Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

thicker dreads

Craig Thompson
@craig-thompson
11 years ago
1 posts

hey my dreads are 4 feet long i have used string to make them thicker in the past i would like to continue making them thicker what can i use what compound like honey lemon or what i am not happy using string does some one have a compound to use to make my dreadies thicker

updated by @craig-thompson: 01/13/15 09:55:51PM
Chris C.2
@chris-c2
11 years ago
12 posts

Im no expert at all, still 3 months in on my natural dread journey but I dont think putting in string or honey lemon is exactly healthy for your dreads. If you want thicker dreads, your going to have to let them congo together. If they arent congoing maybe you could try using a wrap to bundle 2 or 3 dreads together to encourage them to congo. Im not completely sure though, if im wrong please feel free to correct me.

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

I am not sure if I completely understand what you mean by making your dreads thicker. Are you wanting to combine your dreads? If your dreads are 12 years old......each individual mature dread can not thicken. Adding any compound such as honey is really not a good idea. And lemon juice is a big no no for dreads because it damages the hair strand from the inside out. You can combine 2 dreads together with hemp or beads to hold them together and they will eventually start growing together from the scalp. That is referred to as congos.

I often congo baby dreads (dreads formed from new growth) to existing dreads to thicken my dreads at the roots. I have lots of new growth that forms baby dreads. But joining a baby dread to a mature dread only thickens the roots...not the whole dread.

Earthstudios
@earthstudios
11 years ago
108 posts

you can let multiple dreads combine and congo...

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

You are very right Earthstudios....I should have said 2 or more instead of 2 :D

Earthstudios said:

you can let multiple dreads combine and congo...

Earthstudios
@earthstudios
11 years ago
108 posts

I wasn't correcting you or adding to your post, we were both in the reply screen at the same time, you just beat me to the reply button :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form