please also join the new dreadlockssite 3.0 mobile pc responsive beta site at ww3.dreadlockssite.com

This site looks and works best in firefox.
Use this menu for quick access to dreading guides pages, and forums sections.

All content on this site is copyrighted, see our terms of service for details

Clean healthy natural dreads community

DreadlocksSite.com is the best place to learn how to grow and care for healthy natural dreadlocks.

Dreadlocks free and easy no products no pricetags

Best dreadlocks shampoo

download our toolbar


please consider donating to support dreadlockssite.com your donations help keep the site running.

Latest Activity

Chelsea Maeve left a comment for Chelsea Maeve
"I've stopped all dread matienice. Only way to go. So blessed."
10 minutes ago
Chelsea Maeve loved Koko Earthling's photo
53 minutes ago
Chelsea Maeve loved taye's photo
55 minutes ago
Chelsea Maeve loved taye's photo
55 minutes ago
energyloop loved Vincent G's photo
1 hour ago
energyloop loved Jack Roth's photo
1 hour ago
NaturalDreads01 updated their profile
7 hours ago
energyloop and Koko Earthling are now friends
8 hours ago
Profile IconLake Harvest, Derek sparks, Sissy MacK and 3 more joined Dreadlocks Natural Dreads DreadlocksSite.com
9 hours ago
Amanda Clouse replied to Tiny Turtle's discussion How often can I wash my hair
"Of course! Washing every other day is perfectly fine. That is how often I wash my baby dreads and…"
10 hours ago
NaturalDreads01 replied to Samantha Zimmerly's discussion Help
"for as early into the process as you are, it is totally normal. :D  "
12 hours ago
NaturalDreads01 loved Koko Earthling's photo
12 hours ago

bands and musicians
Samantha Zimmerly posted a discussion

Help

I've asked already about loose roots and know its normal, but the ones on my neckline have probably…See More
13 hours ago

vip supporters
Tiny Turtle replied to Tiny Turtle's discussion How often can I wash my hair
"Stick* not stuck. Lol."
14 hours ago

vip supporters
Tiny Turtle posted a discussion

How often can I wash my hair

I know you can wash fairly often, like twice a week... I've been trying to stuck to that. The thing…See More
14 hours ago

dread gurus
taye and Derek sparks are now friends
15 hours ago
Derek sparks left a comment for Derek sparks
"Need help. Growing my hair back out needing someone to lock it up in about 5-6 months. Help me out…"
15 hours ago
Derek sparks left a comment for taye
"Hello I live in Kingsport and wondering if you could give me advice on dreads! I tried to lock my…"
15 hours ago

dread gurus
taye posted a photo

New hairpin

Chris and Pedro from Artis Ignis made a special hairpin just to fit in my dreads!
19 hours ago

crafty crafters
Koko Earthling commented on Koko Earthling's photo
Thumbnail

Chillin' on this grey day

"Thank you dear :)"
20 hours ago
I have head my "dreads" (more like glued together, dread look-a-likes) for one year... Well, July 25th would have been one year on the dot.

I went to a salon because at the time I, like most of the world, did not know much about dreadlocks, only that I desired them.

The Salon was called "Rockstyles by Ellyse (http://www.rockstyles.com/). It is in Wheeling, IL.
The man there who did my dreads said that he had been dreading the Caucasian hair types for 20 years. He showed me pictures. All the dreads looked beautiful.
I figured I could trust him. (At this point, I had not found this website yet.) I had, however, heard many horror stories about wax.

During the consultation I asked him how he would "make" my dreadlocks. He told me that he would backcomb and twist while applying wax (Knotty boy).

He said that I could not get my hair wet for a month and after that point I'd be okay to wash because my dreads would mature and lock up and no longer need the wax to hold them together.
This made sense to me: Getting the hair wet during the first month or so would "Undread" them.
Because of the Wax horror stories I had heard online, however, I asked SEVERAL times, "Are you SURE the wax will completely wash out??"
He always assured me that it would.

He used quite a bit of Knotty Boy wax and another type of wax while "making" my "dreads."
He would add it in after back combing & twisting and then make me sit under the drier to melt it in... I payed this man, this salon, about $300 total. -What was I thinking?
Well... I had always wanted dreads. I did not know anyone with dreads to tell me the truth... I had no valid source of information. I wasn't interested in "instant gratification" or anything... I just though this was the one & only way people "made" dreadlocks.

I myself only used the wax very sparingly (less than recommended) when they would start to "fall apart."
My hair probably still felt like candles at this point... They looked more like greasy twists than real dreads but he assured me after my concerned phone calls that the wax would in fact wash out, and I'd be left with beautifully knotted, locked dreads.

A month went by, and my twisted, rock hard helmet of hair began to knot...

