Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

who here has dreads and isn't Rastafarian?

Junior Granger
@junior-granger
14 years ago
4 posts
I'm a Rastafarian and I'm on my spiritual journeywho hear wears the locks with out knowing their true nature
updated by @junior-granger: 02/14/15 11:10:16AM
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
Generally speaking, most people here know more about locks then some other sites I've seen as far as their significance goes,however if you have more to write about them you should post in this group, http://www.dreadlockssite.com/group/inilovehaileselasseii I love learning more if you have anything to talk about,
Ryan Emmel
@ryan-emmel
14 years ago
85 posts
Who can understand the true nature of anything? Only those who know the world without sight, who comprehend without thought, who are not hindered by the constructs of a mind.Only those who do not restrict themselves beneath a label or the narrow teachings of one system of belief can come close to knowing truth.The greatest philosophical minds concede that truth is ephemeral, maybe impossible for our tiny minds and our staring eyes and our barely wriggling consciousness.Only a truly wise mind could dare to claim comprehension of the true nature of dreadlocks,and a truly wise mind would never presume complete understanding.I wear the locks without knowing their true nature.
Dreadloc Dreadsta
@dreadloc-dreadsta
14 years ago
11 posts
I'm not Rastafarian and not very spiritual either. I started my locs to be natural weave and chemical free. All I know is that there is a man in the bible that had 7 locs upon his head. I can't remember his name. So it goes all the way back to bible days and they didn't have combs then. Africans also would wear them.
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
14 years ago
292 posts
Dreadlocks go back to Ancient Egypt even before to ancient Sumer. The ancient celts wore them too and so did most of the anglo and germanic tribes. Rastafarian is not the root of dreadlocks. Nature is the root of dreadlocks and of all things. I respect your beliefs and how dreads fit into them but please show respect to other cultures who had dreads long before and for different reasons.Peace
hippie mama
@hippie-mama
14 years ago
154 posts
i have respect for your beliefs and i think its great that ur proud enough of it to try to educate others on your beliefs. i however am not a rastafarian nor do i claim to be and just as others have told you in their comments dreads are from nature and ppl had them from the beginning of time. not just rastas but all beliefs and i mean if u dont have a comb pretty much ur hairs gonna dread. so to say their true nature comes from the rastafarian background only would be such a miss-guided statement. i think you would be interested in researching back to see where else the may have derived from. also what other role they play in other religious backgrounds. i mean beleive what you believe dude and be proud of it but take a step back to realize there is more to everything than what you believe and keep your heart eyes and ears open to learn so much more about others and you may find out more about yourself in the journey,peace be with you friend~i really hope on your journey not only will u preach but you will be taught as well~
Ryan Emmel
@ryan-emmel
14 years ago
85 posts
It was Samson, and the cutting of his locks was the loss of his great physical strength as well. Dreadloc Dreadsta said:
I'm not Rastafarian and not very spiritual either. I started my locs to be natural weave and chemical free. All I know is that there is a man in the bible that had 7 locs upon his head. I can't remember his name. So it goes all the way back to bible days and they didn't have combs then. Africans also would wear them.
Jim the Kraken
@jim-the-kraken
14 years ago
81 posts
I'm not rastafarian either, but I do know that dreads are part of the religion and they are supposed to not comb or form their hair in any way that will affect how it grows. Following this will eventually lead to dreadlocks upon one's head.
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
Dreadlocks are so old as a hair style and way of life that I believe it is impossible to know their 'true nature'. I wear mine as a form of spiritual expression... so in a way it's a very spiritual journey for me as well. However, I am not Rastafarian in the least. I'm a pagan, and very very proud of it! I also have Celtic roots, so my dreads are an expression of myself on a number of different levels!
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
I simply adore your way of thinking!!! It's almost as if I'm reading a Dr. Bronner's bottle, but it makes more sense :3 Ryan Emmel said:
Who can understand the true nature of anything? Only those who know the world without sight, who comprehend without thought, who are not hindered by the constructs of a mind.

Only those who do not restrict themselves beneath a label or the narrow teachings of one system of belief can come close to knowing truth.

The greatest philosophical minds concede that truth is ephemeral, maybe impossible for our tiny minds and our staring eyes and our barely wriggling consciousness.

Only a truly wise mind could dare to claim comprehension of the true nature of dreadlocks,
and a truly wise mind would never presume complete understanding.

I wear the locks without knowing their true nature.
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form