please also join the new dreadlockssite 3.0 mobile pc responsive beta site at ww3.dreadlockssite.com

This site looks and works best in firefox.
Use this menu for quick access to dreading guides pages, and forums sections.

All content on this site is copyrighted, see our terms of service for details

Clean healthy natural dreads community

DreadlocksSite.com is the best place to learn how to grow and care for healthy natural dreadlocks.

Dreadlocks free and easy no products no pricetags

Best dreadlocks shampoo

download our toolbar

please consider donating to support dreadlockssite.com your donations help keep the site running.

Latest Activity

herbalists
Lauryn Dowding commented on Lauryn Dowding's blog post How my dreads have changed me
"Thank you for reading it i appreciate the feedback ad glad you enjoyed it. I don't necessarily…"
1 hour ago
Jah-Jah Warrior loved Pamela Isley's photo
7 hours ago

bands and musicians
smoke commented on smoke's photo
Thumbnail

dreadkoto

"thank you"
7 hours ago

herbalists
Lauryn Dowding and Nathan St. Armand are now friends
8 hours ago

herbalists
Lauryn Dowding loved Lauryn Dowding's profile
8 hours ago
Profile IconMichaelBankser and Frankie Bevevino joined Dreadlocks Natural Dreads DreadlocksSite.com
9 hours ago
Naya Friel loved Jasper's photo
10 hours ago
Naya Friel loved Jasper's photo
10 hours ago
Naya Friel and Jasper are now friends
11 hours ago

crafty crafters
To Live Is To Dye replied to Kayla's discussion Lice!!
"I have heard that alcohol can kill them, but how do you get rid of their dead bodies? I know…"
11 hours ago

herbalists
LionOfJudah replied to Kayla's discussion Lice!!
"Teatree oil alone works great as a prevent, the fumes and such. Removing lice is easy! You can use…"
11 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ left a comment for Nathan St. Armand
"\im reakl sick but illtry tianswer the besrt way is wputsomer inthescalp anbd  scrub thescaslp…"
11 hours ago
Frida Lindgren loved Mama Kats's photo
14 hours ago
Reberus loved Bear Scott's discussion Dreadlock Maintenance: A Cautionary Tale
15 hours ago
Nathan St. Armand commented on Lauryn Dowding's blog post How my dreads have changed me
"This is a novel, enjoyable write up. Thanks for sharing it with us."
15 hours ago
Nathan St. Armand commented on Lauryn Dowding's blog post How my dreads have changed me
"I still do not like the idea of cutting trees down. Sometimes I try and see that it is used to…"
15 hours ago
"You are great. I can relate. I don't know if trees can feel pain or not, but I do think that…"
15 hours ago

herbalists
Janus Dousas posted photos
16 hours ago

herbalists
Janus Dousas updated their profile photo
16 hours ago
Nathan St. Armand commented on Lauryn Dowding's photo
Thumbnail

Photo on 12-10-2014 at 16.27

"Your looking good. Um... your dreadlocks look good too I mean. ;)"
17 hours ago
So I seem to have a bit of a build-up on my scalp. I wash every other day with bs. As far as I can tell I've been rinsing thoroughly. Like if my hair is damp, or even dry I guess, if I scrape certain areas of my scalp with my fingernail, I get moist pasty gunky stuff under my nail :S

Any ideas what this is from?

Also, could be to do with the gunk, but I'm not sure, but my head has been getting itchier lately. I know dread itch can be common, but for like the last month is really when it started itching. I know it's common with new dreads, but mine are like 4 and a half months old. In the pst month they have been getting noticeably tighter and loopier. Could the recent tightening have caused the itching?

Thanks in advance everyone! :)

Views: 1126

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm about at the same place you are 3 1/2mnths.  I take a blender fill with water just dump about for shakes of baking powder, 20 and 20 drops of rosemary and tea tree oil.  I only wash once a week.  havn't had any problems yet.

Maybe I should invest in some rosemary. I've heard it can darken your hair, so I've been hesitant, but it sounds like I should give it a whirl :)

youd have to make a  tea to darken hair the oil shoouldnt

most definitely your water. when i first started my journey i could'nt figure out how people were getting such a good clean with bs when all i was getting was undissolved bs in my pitcher and white goo on my scalp. doing some research i found that people who do "no poo" had figured out the bs doesn't break down in water with high mineral content. you need to use filtered water or you'll have to boil the water. i tried a bs wash the first day i got my water filter and i finally was able to see why people were raving about it. i took a 2 qt pitcher of filtered water and added 1/2 cup of bs and stirred. it made a wonderful fizzing sound (which it never had before) and when i felt the water it has a nice soft almost slick feel to it unlike the gritty texture when mixed with hard water. my hair and scalp get super clean and i follow it up with an acv rinse(2tbs. acv to 2 qts. water). my hair and scalp have never been this clean and felt this great. i still have a bit of flaking but my scalp is on the dry side so whatever. 

I went through that stage too, I washed hair everyday and scratched my scalp while the shampoo was in with my finger nails to loosen everything up. Now my scalp has adjusted and no more build up. Some here say wash less, I say wash everyday. I figure the washing motions tangle hair even more thus dreading faster. but hey, to each their own...  GL with your dredies :) 

Wow I'll definitely be trying the water boiling thing! Thank you for the detailed info! This might sound dumb, but do I boil the water and then mix in the bs once it's boiling, or just mix it up and boil it all at once? It probably makes no difference, but I just wanna make sure I get it down right lol

boil the water first and then take it off the heat and let it cool down for about 5 minutes before adding the bs. if you add the bs while its boiling then it will fizz up and over the pot edge. then let it cool down to a temperature that comfortable to pour over your head. add whatever oils you want too.

i wash my hair over the bath tub with my head hanging down in front of me so i have better access to my scalp. i make my bs wash in a pitcher and then pour it over my dry hair and catch it in a bowl in the bathtub. i then pour the water back into the pitcher and repeat this a couple more times and then rinse. i don't always do an acv rinse but if i do then i fill the pitcher with water again and then add about 2 tbs. acv and pour that over my head. then i rinse for about 10 minutes with cold water. 

hope this helps:)

Awesome! Thanks a whole bunch! I'm anxious to try this! :)
And thank you everyone for all your replies and help! Much appreciated! :)

Earthstudios said:

Some here say wash less, I say wash everyday. I figure the washing motions tangle hair even more thus dreading faster. but hey, to each their own...  GL with your dredies :) 

That's kinda how I look at it too :)
Okay, so I boiled the water first when I washed my hair last night. I too heard a fizz that I hadn't heard before lol. My hair definitely feela less grimey. There is still a little of the gunk on my scalp, but I'm hopeful that after several washes it'll be gone, and I might even need to add a little extra bs. I think after playing with the measurements a bit this should work great. I'm about positive it was the water issue. Thanks everybody!
try 3/4 cup next time and pour your water into a big bowl or the bathroom sink. Dunk your head in so that your scalp gets a bit submerged and then scrub at it with your finger tips. squeeze out any excess water and then put a towel on your head and let the BS sit for about 20 minutes before rinsing. it really helps get the gunk off.

Cristin Nessen said:
Okay, so I boiled the water first when I washed my hair last night. I too heard a fizz that I hadn't heard before lol. My hair definitely feela less grimey. There is still a little of the gunk on my scalp, but I'm hopeful that after several washes it'll be gone, and I might even need to add a little extra bs. I think after playing with the measurements a bit this should work great. I'm about positive it was the water issue. Thanks everybody!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by ☮ soaring eagle ॐ.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

Image Zoom