please also join the new dreadlockssite 3.0 mobile pc responsive beta site at ww3.dreadlockssite.com

This site looks and works best in firefox.
Use this menu for quick access to dreading guides pages, and forums sections.

All content on this site is copyrighted, see our terms of service for details

Clean healthy natural dreads community

DreadlocksSite.com is the best place to learn how to grow and care for healthy natural dreadlocks.

Dreadlocks free and easy no products no pricetags

Best dreadlocks shampoo

download our toolbar

please consider donating to support dreadlockssite.com your donations help keep the site running.

Latest Activity

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ replied to Stubby's discussion uni-dreads
"well if they tnr natural sections itsnot so uniform i thoiught this was about monodreads  or…"
14 minutes ago

crafty crafters
L Sully and ☮ soaring eagle ॐ are now friends
15 minutes ago
Stubby posted a discussion

uni-dreads

I want to share something that is comical to me. First, let me start out by saying that I am not…See More
47 minutes ago
Una loved Baba Fats's video
1 hour ago

crafty crafters
Nim Davis commented on Nim Davis's status
"Thaks!"
2 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ replied to ☮ soaring eagle ॐ's discussion locs and traction alopecia from twisting or interlocking
"updated with even more shocking pictures"
2 hours ago

crafty crafters
L Sully posted photos
2 hours ago

crafty crafters
L Sully updated their profile
2 hours ago

crafty crafters
L Sully commented on Jennaleigh Moonflower's blog post what is misunderstood
"Hello. I'm in eastern SC... originally from Hawaii. The judging of difference here is like the…"
2 hours ago
Brittany Goeden loved BeauZay's photo
4 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ left a comment for deondre morgan
"welcome  how would u start this time "
6 hours ago
Profile Icondeondre morgan, Joseph, Courtney and 1 more joined Dreadlocks Natural Dreads DreadlocksSite.com
6 hours ago
Reberus loved Lauryn Dowding's photo
6 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ replied to Garrett Sale's discussion Practical reasons for starting naturally
"great points but im sure theres so many other practice reasons why its  the smarter…"
6 hours ago
Claire loved BeauZay's photo
6 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ is now friends with matthew clark and An Nguyen
6 hours ago
Bob Ngarly replied to Bob Ngarly's discussion UPDATE: Bald Head to Ballin Dreads 13 months.
"update 1 year dread anniversary, and month 13. BOB GNARLY LOCS"
7 hours ago

vip supporters
Crystal Longseth replied to Crystal Longseth's discussion Hello there
"I got my Dreadlock shampoo in a week or two ago and I love it so much! My hair is still pretty…"
9 hours ago
Garrett Sale posted a discussion

Practical reasons for starting naturally

I am sure that most of this has been mentioned before, but i just wanted to point out some really…See More
9 hours ago

vip supporters
Love Unlimited loved BeauZay's photo
10 hours ago

I'm at a crossroads. I TnR my hair around 3 months ago and even added in extensions to every TnR dread. They looked picture perfect overnight and I loved them at first. I crocheted the extensions in and crocheted my natural hair all over probably 7-8 times.

Now? I have frizz all over. I couldn't stand the extensions because they kept falling out and I didn't feel they were a part of "me." I am upset with myself because I don't have a dread journey. I naturally have beautiful curly hair. My dreads don't capture that. They don't capture me or anything. They're generic.The extensions were so long and heavy they pulled on my hair so it couldn't even flow freely to loop/twirl/live/thrive. I have a few loops at the base and I adore them.

I just got done taking out all of my extensions, and the ends of my hair are a little damaged from all the crocheting but nonetheless they're curling at the ends :D

My question is: I am tempted to comb my TnR out and start over. I want my hair to move about as it wishes and form on its own into lovely tendrils or dreads. I want a dread journey. the personal growth I've experienced just bringing myself to make them in the first place literally made me cry when I tnr my first one!!

The only "But" here is:, I'm scared of what I'll find due to my crochetting. Will it be a mess and will I be worse off? Should I just keep going down this road? or should I unravel the mess and let nature take its course??

First pic is my lovely hair before any of my stupidness

Second pic is my hair when i first started tnr.

third pic is my hair without extensions. totally gross and fuzzy frizzy, albeit better than with extensions.

Help me!

Views: 1052

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well you have a choice here. You can comb it all out and start over or you could let your dreads naturalize by leaving them alone and letting them do their own thing from now on.  To comb them out slather on undiluted conditioner, let it soak. Start at the tip and slowly, gently comb the knots out. Work your way up. It is a long tedious process. But if you are wanting neglect that is the way to do it.

Now your next option is to keep your dreads. Throw the crochet needle away, or learn how to make scarves :)  I know several people who have used crochet as a starting method and then never crocheted again. Their dreads are lovely. Crochet is bad for your hair but the damage has already been done. It takes a while for the frizz to calm down, but it will.

You are on a dread journey no matter what starting method you choose. Your dreads are only 3 months old. Since you removed the extensions the weight is gone. If left alone now, they will start loosening up, you will see more lumps and loops in the coming months. There may not be as many because the crocheted parts are probably a little tight. You could use a small amount of olive oil or grape seed oil to condition and loosen the tightly crocheted areas.( I wouldn't use much. and make sure you wash it out well.)

Over time they will naturalize and loose the crocheted look. Dreads go through a very messy stage. It is normal for them to look wild and untamed. So whatever you decide....i wish you many happy years on your journey :)

Well i like the messy 3rd pic of you and i think you look cute like that.

So i would stick to it and do nothing beside washing and separating.

taye said it all  and you do look cute in the 3rd pic

also  you will have a fuzzy frizzy period to get through wether u continue or start over

I just recently un-tnr'd mine and am starting over from scratch, really happy with that decision, I know exactly how you feel about the desire to let them create themselves. Whatever you decide good luck!

seems a hell of alot end up starting over naturally

Yeah, I want to look at changes as progress, not the other way around. Natural is the only way to do this I feel.

Thank you for all the helpful replies. I wish I would have found this site sooner! I think I'm going to take them out and start over with neglect method :) Live and learn :)

try to save as much hair as u can

i dont think ive ever seen someone so beautiful! sorry, not related to the topic at all...

Dreaded Shredder said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by ☮ soaring eagle ॐ.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

Image Zoom