please also join the new dreadlockssite 3.0 mobile pc responsive beta site at ww3.dreadlockssite.com

This site looks and works best in firefox.
Use this menu for quick access to dreading guides pages, and forums sections.

All content on this site is copyrighted, see our terms of service for details

Clean healthy natural dreads community

DreadlocksSite.com is the best place to learn how to grow and care for healthy natural dreadlocks.

Dreadlocks free and easy no products no pricetags

Best dreadlocks shampoo

download our toolbar

please consider donating to support dreadlockssite.com your donations help keep the site running.

Latest Activity

Stubby replied to Stubby's discussion Challenge and I love it
"that's awesome that you stopped smoking. I forgot to mention that I have a garden also. If I…"
12 minutes ago
Diane Circelli loved Stubby's discussion Challenge and I love it
57 minutes ago
Diane Circelli replied to Stubby's discussion Challenge and I love it
"I am/ was the same way. I want to make positive changes in my life! So I'm doing what's…"
57 minutes ago
California Emmet loved Megan Atwood's photo
58 minutes ago
Nichole loved Patience White's discussion I've never been more at home in myself.
1 hour ago

herbalists
Brazaysazen posted photos
1 hour ago
Stubby replied to Stubby's discussion Challenge and I love it
"It's extremely difficult. I used to have so much ice cream in my bowl that my family would…"
2 hours ago

vip supporters
☮MamaKittyLove loved Claire's photo
2 hours ago
NaturalDreads01 left a comment for Patience White
"I know it has been a little while, but Welcome!  We're happy to have you as part of our…"
3 hours ago

vip supporters
Brandi Wilson loved Megan Atwood's photo
3 hours ago

vip supporters
Brandi Wilson loved Brazaysazen's photo
3 hours ago

vip supporters
Brandi Wilson loved Megan Atwood's photo
3 hours ago
NaturalDreads01 loved Patience White's discussion I've never been more at home in myself.
3 hours ago
Diane Circelli loved Patience White's discussion I've never been more at home in myself.
4 hours ago
Diane Circelli loved Patience White's discussion I've never been more at home in myself.
4 hours ago

vip supporters
☮MamaKittyLove replied to Kayln Watts's discussion DREAD HELP!! does this look right?
"The section does look a little big. Remember that the mature dreadlock will be just as thick as the…"
4 hours ago
Diane Circelli replied to Stubby's discussion Challenge and I love it
"I have a very serious question. How did you make the transition from junk foods to healthy fruits…"
4 hours ago

vip supporters
☮MamaKittyLove left a comment for NatureLover
"Are you ever going to start making dreadlock update videos again?! I would love to see your 3+…"
4 hours ago
Elizabeth Tyler replied to Patience White's discussion I've never been more at home in myself.
"you dont have to be perfect to be beautiful. You are beautiful and your hair will be awesome :)"
4 hours ago
Elizabeth Tyler loved Patience White's discussion I've never been more at home in myself.
4 hours ago

here's my hair the day i decided i wanted dreads

i had no faith that my hair would dread on it's own...nor did i have the patience to wait and see...so i did this (tnr).

but i kept obsessing about the sections...undoing and redoing areas...worrying about if they were the right size or not. all the while i read through this website and learned a few things.

at 30 days, i undid my tnrs and decided to go natural.
here's my hair after i took out all the tnr starters. i had them in tight and it took a long time to undo them but oh what a relief it was. my scalp had suffered much.and so from here on you will see the natural progression of my locs :) i have been been using primarily baking soda and water to clean my hair. have added in essential oils a few times and occasionally spray some sea salt water on it. haven't been able (willing) to go that long between washing it...still washing about every other day...i'm working my way to every third day or so but i have quite oily hair. am sleeping on a wool sweater and hoping that helps bring about some dreads.

3 days

8 days

10 days

all frizzle-fried in the sun

30 days

it doesn't really look like much progress from the last set of photos but it feels different. i quit with the sea salt because it was frying my hair. it is sectioning off well and i have several baby dreads forming.

