please also join the new dreadlockssite 3.0 mobile pc responsive beta site at ww3.dreadlockssite.com

This site looks and works best in firefox.
Use this menu for quick access to dreading guides pages, and forums sections.

All content on this site is copyrighted, see our terms of service for details

Clean healthy natural dreads community

DreadlocksSite.com is the best place to learn how to grow and care for healthy natural dreadlocks.

Dreadlocks free and easy no products no pricetags

Best dreadlocks shampoo

download our toolbar

please consider donating to support dreadlockssite.com your donations help keep the site running.

Latest Activity

OnyxShadow updated their profile
28 minutes ago
Profile IconOnyxShadow, Sarah Emayah, Bombini and 4 more joined Dreadlocks Natural Dreads DreadlocksSite.com
30 minutes ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ replied to Robyn's discussion Lockin up Pink Himalayan Sea Salt Spray Review
"well  the thing is crochet makes dreads tio tight to dsread  so what yiou really want is…"
42 minutes ago
Fernandreads replied to Robyn's discussion Lockin up Pink Himalayan Sea Salt Spray Review
"Guys, i've done the crochet method for years and now I stopped to let them lock naturally.…"
58 minutes ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ replied to MamaEmmelia's discussion Starting over; the shape of my locks.
"can you post pics of whatthey looked like b4 u combed them  out "
1 hour ago
Marcus Aurelius replied to Marcus Aurelius's discussion Dread Journal / Questions about Dread Health, Etc
"Soaring eagle, Thanks for the speedy insight. I won't touch them except to wash and separate.…"
1 hour ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ left a comment for chris
"welcome  read the dreaducation page the only person that should ever toucvh your dreasds isd…"
1 hour ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ replied to Dredwing's discussion Very mature dreads that always thin at the ends.
"have you ever used a crochet hook, interlocked (root flipped) or any sort of dread tools in the past"
2 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ left a comment for Dredwing
"welcome the 1 most important tip i can give you is to wash way way more often"
2 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ replied to Dredwing's discussion Very mature dreads that always thin at the ends.
"well 1st off you are not washing nearly enough my dreads are 24 years and a foot past the floor or…"
2 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ left a comment for Rajinder Pagel
"thats not a good idea in fact a couple were killed by a bear cause they smeared honney in thier…"
2 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ left a comment for Rosetta Fuller
"welcome but you should stop using that gel also if your retwisting..stop it causes traction…"
2 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ replied to Marcus Aurelius's discussion Dread Journal / Questions about Dread Health, Etc
"crochets horrible no matter whbat but they didnt blungt the tips so thsats good ifthey arentr super…"
2 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ left a comment for Marcus Aurelius
"welcome but stop crochet thats 1 of the absolute worse things u can do to them"
2 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ left a comment for Bombini
2 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ left a comment for Sarah Emayah
2 hours ago
MamaEmmelia replied to Coco Chloe's discussion Homeschool/unschool folks?
"Unschooling tendencies, that is. ;)"
3 hours ago
MamaEmmelia replied to Coco Chloe's discussion Homeschool/unschool folks?
"We are homeschoolers, & I was homeschooled as a child too. =) We do Charlotte Mason (how I was…"
3 hours ago
MamaEmmelia replied to MamaEmmelia's discussion Starting over; the shape of my locks.
"Also, just FYI...I have very fine hair. It's not thick, but not necessarily thin either. Just…"
3 hours ago
MamaEmmelia posted a discussion

Starting over; the shape of my locks.

Hey y'all! It's been a while! Just some quick history: I had a set of locks that lasted two years.…See More
4 hours ago

Hi everybody, i was just wondering if any of you awesome dreadies know how to spin animal fur into yarn? I'm looking for someone who I could pay to ship my husky's fur to them and  have it made into yarn. Sorry if this comes off sounding weird, haha, allow me to explain. My husky drops his coat twice a year, once in the fall and once in the spring. The fur he drops is very downy and silky, and pure white and i really just want to have husky yarn because im obsessed with my dog! I can't find anyone in Maryland who knows how to do it, so i thought i would try this website : ) So if anyone knows how to spin yarn out of animal fur and is trying to make a couple bucks let me know! Thanks : )

Views: 301

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

think its mindy that spins yarn?

1 of the crafters thats always in chat anyway

Ooh, I was just thinking about this in regards to my cats.  I'm keeping their fur in separate baggies until I have enough and then I'm going to just teach myself how to do it.

http://www.joyofhandspinning.com/

This site looked interesting since it talks about rabbit (and other wooly animals) so I kind of figured it would be pretty much the same.

glad i'm not the only one who saves their animals fur. lol! i saw a lady on etsy that will needle felt the fur into a little animal that looks like your dog. its expensive but i'm going to find a way to get it done sometime. i knows its weird but i love my dogs and this would be a great keepsake when they pass.

I totally spin!!! I knit a shawl for my cousin using fur from her chow chow! lol! message me how much you have!

Gift shops here sell wool/ dog sled dog fur blend yarn. Obviously the dog sled dogs are huskys but not all tourists know that. So it can be done and you aren't too odd! :) Although i don't know how to do it. I actually just started trying to get the undercoat off of my goats who are now shedding like crazy for spring so i can do the same. I thought about shaving them down but then i get alot of hair i don't want in there that i will need to pick out so im going to try to get most of the undercoat out before shaving them. Im going to ask a few local people to help me figure it out and i'll let you know if i figure it out. I know one girl has a cashmere herd so she must know how to do it.

I must have this book!
Crafting with Cat Hair

Also, this site give really good information as to what hair to look for when brushing out your dog and how to properly store it:

http://www.wrapcandy.com/hobbies-and-crafts/Use-Your-Dogs-Hair.php

I definitely will need to transfer my hairs from the baggies to a paper bag... or maybe I will just make some long bags from some scrap fabric.

i just talked to the girl who is going to teach me to spin. she said to store hair in a pillowcase.

Sorry I didn't notice this thread!  I do spin, but I've never done animal "hair", just wool and blends(bamboo, nylons etc), and alpaca.  My own dog sets off my contact dermatitis so I'm hesitant to experiment much :(

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by ☮ soaring eagle ॐ.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

Image Zoom