Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreads look like they are filled with dirt...

Adrian Ozymandias
@adrian-ozymandias
11 years ago
8 posts

I started my dreads by using this thing called molding clay, then I started to use wax. It was huge mistake and i stopped about a year ago. I don't know if it was the wax or not but somehow my dreadlocks look like they basically are made of drit. I really don't think there is any recovery from this, but if you have any advice, please help!

updated by @adrian-ozymandias: 02/14/15 01:26:53PM
Adrian Ozymandias
@adrian-ozymandias
11 years ago
8 posts

No need to be rude man. It wasn't actually caly either, it a this gel like thing. I went to this afro-hair saloon you see, and this old african lady made my dreads and told me to use the caly. The old laydy seem like she knew what she was talking about so that is why I used it.
It was dumb to think that I could make dreadlocks, but no need to cry over spilled milk. I came here for advice, not to be mocked.

Spencer Mcduffy said:

THAT IS SO STRANGE! I WONDER WHY THE CLAY IS MAKING YOUR DREADS LOOK LIKE DIRT!?

let us go back to fifth grade earth science and rememeber what clay is..

clay
/kl/
Noun

1) A stiff, sticky fine-grained earth, typically yellow, red, or bluish-gray in color and often forming an IMPERMEABLE layer in the soil....

2) Sediment with particles smaller than silt, typically less than 0.00016 inch (0.004 mm).

Synonyms
mud - loam - earth - argil

my advice would be next time do a little research before you start any project that you intend to find success and satisfaction in... This is obviously a terrible idea from the start. Wish you the best of luck though!

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

Molding clay is formulated for hair styling. It is mostly made of petroleum, beeswax and kaolin clay with a whole lot of other nasty stuff added. It is not good for dreads at all. It is made to create those stick straight up hairstyles.

You really need to get that stuff out. Wax is a hydrocarbon which means it is not soluble in water. Normal soap or shampoo can not get it out. In the states we have a dishwashing detergent called Dawn. It can help to break it down with the help of very very hot water. You can soak each individual dread in the hottest water you can stand (without burning yourself). and use Dawn. It will take several of these sessions to get it all out. Vicki also sells a wax remover called Wax B Gone at dreadlockshampoo.com but shipping to Norway may be expensive.

Ojas Acharya
@ojas-acharya
11 years ago
172 posts

Hi Adrian, sorry to hear about that. but dont worry, have faith... now that u have already stopped using the stuff in ur dreads lets try gettin it out.. as taye said earlier u can try the Wax B Gone. there are great reviews about this wax remover product and although the shipping might be expensive, it might well be worth it for getting the wax out of your dreads. u can even try for local stuff that can help u get rid of the wax if u can find any. Go through the 'DREADLOCKS MAINTENANCE' pages here on the site try the 'baking soda deep soda deep cleanse' thereafter. u may really love it.. keep nourishing your scalp with pure essential oils (diluted in base oil or atleast water) and you will be on ur way to have some beautiful, clean n healthy dreadlocks. goodluck bro. peace. :)

Premo
@premo
11 years ago
30 posts

Since you have your dictionary out, you should check out the definition of 'asshole'

Spencer Mcduffy said:

THAT IS SO STRANGE! I WONDER WHY THE CLAY IS MAKING YOUR DREADS LOOK LIKE DIRT!?

let us go back to fifth grade earth science and rememeber what clay is..

clay
/kl/
Noun

1) A stiff, sticky fine-grained earth, typically yellow, red, or bluish-gray in color and often forming an IMPERMEABLE layer in the soil....

2) Sediment with particles smaller than silt, typically less than 0.00016 inch (0.004 mm).

Synonyms
mud - loam - earth - argil

my advice would be next time do a little research before you start any project that you intend to find success and satisfaction in... This is obviously a terrible idea from the start. Wish you the best of luck though!

Adrian Ozymandias
@adrian-ozymandias
11 years ago
8 posts

Thank you so much for the advice Ojas and Taye. You just filled me up with faith and happiness.

Ojas Acharya said:

Hi Adrian, sorry to hear about that. but dont worry, have faith... now that u have already stopped using the stuff in ur dreads lets try gettin it out.. as taye said earlier u can try the Wax B Gone. there are great reviews about this wax remover product and although the shipping might be expensive, it might well be worth it for getting the wax out of your dreads. u can even try for local stuff that can help u get rid of the wax if u can find any. Go through the 'DREADLOCKS MAINTENANCE' pages here on the site try the 'baking soda deep soda deep cleanse' thereafter. u may really love it.. keep nourishing your scalp with pure essential oils (diluted in base oil or atleast water) and you will be on ur way to have some beautiful, clean n healthy dreadlocks. goodluck bro. peace. :)

Sweet,
@sweet
11 years ago
133 posts

The person who did my dread sectioning to get me started with dreads damn well applyied wax, I told all my friends here at DLS and got alot of help, one suggestion was - get in the shower and have the water the warmest temperature you can bear, put your dreads under by leaning forward so the water misses your face, keep lathering up which in my case is with sunlight soap and rinse and rinse. You wont believe it but i got ridd off all the wax in that one session of about 4 washes, just try it, you have nothing to loose other than all the grimmy wax and whatever else there is. I was so surprized that it really worked after hearing all these horror stories about never getting wax out.

Good luck and

Peace.

Kelsey Cliche!
@kelsey-cliche
11 years ago
122 posts
I'm not an expert in this so I will leave the advice to others. I just wanted to apologize for the rude comment you received. Totally uncalled for by that guy. The majority of us have constructive things to say and truly want to help when we can. :) Best of luck to you!
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

For sure try the Dawn dish soap remedy. Here is a post that might help you with that: http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/a-couple-of-questions-about-dawn-soap-and-wax-removal Read the comments from Baba Fats and Soaring Eagle

You will find a huge difference just from the first application of removal. Your dreads can be saved, so don't worry about a thing. Just keep up on this until they feel right to you....peace

Bob Ngarly
@bob-ngarly
11 years ago
161 posts

Lol im sorry yall i just looked back over this thread and i was indeed an asshole.. im not sure why i responded in that way that day but i assure you i will check my attitude. I must have been having a bad day or something.. Please dont hold it against me!

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form