please also join the new dreadlockssite 3.0 mobile pc responsive beta site at ww3.dreadlockssite.com

This site looks and works best in firefox.
Use this menu for quick access to dreading guides pages, and forums sections.

All content on this site is copyrighted, see our terms of service for details

Clean healthy natural dreads community

DreadlocksSite.com is the best place to learn how to grow and care for healthy natural dreadlocks.

Dreadlocks free and easy no products no pricetags

Best dreadlocks shampoo

download our toolbar

please consider donating to support dreadlockssite.com your donations help keep the site running.

Latest Activity

bands and musicians
DRS updated their profile
3 hours ago

bands and musicians
DRS posted a photo

13 1/2 months

Can't wait til September 11 2015. That will be the two year mark. The start date was entirely…
3 hours ago
Augie replied to Augie's discussion Hello new here :))
"i was going through the pictures on the site. And noticed everyone kinda seems to do a time line of…"
4 hours ago
Augie posted a discussion

Hello new here :))

Hello beautiful people of this site. I wanna first start off by saying Happy Thanksgiving! I'm…See More
4 hours ago
space_monster posted a photo
5 hours ago
Profile IconAugie and Daniel Peng joined Dreadlocks Natural Dreads DreadlocksSite.com
5 hours ago
JollyStunts posted a discussion

A bunch of questions about my 3 week old dreads

Ok so I started my dreads 3 weeks ago using the backcomb method and nothing else. I also haven't…See More
8 hours ago

bands and musicians
Sprouting Roots posted a photo

27/11/14

Early days...hand/towel rubbing
10 hours ago

herbalists
Daniel Peng updated their profile
12 hours ago

herbalists
Daniel Peng replied to DRS's discussion Baking Soda/Vinegar results...
" Actually, I am trying to use D-biotin (Vitamin H) now. "
12 hours ago

bands and musicians
Sprouting Roots posted songs
18 hours ago

bands and musicians
Sprouting Roots updated their profile
18 hours ago

vip supporters
Tiny Turtle loved ☯ ☮ abby carpenter ☯ ☮'s photo
yesterday

vip supporters
Tiny Turtle loved nikymor g. dizon's photo
yesterday

vip supporters
Tiny Turtle loved Lauryn Dowding's photo
yesterday

vip supporters
Tiny Turtle loved NaturalDreads01's photo
yesterday

vip supporters
Tiny Turtle loved Shade Of Ashes's photo
yesterday

vip supporters
Tiny Turtle loved Frida Lindgren's photo
yesterday

vip supporters
Tiny Turtle loved Frida Lindgren's photo
yesterday

herbalists
Daniel Peng replied to DRS's discussion Baking Soda/Vinegar results...
"OK, That looks great. I will also try it."
yesterday

Hey guys!
Just finished my twist and rip dreads today, and honestly, I'm a little discouraged at the results. They look really scraggly, particularly the back, which has large gaps between the dreads. What do you guys think of them? Will this phase pass with time, or should I start over with backcombing since they form thicker dreads?
P.S. I realize I have a TON of rubber bands in my hair haha. I have so many loops already!

IMG_6641.JPG 

IMG_6647.JPG

IMG_6648.JPG

Tags: 1, and, day, first, rip, twist

Views: 813

Replies to This Discussion

Am I correct to assume you done them your self? They look very braidy, hence they may take a while to knot up. My suggestion would be to let them dread naturally. If you are not happy with them now you definitely wont like them when they are teenagers and they seem intent on ruining your life, lmao. From what I have seen teenage manufactured dreads are a lot more wild then naturally formed dreads..You have all lumps and loops popping out everywhere where the hair was "made" to sit instead of allowing it to find its own place...If you know what I mean. How much research have you done? How many stories have you read about others experiences? I recommend reading everything you can read on this site...copy and paste anything you find valuable and make your own little booklet that you can refer back to whenever you need to. Don't rush into anything that you are not 100% sure of. Good luck with your journey and I look forward to seeing the results in a few months :O)

Take care

Cat

Hi luv

I did TnR myself.  Mine didn't look like braids, though.  In fact, at first they just looked like separated strings of hair!  It was a bit discouraging, since it took so much work.  Then I did massive palm-rolling for a couple of weeks until my hands ached.  I shake my head at this now that I know dreads really don't require work and will form on their own. 

I will try to attach a pic of me now, about 2 mo. in.  They do plump up and get EXTREMELY loopy and some parts of my hair now feel/look very matted - but I understand it's all part of the process.  The main aspect of dreads I think folks struggle with is PATIENCE.  It is a very spiritual process in this regard.  You are not going to wake up tomorrow or even in 6 months and have "awesome looking dreads" in any sort of movie star way.  But if you can just relax and laugh a little at how they look as they develop, they are awesome enough!

Soaring Eagle is not a big fan of rubber bands.  They can get stuck in your dreads and incorporate into them, which is kind of icky.  I used them myself until I got to the point that I embraced all of the looseness as just part of the process.

Good luck on your journey!  The pic of me playing didge is when my babies were brand new, about a week old.  The other pics are within the last couple of weeks as I approach the 2 month mark.

