Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Feeling a bit awkward... but here goes.

Nikki Alexander
@nikki-alexander
11 years ago
4 posts

Recently I've been through a lot. I see this as a journey I'm ready to embark on. I'm in need this freedom in a way. I'm seeing this as a spiritual thing. I'm just not sure how to start my awesome journey. I could use all the help I can get right now.

updated by @nikki-alexander: 02/14/15 08:33:34AM
Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

Stop brushing is the first step. After that. wash regularly and separate when the dreads grow together or the section grow too big. It's really very simple.

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

at the top of the page there is a search bar on the left hand side. Search for dreaducation. It will answer a lot of your questions. If you have any further questions please please ask!!!!! Good luck and welcome to the site.

Nikki Alexander
@nikki-alexander
11 years ago
4 posts

Thanks for the help! Also my hair is kinda short at the moment, right above my shoulders. And I have super curly, super thin hair... Should I wait it out until it's a bit longer to start the dreading?

Nikki Alexander
@nikki-alexander
11 years ago
4 posts

It's a little longer than 3"..

I was thinking to wait a few more weeks, but I'm too hyped and I want to really start them right now...

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

First, throw out your comb. Then, look in the mirror and say, "I love myself no matter how crazy I might look the next year." Then laugh. Because honestly, if freedom is what you're looking for then that's exactly what you'll get if you learn the lessons that dreadlocks teach-- release. That lesson might come to you in odd ways, painful ways, socially awkward ways, and it might connect you with people you never thought you'd see yourself sharing time with.

If you're doing this for spiritual reasons, Nikki, then you've definitely found a welcoming community here. We happily welcome those who are trying to connect with humanity and the inner sacredness which is so difficult to see in our modern world today.

*hug*

Nikki Alexander
@nikki-alexander
11 years ago
4 posts

Thank you so much. I really needed to hear that. I will start my journey tomorrow...

Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

Check out my profile. I started at about 3-4 inches. I have curly hair too, but it is quite thick. Curly hair dreads great. The curls help to keep it from looking too wild. All it takes is a rinse and a shake to make it look well maintained. Trust me, we're lucky.

Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

The natural route. I say that because I started my dreads by backcombing them, and I still found a spiritual connection to it, they helped me grow as a person, understand myself, etc. And then I realised how much more amazing the journey would've been if it were completely natural. I combed a few out since then, one at a time, so I've experienced some natural journey, but for anyone whose dreads are anything more than a hairstyle, I guarantee the natural route will get you the most out of it :)

Simply stop brushing your hair. Wash with a residue-free shampoo (baking soda and then apple cider vinegar is good too, see more about the ratios and etc. if you want to do that) every two or three days, and separate your dreads when the sections start to join together, otherwise they'll get too big and might get pretty painful and problematic. On top of that, have patience, try not to care about how messy they can be, let it be part of one of the life lessons it teaches you, and enjoy every part of the journey, because it truly is a journey.

I'd say dread now. If your hair is too short to dread, you'll need it to grow a bit more before it starts dreading, but you might as well get yourself into the habit of not combing your hair and etc. already. But it does sound like it's long enough to dread :)

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

Kelly! YES! Absolutely. Curly headed folks like us do seem to have an easier time looking well kept. I started my locks when my hair was just below my ears. Had no problems whatsoever. Check out my profile and pics. Now my hair is down past my shoulders. You'll have a blast with locking up, Kelly, if you have curls. All kinds of loopies and stuff. We even have a Crazies Dread thread where you can see some of the most bizarre ones out there. Lots of smiles and laughs.

Indulge in essential oils, too. I highly recommend putting up to three drops of an EO in your baking soda water. It's amazing. Lavender, sage, basil, orange, you name it. You can use almost any EO. Just look up it's properties, first, to make sure it's skin worthy and safe.

www.mosalu.etsy.com has some great dready soaps. Natural EO's in them. Not too moisturizing but just enough once your locks get started really good that you can use Mosalu once a week or so to give yourself a break from the baking soda.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form