Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo

Professional or do yourself?

awigge0421
@awigge0421
5 years ago
1 posts

I want to start the process of dreading my hair. I have been looking into every method and even contacted someone today about having them done professionally. I was told she uses the backcombing method and asked if I wanted to try synthetic first. I told her that I just wanted to use my hair and that is it. It is $100/hr and was also told it would be anywhere from 4-6 hours to finish. I have many questions but my first one being, is it best to have them done professionally or could I do them myself and still have the same outcome? I want to make sure that no matter how I get them, they are the best they can be. What are some tips, advice or anything else that is beneficial in the process of starting that would help? Thank you!

Dre
@dre
5 years ago
12 posts

If you want "Instant" dreads you can pretty much do it yourself with twist and rip, I don't recommend backcombing it's pretty damaging and $100 per hour sounds really expensive, You can also go the freeform route which is just not brushing and washing your hair with residue free shampoo

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
29,640 posts

the absolute best they can be is just let them dread themselves for free

rainbow08wyoming101113.jpg

they would most likely use wax or crochet in addition to backcombing

we have whole sections of the site for recovery from the horrors of what most so called professionals do

i went camping for 2 weeks and it started to dread

why pay 100 an hour (doctors and lawyers barely charge that much)

for something that happens on its own..

you can do it yourself if you want 'made' dreads

a whole lotta people who make theirs wish they let them dread themselves..many enough to start over..even after years

salons do extreme harm

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
29,640 posts

wait till you hear from a few victims of the so called professionals

most don't realize they are being victimized. spending  tens of thousands  over a few years only to end up with extreme damage or balding.

does your hair need a degree in how to tangle? or does a day at the beach make you brush or comb out a whole lot of tangles??

your hairs literally trying to dread every day and you prevent it. in fact i've seen dreads form in a day.. hours in fact

we have never seen 1 person not be able to just let it dread

1% granted are slow

the slowest to dread dreads the most beautifully every step of the way

1% might take a really long time, 1% might  dread overnight

if you start them professionally and let them recover and don't do all the brutal maintenance  dreading naturally and a gentle method tends to dread a same speed ish..  a brutal method actually dreads way sloewer

the tighter it is on day 1 the slower it dreads

now back to the general %'s

while 1% can be very fast or very slow about 5% can be pretty fast or fairly slow,

about 30% kinda faster/slower then expected

and about 50% mature around when dreads generally are considered mature

10568832_10203501097502556_2673496861692679429_n.jpg

this is a very shocking example of the extreme harm done by years of "professional" care

the very thing being done in the photo is what caused it to start with

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 01/17/19 11:17:57PM
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form