38 days

45 days

the following photos were taken while my hair was still wet so the sections look more defined than when my hair is dry...but i am thrilled about the progress :)

confession: there were a couple sections in the back that were forming quite large and i kept splitting them apart...but they kept joining back together...so i did a little light tnr to get them to stay separated. i felt like i had fallen off the natural path :( but i'm not going to beat myself up about it. in fact i can see that i might have to do it a few other places too. it seems my hair is wanting to separate into either quite small sections (like pencil thin) or long and narrow (like 2 inches by a quarter inch). it's those 2 inch ones i don't care for.

49 days

53 days

i've got all kinds of good stuff going on in the back but the front...nothing :(

61 days

as you can see below, some of the little baby dreads around my neck have REALLY shrunk up!

*will post more as time goes on

i've decided to post other photos in the comment section instead of continuing to add to this area...so, scroll through the comments pages to see more. 

it seems like my hair takes one step forward and two steps back. looking through these older pics is strange because it was looking more dready then than now. i'm sure it is just working itself out.

Views: 7923

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice progress.

Lookin good!

Looks so nice!

I am very new to dreading and my progress is only on day 8... being able to see your progress, especially with you having straight hair, which is what I have at about half your length, is very inspirational for me to keep going and lets me know that I will see continued results!

Yours seem to be doing awesome so I just had a few questions for you...

First, are you still using the wool over your pillow at night?  If not, how long did you use it for before you stopped using it and did it seem to help at all or impede your process?

In one of your photos I took notice to you having a bead towards the back on one of your locks, did this help with locking or was it just for deco?  I'm curious because I heard elsewhere that beads can sometimes help, but only temporarily.

The one thing I know I need to change now, thanks to reading this, is my shampoo and how often I'm doing it.  I've only been using Dr. Bronners, but I've been doing it twice per day because I thought being able to mess up my hair in the shower would help, but I think it's slowing my process down.  So I'm gonna try every other and work my to every 2 days and I'll definitely be using the BS mix instead and Dr. Bronner's maybe 1-2x a month.

Thanks for your postings!  Please keep updating ;)

twice a day?  yea its beter to wash every few dat=ys and u dont want to "mess up the hair in the shower" u want to wah only the scalp and rinse it through the hair avoiding messing up the hair as much as u can

It's great to see how much progress you've made in just  a few months, especially since your hair is straight. That should give hope to the impatient people who think they need to do anything or add anything to "create" dreads

thought i'd jump in here(hope you don't mind grittyjane). beads have been essential to my knotting. since my hair is baby fine and soft i had a lot of problems with knotting in the first 4 months. adding beads to sections really helped encourage them to knot. when i see looping happening i usually take the bead off. i've even joined a few really skinny sections together with a couple of beads and they congoed in a few weeks time. 

☼Earthiest☼ said:

I am very new to dreading and my progress is only on day 8... being able to see your progress, especially with you having straight hair, which is what I have at about half your length, is very inspirational for me to keep going and lets me know that I will see continued results!

Yours seem to be doing awesome so I just had a few questions for you...

First, are you still using the wool over your pillow at night?  If not, how long did you use it for before you stopped using it and did it seem to help at all or impede your process?

In one of your photos I took notice to you having a bead towards the back on one of your locks, did this help with locking or was it just for deco?  I'm curious because I heard elsewhere that beads can sometimes help, but only temporarily.

The one thing I know I need to change now, thanks to reading this, is my shampoo and how often I'm doing it.  I've only been using Dr. Bronners, but I've been doing it twice per day because I thought being able to mess up my hair in the shower would help, but I think it's slowing my process down.  So I'm gonna try every other and work my to every 2 days and I'll definitely be using the BS mix instead and Dr. Bronner's maybe 1-2x a month.

Thanks for your postings!  Please keep updating ;)

Thanks Heather and SE, your responses will help me greatly!

beautifull :)

You are such an inspiration! :)

Great progress, lady!!!

look at all those knots! i'm so happy for you. they look really good.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by ☮ soaring eagle ॐ.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

Image Zoom