Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

If you have super fine hair and TnR

MothyrGrimm
@mothyrgrimm
11 years ago
27 posts

I've been letting my hair section naturally over the past week and a half and it has sectioned really well, and I'm going to start twist and ripping them in their natural sections. They've section into around two inch sections, but when I section them into one inch sections and TnR they're teeny tiny. To the point I can barely TnR the last five or so inches. (hair is to the small of my back) Is this okay and normal for thin hair? I really want them to fatten up to an inch thick and it seems impossible with 2 millimeter little dreadies. lol I mentioned it before I think in a post, but just wanted to see if anyone has done this personally? Or maybe even a timeline? I just feel like I'm going to end up with a billion teeny tiny microdreads. lol

updated by @mothyrgrimm: 01/13/15 09:54:59PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Well now, those sections, if an inch at the scalp, WILL be an inch thick dread when they mature. The twist & rip sections are not true dreads, only the blueprints. They will loosen, maybe fall out, loop and shrink, and the shrinking causes them to thicken up. Sure, the ends are super thin, but over time you have broken hairs down the length of your hair due to brushing and whatever, so the hair is never as thick as it is at top. You will only have a billion teeny tiny microdreads if you have a billion tteny tiny micro sections where they meet the scalp.......

Not impossible, it is possible with the maturing process, you will be surprised how thick your hair looks when it is finally mature dreads....peace

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

they will fatten up alot but with very thyin fine hair trying to get em all 1 inch thick will look strange its way better to have only 1-4 that thick a dozen otr 2 1/2 inch and another 2 dozen much thinner

the few thick add fullness and boddy while medium and thin fu]ill in gaps givin the impression of much more hair

if u make em allt thick it will look more sparse too few dreads with too much space between

so mix up the sizes go for 40 ish dreads

try to keep the thick ones to a minuum 1-4 ish

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Thanks, I should have mentioned that also to you MothyrGrimm. You want you head to look fuller. So even though you think the thinner sections will be too small, they will look fantastic when you have a whole head of assorted sizes. You will be amazed how many sections you can make, the 40 Soaring Eagle suggested would be perfect for you. All one inch dreads, you may only get 20, if luck, so you do want the fuller head look. Glad he noticed your post since I forgot that....peace

MothyrGrimm
@mothyrgrimm
11 years ago
27 posts
Ooo thanks so much. That makes a ton of sense when it comes to multiple sizes. Glad I only have two done so far! So four at 1 inch, one dozen 1/2 inch, and two dozen at 1/4 inch? Do I want certain sizes in certain areas? My hair tends to lie flat on top so I definitely want the fullness factor.
taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

AS someone with very thin fine hair....let me make a very very important suggestion. Make sure that the dreads on the top of your head are thinner. It will cover scalp better and keep gaps away. If you have several thicker ones....make sure they are on the sides or back of your head. Never ever let thin hair section thick on the top. My dreads are decently thick and they are not from extra large sections. But remember...on other posts you will see the rule of thumb that says your dreads will thicken as big as your scalp section. It will not work that way for us. Because our hair is thin and fine...the dread will be a bit thinner than the section. Nickle sized sections work well for us...with a few larger 1 " mixed in. I think 30+ dreads are a good amount for us.

MothyrGrimm
@mothyrgrimm
11 years ago
27 posts
Thanks a ton! I'll definitely stick to the dime and nucle sized up top then. With thin hair did it take a long time for yours to lock up?
taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

Actually mine locked pretty quick. Mine shrank a whole lot! It shrank for over a year and didn't really start to grow until the 2nd year. I have been taking biotin supplements for over 2 1/2 years....and my hair seems to me to be really growing fast. (Which says a lot because my hair grows slow normally). When i have new growth (lose hair) it has to grow to about 10 inches before it will start to lock up...but then it goes crazy.

MothyrGrimm
@mothyrgrimm
11 years ago
27 posts
Hope mine lock quickly! So I've been working on tnr the past couple days. It takes forever since my hair is so long, but that's no biggie. Although I will definitely end up with much more than 40. I'm on the second row still on the very back of head and already hit 20. So apparently I have a fat head. Lol no where near half way yet.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form