However, I experienced severe dandruff, and only after several washes did it seem as though all the wax was out.. (Key word: Seem).
*The outside felt fine, smelled fine. Fluffy, soft. In fact, my hair never did smell...

Yet... almost a year later... the roots of my dreads would still not lock at all on their own.
I think it was because they were made by twisting.. I also noticed that they were completely stiff, not light and fluffy like my new dreadhead friend's.

Something was wrong... I tried several baking soda washes, Apple Cider Vinegar Rinses, dishing washing soap, heat... all these efforts in attempt to save my one year old, precious "locks" of waxy hair.

Now, August 11th.. I started the painful process of attempting the comb out so i can start anew and do it the right way. *NO products.*

By myself on August 11th I was only able to comb out ONE dread.. in an hour. ONE dread out of my THIRTY FOUR.

This one dread was one that I was convinced I had clean... A dread that I thought had NO wax left... Guess what. I was utterly wrong.

What did I find while tediously combing through this "dread"? Chunks and Chunks... and chunks... of wax. From a YEAR ago.

[Keep in mind I washed my hair a minimum of three times a week with a baking soda rinse (w/tea tree, rosemary & peppermint oils) this entire time.]

The wax was not white, as it is out of the stick or tub.. it was brown.. blue.. black.. lint, dirt.. "Dog" knows what..all STUCK inside of each and every dread. The wax will not come out... no matter how hard I try and what methods I use.

So far I have tried soaking my hair for 45 minutes in a sink full of boiling hot water... the water was a murky white color... A lot of waxed was removed and softened... but nothing compared to what is STILL left in my dreads.

And softening the wax w/heat STILL did not help at all with the combing out process... Over the course of 2 nights.. a total of 3 or 4 hours.. (the 2nd night I had two people helping me), I now have only THREE dreadlocks completely undone...and the remaining straight hair, still waxy...

I tried leave in conditioner, dish washing soap, hot boiling water, "Hair Mayo"... none of my attempts have made the comb out process seem any less impossible... I feel disgusting. As though I'll never be clean again.

Please, if you have had the same experiences and had any luck combing your's out... & you think you can help me, let me know...

*But more importantly, prevent others from making the same mistakes. Dreadlocks are the most misunderstood hair "style" around. Companies like Knotty Boy & Dreadhead HQ take advantage ignorance. Spread the horror stories.

Tags: HQ, advice, boy, comb, combing, dirt, dreadhead, knotty, lint, out, More…wax

Views: 4025

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

can u take any pictures or vids of what your finding inside a visual would make alotta difference.


try a whole hell of alot of dawn dish soap scrub like crazy then comb out while still soaking in the dawn? im not sure but that sounds like a good idea (using the hottest water u can)
when doing the acv ro remove wax was it diluted i might want to try a straight undiluted 1

and an email i got yesterday suggested that..alcohol rubbing alcohol might dissolve wax which seems possible but
theres no way of knowing how long u would need it in
and
alcohol, fumes can overwhelm u so
be very careful
1: keep far away from eyes dip 1 dread in at a time till soak
breathe through a rube getting fresh air from a few feet away especialy if u soak more then 1 dread at a time
Yes, when I get a chance, I'll definitely post some pictures.. It ain't pretty!
Thanks for the suggestions. Rubbing Alcohol makes sense. I'll let everyone know if any of these things do the trick! :)
<3 Peace.
You're definitely a candidate for the orange oil soap removal concoction that some former Jonny Clean supporters are testing. There's no guarantee that it will get it out yet, but at least it's steps towards finding something that will.

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/former-dreadheadhq-suppo...

I'm so sorry this happened to you. If go through our forums we've had several argumentative discussions with newbies that support the working man selling wax products. And we essentially say "NO PRODUCTS, GO NATURAL" and they say that we're too negative and are bashing people trying to make a living. This is why we're passionate about natural dreads and dislike products and most of us will always "bash" on products. It's fine to make a living as long as you're not harming other people's hair and pushing wax as the end all be all maker for dreads. We want to rescue as many people from wax as possible and if it makes us not seem like peace loving hippies, FUCK IT. Horror stories like this is what keeps us going.
All i can give is a BIG HUG to you...hope your new set will be as rocking and as healthy as you would like them to be...

And I just cant wait for this Orange Oil Soap man... Hows the experiments going? "Real" Experiment I might add...not choo-choo train experiments that baking soda doesnt react with cold water type...
yea good point u should be a test subject for the new wax removal soap
especialy since your combing out u can really seehow effective it is
message them request an overnight delivery and if need be the site will pay the shipping fees
Thank you all. I just e-mailed miss Amy with my info, story, and address.... If this soap can get wax outta my "dreads" it can get wax out of anything!
<3

☮soaringeagleॐ said:
yea good point u should be a test subject for the new wax removal soap
especialy since your combing out u can really seehow effective it is
message them request an overnight delivery and if need be the site will pay the shipping fees
It's like me getting crap from people for being vegetarian. No one wants to hear the facts...

