Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Got my dreads done

Frida Virrueta
@frida-virrueta
11 years ago
6 posts

I didnt grow natural dreads which i wish i would have , if only i would've found this website last night.

I got my dreads done today with a croche hook and im not so happy with it, i feel like theyre too tight on my scalp and i feel like they look too neat.

Will they loosen up ?

updated by @frida-virrueta: 02/14/15 07:57:42AM
Linus
@linus
11 years ago
43 posts

Take em out and start a natural journey :)

Frida Virrueta
@frida-virrueta
11 years ago
6 posts

is it possible? cause theyre really tight you dont think they will loosen up?

Linus wan said:

Take em out and start a natural journey :)

Linus
@linus
11 years ago
43 posts

Its possible to take them out yes. If you dont touch them im sure they will loosen up :)

Frida Virrueta
@frida-virrueta
11 years ago
6 posts

thank you , you just gave me so much hope !

Linus wan said:

Its possible to take them out yes. If you dont touch them im sure they will loosen up :)

Hannah Moore
@hannah-moore
11 years ago
68 posts

Im dont know much about crochet dreads and wax and stuff but Ive read things on here about like.. this shampoo that is meant to strip out wax and residues and things? I cant remember the name but someone else might know what Im talking about so if the salon used wax its probably worth using something to get rid of it all... Also you can just really condition your hair when you shower so if youre using bs/acv use more acv and leave it on a bit longer or you could use aloe vera gel... by conditioning your hair itll make the knots slip out easier... just few ideas... glad you found this site though =]

Hannah Moore
@hannah-moore
11 years ago
68 posts

ah here it is http://shop.dreadlockshampoo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=14

Thats the stuff to remove the wax and on that site are some really goodshampoos and thingsto get you going when you start your natural journey =]

Good luck

Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

Such a shame you didn't find the site sooner. The good news is you can leave them (completely leave them alone except to wash and separate connecting dreads) to do their own thing and they'll lose their neat look and will be natural dreads, even though they weren't started naturally. Crocheting dreads can cause dreads to become weak to the point where they may snap off, because it breaks hairs inside the dread, even though they can look fine. So don't bother with it again, and over time they'll loosen up and then dread themselves :) I've read it can take a few months for them to loosen though. You can comb them out if you want to start over though, just use LOTS of conditioner and/or olive oil, and do it as gently as you can. Might take a while, but worth it.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

it takes 6 months typicaly and yea u can use jojoba and or aloe (straight from the plant) the quicker u loosen em the quicker they will begin to dread

crochets just a horible abusive method

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

You know what, that is okay, don't be upset about how they look. Lesson learned, now you move on. If wax was used, then it must be removed in order to dread. If wax was not used, then you are on your way much faster. I would not recommend taking them all out as you now have hundreds of broken hairs from the crochet hooking. As your hair grows, the scalp will loosen, yes, they do them too tight at the scalp. You can take a supplement called Biotin, which is found in the vitamin section of drug stores and department stores for under $10. This promotes hair growth, and that you want to loosen up those roots. Take 6000 mcg strength a day and in 3 months you will see plenty of growth at the roots. If you can't find 6000mcg strength, just add up the tablets to equal it, so if you find only 1000mcg-then take 6 tablets a day, it is very safe to take. During the recovery time, you will see the broken hairs start to poke out all over, it will give you a frizzy look, but do not worry, those pieces will be swallowed back into the dread in time.

So what will you do from here on in for healthy dreads??? Wash 2-3 times a week, separate the sections from trying to join onto each other....and that is all. Do no other maintenance, just let them do their own thing. You only got them hooked once, so all is not lost, have faith and patience and you will get the beautiful dreads you envisioned for yourself in time.....peace

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form