Attachments:

Yeah I did them myself with the help of one other friend. We both learned from YouTube haha. I did a TON of research, but I had a hard time finding personal experiences.
Catherine said:

Am I correct to assume you done them your self? They look very braidy, hence they may take a while to knot up. My suggestion would be to let them dread naturally. If you are not happy with them now you definitely wont like them when they are teenagers and they seem intent on ruining your life, lmao. From what I have seen teenage manufactured dreads are a lot more wild then naturally formed dreads..You have all lumps and loops popping out everywhere where the hair was "made" to sit instead of allowing it to find its own place...If you know what I mean. How much research have you done? How many stories have you read about others experiences? I recommend reading everything you can read on this site...copy and paste anything you find valuable and make your own little booklet that you can refer back to whenever you need to. Don't rush into anything that you are not 100% sure of. Good luck with your journey and I look forward to seeing the results in a few months :O)

Take care

Cat

Thanks, Janice :) Your dreads look great in these photos! How many do you have?

Janice said:

Hi luv

I did TnR myself.  Mine didn't look like braids, though.  In fact, at first they just looked like separated strings of hair!  It was a bit discouraging, since it took so much work.  Then I did massive palm-rolling for a couple of weeks until my hands ached.  I shake my head at this now that I know dreads really don't require work and will form on their own. 

I will try to attach a pic of me now, about 2 mo. in.  They do plump up and get EXTREMELY loopy and some parts of my hair now feel/look very matted - but I understand it's all part of the process.  The main aspect of dreads I think folks struggle with is PATIENCE.  It is a very spiritual process in this regard.  You are not going to wake up tomorrow or even in 6 months and have "awesome looking dreads" in any sort of movie star way.  But if you can just relax and laugh a little at how they look as they develop, they are awesome enough!

Soaring Eagle is not a big fan of rubber bands.  They can get stuck in your dreads and incorporate into them, which is kind of icky.  I used them myself until I got to the point that I embraced all of the looseness as just part of the process.

Good luck on your journey!  The pic of me playing didge is when my babies were brand new, about a week old.  The other pics are within the last couple of weeks as I approach the 2 month mark.

That's kind of you.  I have about 40 I think.  If the loose hairs are driving me batty I just wrap them around the closest dread and stick a bead over top rather than an elastic.  And it looks cool, too! hee hee

Nice! I don't have very many, and I think that's the reason there are so many gaps in the back. I think I might split each dread into 2 and maybe backcomb instead of twist and rip (or twist and rip with some backcombing)... Haha I hate to say that 'cuz my friend was at my house yesterday for 12 hours working on them with breaks for meals and stuff, but I really don't like them the way they are now... When I look at others' dread photos I tend to prefer those who have lots and lots of really small ones.

Janice said:

That's kind of you.  I have about 40 I think.  If the loose hairs are driving me batty I just wrap them around the closest dread and stick a bead over top rather than an elastic.  And it looks cool, too! hee hee

Welcome Monica :). I did TnR on most of my dreads as well. It's really hard to tell from a picture, but I would agree that yours look very braidy. It looks like there was minimal knotting while you were doing the "rip" part. I found that it was necessary to hold the strands of hair closer to the bottom and a little bit loose so that when you pulled the sections apart, the looser strands of hair could be pulled up and tangled. Also you can pull apart several times in the same section or just split it a tiny bit differently rather than a full 90 degree turn before ripping again and that will decrease that braidy look. If you do this by the time you get to the ends it has a very tapered look. Those scragglers you can leave whispy or palm roll into the dread. Varying opinions exist about that. :). Of course if you leave yours they way they are eventually they will dread. It'll just take longer and when you take out the bands it's more likely the bottoms will untangle because of the lack of knots. Welcome to the journey :)

Thank you! I feel like I'm definitely gonna learn a lot of valuable lessons involving patience on this journey :)

elke.in.alaska said:

Welcome Monica :). I did TnR on most of my dreads as well. It's really hard to tell from a picture, but I would agree that yours look very braidy. It looks like there was minimal knotting while you were doing the "rip" part. I found that it was necessary to hold the strands of hair closer to the bottom and a little bit loose so that when you pulled the sections apart, the looser strands of hair could be pulled up and tangled. Also you can pull apart several times in the same section or just split it a tiny bit differently rather than a full 90 degree turn before ripping again and that will decrease that braidy look. If you do this by the time you get to the ends it has a very tapered look. Those scragglers you can leave whispy or palm roll into the dread. Varying opinions exist about that. :). Of course if you leave yours they way they are eventually they will dread. It'll just take longer and when you take out the bands it's more likely the bottoms will untangle because of the lack of knots. Welcome to the journey :)

Just wanted to let you guys know I ended up combing out each dread and splitting it into 3 smaller ones. I'm liking the results much more! I also bought some beads and they look awesome! This is a picture of my new dreads the first night I did them - I took out most of the rubber bands (I still have some on a few tips), and I haven't used my salt spray for 2 days so they're not so dry anymore now.

Lookin' good!

i assure you they dont stay that way. just leave them be and they will fatten up all on their own. dont mess with them too much. dont make the mistake i did of trying to combine them to thicken them. give them some time, i assure you theyll look amazing and bumpy and full

I did Twist and rip finally on my whole head on january 12th this year and mine to look stringy but not like braids. Did you wrap your loose hair around them?

They will get better you kinda just need to leave them alone. I dont palm roll mine I do Add Shea butter to them once a week to keep them hydrated and I do seperate them also as they try to grow together. The locs I have in the back of my head are 3 years old and at first I was like oh goodness they look terrible but the mature on their own.  My only oh no now about the new ones it the way they frizz up..

My locs have matured fast as I think the fact that I do not show my hair at all except when I am home makes a difference and has helped them...  

Be patient they will work themsleves out :)

RSS

© 2014   Created by ☮ soaring eagle ॐ.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

Image Zoom