MzElaineous said:
You're definitely a candidate for the orange oil soap removal concoction that some former Jonny Clean supporters are testing. There's no guarantee that it will get it out yet, but at least it's steps towards finding something that will.

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/former-dreadheadhq-suppo...

I'm so sorry this happened to you. If go through our forums we've had several argumentative discussions with newbies that support the working man selling wax products. And we essentially say "NO PRODUCTS, GO NATURAL" and they say that we're too negative and are bashing people trying to make a living. This is why we're passionate about natural dreads and dislike products and most of us will always "bash" on products. It's fine to make a living as long as you're not harming other people's hair and pushing wax as the end all be all maker for dreads. We want to rescue as many people from wax as possible and if it makes us not seem like peace loving hippies, FUCK IT. Horror stories like this is what keeps us going.
definitely a story for the wax lovers.
I'm actually really interested to see what it is looking like, even though it's a shitty situation for you, a visual along with this story.. everyone should read and see before using it ya know?
I hope you can get it all out soon and start your new set, product free :D

whenever we say product free it always makes me think of animals. like cage free animals.
The chickens that are kept in cages and are exposed to longer hours of light so they produce more eggs are kind of like dreads that have used wax or other products.
You may get the eggs quicker, and they may look fine, but those poor chickens are producing eggs at an unhealthy level, and in the end, you don't get the healthiest product in the end, and the source is being over forced and weak inside.
....
those poor chickens :(

But the eggs from free range chickens have a lot harder (healthier) shell, and happy chickens mean healthy eggs :)

You get what I'm saying (hopefully, haha) but anyways, that's just what always pops in my head when I hear "product free" it's a fairly good analogy I think, haha.
i emailed the salon
subject "learn to do dreads right or stop destroying dreads"
message : "im sick and tired of cleaning up your waxy messes
im tired of hearing i was scammed out of 300 bucks and now have to shave my head
wax never belongs in dreads it destroys dreads
you have received a very negative review from one of your victims on our site
it will be removed if u discontinue all wax use and all harmful methods"
Cavewoman you just described the movie I made 3-4yrs ago..lol

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=4&ved=0C...

Cavewoman said:
definitely a story for the wax lovers.
I'm actually really interested to see what it is looking like, even though it's a shitty situation for you, a visual along with this story.. everyone should read and see before using it ya know?
I hope you can get it all out soon and start your new set, product free :D

whenever we say product free it always makes me think of animals. like cage free animals.
The chickens that are kept in cages and are exposed to longer hours of light so they produce more eggs are kind of like dreads that have used wax or other products.
You may get the eggs quicker, and they may look fine, but those poor chickens are producing eggs at an unhealthy level, and in the end, you don't get the healthiest product in the end, and the source is being over forced and weak inside.
....
those poor chickens :(

But the eggs from free range chickens have a lot harder (healthier) shell, and happy chickens mean healthy eggs :)

You get what I'm saying (hopefully, haha) but anyways, that's just what always pops in my head when I hear "product free" it's a fairly good analogy I think, haha.
I already e-mailed him like a two page long detailed explanation just like the one you all just got. He NEVER answered. I didn't sound mad or anything. Just said if you honestly care about the well being of your clients, you need to stop using it because... etc. etc. etc.. No answer. This was MONTHS ago.

So, what did you do with your wax set? Comb em out? Cut em off?

Knottysleeves said:
What a horror story! Thanks for sharing, Amanda. Sorry you had to go through all that. You should call up the salon guy and tell him exactly what you told us. Either he's intentionally being dishonest with his clients, or he has no idea how wax really works and what it's made from, in which case he needs to admit his ignorance and stop using it.

My first set of dreads went just like yours... this was many years ago and the only dread info on the internet back then for Caucasian hair was from KB and DHHQ. They insist that hair like ours NEEDS wax in order to dread, and sadly, I fell for it. I have no problem with honest marketing and honest people wanting to sell products, but they do not even bother telling you there are viable alternatives, much less explain how those alternatives work -- and they claim they are dread experts and "educators"! What a laugh!
Thanks SE, for e-mailing them. I did the same a long time ago, and got no reply..

☮soaringeagleॐ said:
i emailed the salon
subject "learn to do dreads right or stop destroying dreads"
message : "im sick and tired of cleaning up your waxy messes
im tired of hearing i was scammed out of 300 bucks and now have to shave my head
wax never belongs in dreads it destroys dreads
you have received a very negative review from one of your victims on our site
it will be removed if u discontinue all wax use and all harmful methods"

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by ☮ soaring eagle ॐ.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

Image Zoom