Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Personal experiance onNatural dreads? HELP!

Kubilay KAPUCU
@kubilay-kapucu
11 years ago
76 posts
Since i joined (yesterday) I had alot of my questions answered and learned alot of things as well! So I just want to thank you all who help before I begin!Now the question... As I said I learned ALOT which make me think of other questions. Almost all of you saggest natural dreads and almost all of you do have natural dreads. I wanted know how long it takes for them to start the lockup procedure, how long it takes to finish? Everything you experianced, the good and the bad! The more thorough the more helpfull for me!ThanksPeace from Turkey
updated by @kubilay-kapucu: 02/14/15 11:41:31AM
Kubilay KAPUCU
@kubilay-kapucu
11 years ago
76 posts
Oh and also is there a way of removing natural dreads without cutting them?
Antonio Llamar
@antonio-llamar
11 years ago
27 posts

Yes there is, which requires some kind of conditioner and a lot of time and patience to brush them out.

Sunflower
@sunflower
11 years ago
95 posts

its different between everyone, since we all have different hair texture/length etc. For me I had dreads forming already at 2 months. My best suggestion is buy dreadlock shampoo that this website advertizes, it helps the dread process by a lot! it will never finish, as long as your hair grows, your journey continues :) with free forming you have to be ready to look like a bird nest for some weeks, even months for some people so keep tat in mind. I'm now at 7 months of free forming and my hair has only recently stopped looking like a complete mess :P

Kubilay KAPUCU
@kubilay-kapucu
11 years ago
76 posts
m alredy looking like bird nest so if the drads are gonna stop that yaay! :D but like sunflower said we all have different hair textures so please share more!

Sunflower said:

its different between everyone, since we all have different hair texture/length etc. For me I had dreads forming already at 2 months. My best suggestion is buy dreadlock shampoo that this website advertizes, it helps the dread process by a lot! it will never finish, as long as your hair grows, your journey continues :) with free forming you have to be ready to look like a bird nest for some weeks, even months for some people so keep tat in mind. I'm now at 7 months of free forming and my hair has only recently stopped looking like a complete mess :P

Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

It depends on a few things; the health of the hair, hair texture, etc. Straight hair tends to take longer, but I think for most people it's around one year or longer for them to have reached a point where they're mature. That's when they don't get any tighter, but of course, there will always be new dreads forming, dreads will grow and the new hair growth will dread, so they will always be changing still, just not quite as drastically.

You can comb them out rather than cut them, but I combed about four of mine out and it took hours and was very painful and exhausting, so it'd probably take a few days. With lots of olive oil and conditioner.

Ojas Acharya
@ojas-acharya
11 years ago
172 posts

Hi and welcome to the community... natural method is the best way to have dreadlocks... not becos most of us here are 'pro-natural', but because it ACTUALLY IS THE BEST WAY TO LET UR HAIR DREAD.. in this method u just dont interfere with ur hair and let nature take over. hence u do almost zero damage to ur hair. all hair types dread naturally. the only difference is the time it might take. if u have straight hair it will take longer, if u have afro type or hair like slash then u may have quicker progress..

but any which ways ur dreads normally take an year or more to look close to mature dreads. messy stage is a part of the journey, so just enjoy it. dreadlocks are something that u live with rather than just being a hairstyle. even mature dreads keep maturing more in the course of time i believe.

and yes as said earlier u can always comb them out if u dont want to cut them. soak them in a strong conditioner and then comb each of them starting from the tips.. it will take a looong time though n u may have a lot of broken hair on ur carpet too... good luck for ur journey. have fun cheers :)

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

The ratio for the baking soda wash is this. Mix 1/2 cup of baking soda (BS) into 5 cups of water. Pour this over your wet hair and leave it on for 10 minutes minimun. This will exfoliate your scalp without scrubbing, it is a no touch method. Rinse out well after 10 minutes. Next you will follow it with an apple cider vinegar (ACV) rinse. (Unless you have a very oily scalp, this is a very important part or else you will fry/dry out your hair with the BS)...So mix 1-2 capfuls of ACV into 5 cups of water and pour over your rinsed out head. This you rinse out within one minute or you will over condition the hair. (Another member told you to use 2-7 capfuls with 1 cup of water, that is VERY incorrect, don't do that, way too strong)

This is a great way to start your dreadlocks because like mentioned, it is a no scrub method that takes care of the scalp and hair, it won't disturb your knotting process when they are just starting.....peace

If your hair is really short and you want your ingredients to last longer, you can divide the radios in half: 1/4 cup BS with 2 1/2 cups water...1 capful ACV into 2 1/2 cups water

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

The bird nest on your head...make sure you separate any sections that are trying to join onto each other or the will form one matted mess. Easiest on the hair to do it when it is wet. Just hold two sections that have joined onto each other, start gently ripping them apart, going up towards the scalp. Leave just a little at the scalp area so you do not disturb the roots and put stress on them. In the beginning stages, certain areas of you head might have to be done daily, or maybe only weekly, you will know when it is needed. Usually this happens in the area of the head that you sleep on. Use the search bar and key in the words Baba Fats Videos, he has posted so many how to videos and separating is one of them...peace

Kubilay KAPUCU
@kubilay-kapucu
11 years ago
76 posts
Thanks everyone for the suggestons! I seriously do appriciate each and every single one of them! :) but u can neverhave enough haha! Thamks again guys!Peace from Turkey
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form