There are no outer "hooks" on hair much less the follicles it's growing from. I assume they're referring to raised cuticles and split ends as hooks. The cuticle of hair can become frayed if it's damaged and it will open up when exposed to something with an alkaline ph. Baking soda is an alkaline. That is why it's advised on here to always follow your baking soda wash with an ACV rinse. The vinegar brings the ph back to neutral thereby preventing some of that damage. Certainly damaged hair tangles better but it's also rough, brittle and breaks. Not something most people want their dreadlocks to do.

I have no idea whether this particular shampoo is high on the ph scale and damaging or not but with that quote it's something you might want to ask the company about before using it. And $30 for a bar of soap?! I can't imagine which ingredient could possibly justify that. Sorry for all the negativity. I've been a hairstylist for 22 years and have watched shampoo companies sell so much garbage based on lies told to people who are desperate to have their hair look a certain way.

Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

How much does it cost to ship the shampoo from North America to Australia, Tim? I leave for New Zealand in 2 weeks and I don't think it will be feasible to continue the BS/ACV routine.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form