please also join the new dreadlockssite 3.0 mobile pc responsive beta site at ww3.dreadlockssite.com

This site looks and works best in firefox.
Use this menu for quick access to dreading guides pages, and forums sections.

All content on this site is copyrighted, see our terms of service for details

Clean healthy natural dreads community

DreadlocksSite.com is the best place to learn how to grow and care for healthy natural dreadlocks.

Dreadlocks free and easy no products no pricetags

Best dreadlocks shampoo

download our toolbar


please consider donating to support dreadlockssite.com your donations help keep the site running.

Latest Activity

Jah-Jah Warrior loved Katie Rose's photo
2 hours ago

bands and musicians
Gypsy Vin Rose posted photos
2 hours ago

bands and musicians
Gypsy Vin Rose posted photos
3 hours ago
Katie Rose posted photos
5 hours ago

vip supporters
coheteia replied to Coco Chloe's discussion Homeschool/unschool folks?
"I love child led learning! I think it is the best way to help children understand who they are and…"
8 hours ago
Linus loved smoke's photo
8 hours ago
Kazz Pagan updated their profile
10 hours ago
Profile IconKazz Pagan and danny joined Dreadlocks Natural Dreads DreadlocksSite.com
10 hours ago

crafty crafters
To Live Is To Dye updated their profile
20 hours ago

bands and musicians
Eric Organiscak loved Sophie Delquié's photo
23 hours ago

crafty crafters
To Live Is To Dye replied to Kayla's discussion Lice!!
"Does the alcohol dissolve the dead lice? Or are the lice carcasses just forever a part of your…"
yesterday
themaneman replied to Sergeant Pepper's discussion Crystals in your dreads? in the group Crystal Collectors
"hello i have crystals all over the house made some dream catchers with them in it and i too thought…"
yesterday
themaneman joined Torie Shea's group
Thumbnail

Crystal Collectors

Love rocks and crystals? Here's a place to show of your collection, talk about crystal remedies,…See More
yesterday
themaneman replied to ☮ soaring eagle ॐ's discussion loops lumps kinks and zig zags in dreadlocks
"love all them the same if not more here and there!!"
yesterday
Nathan St. Armand commented on Lauryn Dowding's blog post How my dreads have changed me
"No--I understand completely--and am sensitive to that also."
yesterday
Mama Kats loved Mama Kats's photo
yesterday

vip supporters
ZoeyRainsMom loved BeauZay's photo
yesterday

vip supporters
ZoeyRainsMom loved Bear Scott's discussion Dreadlock Maintenance: A Cautionary Tale
yesterday

vip supporters
Husni Assidiq loved Pamela Isley's photo
yesterday

vip supporters
Husni Assidiq loved Janus Dousas's photo
yesterday
I've been hearing that salt water is good to get a rougher texture and get your hair to lock up, but I was wondering what I could expect from using a salt water solution, how I should use it, and if it will cause my scalp to dry out and get itchy.

Tags: dreadlocks, dreads, lock, salt, solution, up, water

Views: 2039

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

what it seems most people do is mix sea salt into a warm spary bottle, some put lemon in it or other, and spray it onto to their dreads be4 rinsing it out after about 15mins,

if you live near the beach that helps 2, I live in florida in a town next to the beach so i just went there alot in my early months and it helped my locks alot. it gives them a dryer texture,
it can itch *not horribly* but some other scalps may react differently to the salt and cause an itchier feeling.
it was never bad for me though, and washes out fairly easy.
Thanks, man! That's just what I needed to know!

Iain said:
what it seems most people do is mix sea salt into a warm spary bottle, some put lemon in it or other, and spray it onto to their dreads be4 rinsing it out after about 15mins,

if you live near the beach that helps 2, I live in florida in a town next to the beach so i just went there alot in my early months and it helped my locks alot. it gives them a dryer texture,
it can itch *not horribly* but some other scalps may react differently to the salt and cause an itchier feeling.
it was never bad for me though, and washes out fairly easy.
i use sea salt mixed with warm water, lavender oil, and tea tree oil in a spray bottle ... it helps alot ...

be aware though ... don't spray it near your scalp ... the salt can irritate badly ... AND today when i was going through my hair the solution that got on my hands left me with what looked like a chemical burn ... my knuckles were so red and burning! so see, you definitely don't want to get it on your scalp. :)

going to the beach is a whole nother story ... i never had a problem with the salt on my scalp
Sea water is roughly only about 5% alkalinity, so you prolly wouldn't wanna mix your salt water much srtonger. Maybe one part sea salt to 20 parts water.

J@cque said:
i use sea salt mixed with warm water, lavender oil, and tea tree oil in a spray bottle ... it helps alot ...

be aware though ... don't spray it near your scalp ... the salt can irritate badly ... AND today when i was going through my hair the solution that got on my hands left me with what looked like a chemical burn ... my knuckles were so red and burning! so see, you definitely don't want to get it on your scalp. :)

going to the beach is a whole nother story ... i never had a problem with the salt on my scalp
I used salt water but it came straight from the sea. Left it in for a day or two, it really helped.
Lonnie Berg said:
Sea water is roughly only about 5% alkalinity, so you prolly wouldn't wanna mix your salt water much srtonger. Maybe one part sea salt to 20 parts water.

J@cque said:
i use sea salt mixed with warm water, lavender oil, and tea tree oil in a spray bottle ... it helps alot ...

be aware though ... don't spray it near your scalp ... the salt can irritate badly ... AND today when i was going through my hair the solution that got on my hands left me with what looked like a chemical burn ... my knuckles were so red and burning! so see, you definitely don't want to get it on your scalp. :)

going to the beach is a whole nother story ... i never had a problem with the salt on my scalp

definitely this,
using anymore than that could be pretty bad in terms of itching,

I would like to clarify I live and go to the beach all the time so my opinion might be a little biased since I'm used to how it feels, just go easy on the salt,
it wont burn bad if u use just a lil salt and alotta water
try a taste test it sould be kinda salty but not extremely
u dont need alot

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by ☮ soaring eagle ॐ.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

Image Zoom