Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hemp vs Wool?

Jayke Watson
@jayke-watson
11 years ago
118 posts

Hey all, I know that wool tams are good for winterwear as they help lock up loose hairs but what do you guys know of hemp? I've heard that it can be either very soft or quite scratchy depending on what it's combined with so I was wondering if it would make an adequate replacement for wool. And it's wonderful environmentally and economically :)

Peace and love to all of you guys :) <3

updated by @jayke-watson: 01/13/15 09:55:41PM
taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

My experience with hemp is that it softens over time. Hemp hats are great and a whole lot cooler in the summer months. Hemp won't help the hair knot like wool does, but you sleep with a wool sweater on your pillow ...don't you? Go ahead and sport that hemp hat !!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,639 posts

wont have the same tangling effects

im not 100% sure on this but the tangling effect i think has nothing to sdo with softness or scratchines but 2 other factors

1 static

wool when rubbed on other natural fibers like cotton or hair cause a electron to come loose and jump to the other materiel causing a static charge

that and lanolin

when wools sheered they have to extract the nanolin in order to be able to comb it out and prepare it the lanolin causes it to matt up easily

granted most of its removed from the end product but presumably not all

hemp on the other hand makes a extremely strong durable hat that will never wear out and will last a lifetime

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jayke Watson
@jayke-watson
11 years ago
118 posts
Okay thanks guys! That's really interesting SE I'd heard whisperings of it having something to do with static but the way you've explained it makes a lot of sense. I probably will get myself a hemp hat/tam, they all look too good to resist!
Sweet,
@sweet
11 years ago
133 posts

Hey didn't think of that - cooler in the winter, I'm going to crochet some up for summer now that my dreads r settled in.

taye said:

My experience with hemp is that it softens over time. Hemp hats are great and a whole lot cooler in the summer months. Hemp won't help the hair knot like wool does, but you sleep with a wool sweater on your pillow ...don't you? Go ahead and sport that hemp hat !!

la Renarde
@la-renarde
11 years ago
54 posts

Like taye said, hemp is just like linen and will soften over time. But usually, when knitted or crocheted to wear, people use already pretty soft hemp yarns. Hemp is such a beautiful fabric, so comfortable, not to warm (alot like cotton or linen) and as you said, environment-friendly like no other plant fiber.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form