Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Stinky

RippleInStillWater
@rippleinstillwater
14 years ago
16 posts
WHen i wash my dreads with baking soda or dr bronners in the morning after i let them dry all day and put a hat on, when i take the hat off my head will just smell. i think its the oils my scalp produces. and if i dont wear a hat after about a day and half of not getting my head wet i feel like i can smell my self.. is there anything i can do ? i'm not a dirty person at all
updated by @rippleinstillwater: 02/14/15 04:39:55AM
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
Does the hat smell?or perhaps your scalp is still used to producing so much oil?what have you tried adding to your soap?
GratefulNick
@gratefulnick
14 years ago
155 posts
how often do you wash? every day is a little excessive, I wash about once or twice a week. Washing less will cause your scalp to produce less oils.Do not put a hat on your head unless your dreads are completely dry otherwise it can cause mold/mildew. If that is the case I would advice to do a ACV rince. ACV apple cidar vinnagar smells kind of strong, and burns if you get it in your eyes, but is great of getting rid of mold/mildew/bad smells, soap residue. theres alot of ACV info here on this siteIf I knew the way I would take you home-ripple
RippleInStillWater
@rippleinstillwater
14 years ago
16 posts
haha thanks nick. i do wait till they are dry and i dont wash everyday.. sorry that was kinda broad what i wrote.. i wash about 2 times a week. i havent tried adding anything.. what kind of drops should i get to make my scalp produce less oils.. i have had my dread for about 7 month back combing method
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
well Tea Tree is a great one to add in very small amounts, (for dandruff and misc, it has anti-septic properties)Thyme is one I remember SE recommending for helping control oiliness on the scalp
Ivan
@ivan
14 years ago
88 posts
maybe you're just not letting the locks completely dry before putting on your hat. if they're still even damp and you put it on, the moisture will stay trapped inside the hat and on your head and hair. you can use a blow-dryer to help as well.
RippleInStillWater
@rippleinstillwater
14 years ago
16 posts
Truee yea but even if i dont wear a hat i can still smell myself after a day or 2 of not geting my head wet.. i know others say they can go like up to 5 days without even getting there dread wet
Denney Coning
@denney-coning
14 years ago
16 posts
I agree. I had to change my washing habits when I starting dreading. I don't have oily skin at all so before I only washed my hair like once a month. Now I try really hard to wash with residue free shampoo once a week, 12 days at the most. I like doing it saturday or sunday morning early so I can let it hang loose and dry all day. Your scalp needs time to adjust to not being scrubbed constantly so be patient. I like to tell people that all you really need to have to have dreads is time.
Euphorian
@euphorian
14 years ago
20 posts
I think its your scalp produce that smell.Smelly scalp syndrome occurs when there is an increase in microbial growth on the scalp. This is caused by excessive oils in the hair or on the scalp. The microorganisms thrive on the oil, and emanate on odor that is described as muggy, pungent and moldy. Smelly scalp can also be caused by environmental factors. For example if you live or work in a smoky environment, or one with many chemicals, that can contribute to a smelly scalp.I havent try rosemary and lavender oil,thats maybe perfect for hair.If you're using baking soda let it soak for 30minutes then rinse very well i suggest 1/2 cup baking soda to 3/4 gallon of water (add 10 drops of teatree oil it help killing bacteria)then after rinse make 1part of apple cider vinegar to 10 part of water pour to your head then wrap your dread with towel when its still soaking.Wait for 20 mins then rinse you can stand for 1week without "Stinky".Hope it work with you goodluck!
dannylou
@dannylou
14 years ago
21 posts
I too have a problem with stink after i wash my hair , but not my scalp, my smell is more in the dreads. I suggest tea tree i've used it quit a few times and it has worked great for me. I just use a spray bottle with a few drops and mist my hair and then roll them a bit, maybe you could try this with your scalp? peace&love
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form