please also join the new dreadlockssite 3.0 mobile pc responsive beta site at ww3.dreadlockssite.com

This site looks and works best in firefox.
Use this menu for quick access to dreading guides pages, and forums sections.

All content on this site is copyrighted, see our terms of service for details

Clean healthy natural dreads community

DreadlocksSite.com is the best place to learn how to grow and care for healthy natural dreadlocks.

Dreadlocks free and easy no products no pricetags

Best dreadlocks shampoo

download our toolbar

please consider donating to support dreadlockssite.com your donations help keep the site running.

Latest Activity

Nathan St. Armand commented on Lauryn Dowding's blog post How my dreads have changed me
"No--I understand completely--and am sensitive to that also."
1 hour ago
Mama Kats loved Mama Kats's photo
2 hours ago

vip supporters
ZoeyRainsMom loved BeauZay's photo
2 hours ago

vip supporters
ZoeyRainsMom loved Bear Scott's discussion Dreadlock Maintenance: A Cautionary Tale
2 hours ago
Profile Icondanny and MichaelBankser joined Dreadlocks Natural Dreads DreadlocksSite.com
3 hours ago

vip supporters
Husni Assidiq loved Pamela Isley's photo
5 hours ago

vip supporters
Husni Assidiq loved Janus Dousas's photo
5 hours ago

herbalists
Lauryn Dowding commented on Lauryn Dowding's blog post How my dreads have changed me
"Thank you for reading it i appreciate the feedback ad glad you enjoyed it. I don't necessarily…"
7 hours ago
Jah-Jah Warrior loved Pamela Isley's photo
13 hours ago

bands and musicians
smoke commented on smoke's photo
Thumbnail

dreadkoto

"thank you"
13 hours ago

herbalists
Lauryn Dowding and Nathan St. Armand are now friends
14 hours ago

herbalists
Lauryn Dowding loved Lauryn Dowding's profile
14 hours ago
Naya Friel loved Jasper's photo
17 hours ago
Naya Friel loved Jasper's photo
17 hours ago
Naya Friel and Jasper are now friends
17 hours ago

crafty crafters
To Live Is To Dye replied to Kayla's discussion Lice!!
"I have heard that alcohol can kill them, but how do you get rid of their dead bodies? I know…"
17 hours ago

herbalists
LionOfJudah replied to Kayla's discussion Lice!!
"Teatree oil alone works great as a prevent, the fumes and such. Removing lice is easy! You can use…"
17 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ left a comment for Nathan St. Armand
"\im reakl sick but illtry tianswer the besrt way is wputsomer inthescalp anbd  scrub thescaslp…"
18 hours ago
Frida Lindgren loved Mama Kats's photo
21 hours ago
Reberus loved Bear Scott's discussion Dreadlock Maintenance: A Cautionary Tale
21 hours ago
crocheted dreads become weak and are much more high maintenance than any other dreads.
every time you push a crochet hook through a dread to pull in 1 loose hair you break dozens maybe even hundreds of other hairs. this slowly weakens the dread, while the broken hairs then find theyre way back out requiring more crochet to pull in the hairs broken by fixing the damage caused by crocheting
this process never ends
year after year you continue dammage and dammage repair till the dreads are so weak they break
the average crochet dread requirews 5-15 hours work a week

in addition, the dreads get a very woven look this looks very different from thre natural growth so crochetting must continue to keep that uniform woven look

if you crochet in the beginning a few times then stop you can recover
but continued crocheting will become a lifelong habit

its not worth it

the average crochet dreads take more work per week then i put into mine in 20 years
why make extra work for yourself?

Tags: crochet, crocheted, crocheting, dreadlock, dreadlocks, dreads, hook

Views: 7147

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Would it do much damage if you just crochet them once? with no products?

define..too much damage

would they fall off no but they will take 6 months before they even begin to dread properly and will get extra fuzzy from the broken hairs

why would u want to do thaat ever

I dont know just a question because I know a lot of people who have problems with their dreads growing, sometimes get those extensions put in by crocheting them in.. Dont really see the point though

they dont have problems with their dreads growing they have problems waitting for them to grow..theres a difference

I know but my cousin has problems with hair growth and her hair is so thin, she doesn't even have dreads..

ok. after 17 months of locks and crochet - i've had enough.

From now on I'll stop knitting my dreadlocks . btw- the girl who  maintain them for me- every 4 months or so -  grow  dreads for 7 years.

What are the alternatives for a  neat look?  

they look beautiful if u just leave em alone but use a lil aloe to tame the frizz if u need to

the frizz will go away on it's own. Mine are now 8month old, started with the crochet hook and now there's almost no frizz any more :)

ok, thanks. " aloe" = aloe vera?

roni said:

ok, thanks. " aloe" = aloe vera?

Thanks, Evelyn. as for "fake" dreads: 

Discussions regarding 'authentic' versus 'fake' dreads, are a little
problematic to me. It recalls the old arguments about "nature" /
"culture, socialization process, etc…

Some of us must keep a neat appearance, and are therefore cannot
"go nature".

Personal note:  In my country, hook crochet
is the most  - if not the only- popular. method.

Did not go to a salon but to a young, talented  woman. I love my dreads and  have to deal on daily basis with remarks, some
of them nasty.

I find this site helping and educated. disappeared in recent months due
to family matters - and trying to catch up.

aloe=aloe vera yes some other aloe varieties are toxic and skin iritants and will make your skin feel like its being attacked by fire ants so if u get a plant be sure its aloe vera

and the fake isnt meant to be derogatory but just how they look fake looking manufactured indistinguishable from a dread wig or synthetic extentions

thanks. might buy a cream.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by ☮ soaring eagle ॐ.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

Image Zoom