please also join the new dreadlockssite 3.0 mobile pc responsive beta site at ww3.dreadlockssite.com

This site looks and works best in firefox.
Use this menu for quick access to dreading guides pages, and forums sections.

All content on this site is copyrighted, see our terms of service for details

Clean healthy natural dreads community

DreadlocksSite.com is the best place to learn how to grow and care for healthy natural dreadlocks.

Dreadlocks free and easy no products no pricetags

Best dreadlocks shampoo

download our toolbar


please consider donating to support dreadlockssite.com your donations help keep the site running.

Latest Activity


dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ replied to ☮ soaring eagle ॐ's discussion the future of dreadlockssite and testers needed
"quick update the subdomains are now on the new upgraded server the archive files from the site are…"
7 minutes ago

vip supporters
Rev. Nira updated their profile
1 hour ago

bands and musicians
Jake Waight replied to ☮ soaring eagle ॐ's discussion loops lumps kinks and zig zags in dreadlocks
2 hours ago
space_monster posted a photo
4 hours ago
Neve posted photos
7 hours ago
Profile IconAileen Shelley Rose, Alisa and Cory C joined Dreadlocks Natural Dreads DreadlocksSite.com
8 hours ago
April Parker loved Bear Scott's discussion Dreadlock Maintenance: A Cautionary Tale
12 hours ago
April Parker commented on April Parker's blog post Dreading in the south
"I have no idea where I'd find a rainbow anything around here! I've always been one to…"
13 hours ago
April Parker replied to Cynthia Luxford's discussion Am I too old to start dreadlocks for the first time?
"I despise age-ism...along with all other isms. ;)"
13 hours ago
April Parker loved Katie Rose's photo
13 hours ago
April Parker loved ☮ soaring eagle ॐ's status
13 hours ago
Carlissa Gonzalez left a comment for ☮ soaring eagle ॐ
"Oh really? My hair is above my neck. I prefer to grow it out pass my shoulders. I was thinking of…"
14 hours ago
Carlissa Gonzalez left a comment for ☮ soaring eagle ॐ
"Thank you very much for helping I appreciate it :) Once my hair grow longer I will def try this"
14 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ said
"so many damn beautiful dready goddesses on here sometimes its almost like torture to not get to hang out with you all"
14 hours ago
Carlissa Gonzalez updated their profile
15 hours ago

herbalists
Cynthia Luxford loved Katie Rose's photo
15 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ replied to Cory C's discussion My journey
"tips only towl rub once to get some knots then leaveem alone stop using a towl comepletely if u…"
19 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ left a comment for Cory C
"welcome towel rubbing only creates a general knotty mess  so u should only rub once to create…"
19 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ left a comment for Alisa
"welcome we hyave a shops site to add your shop too however very soon we might upgrade the site so…"
19 hours ago

vip supporters
☮MamaKittyLove left a comment for christina popejoy
"Hey beautiful lady! How are the locks coming along?!"
20 hours ago
I've had my dreads for about 11 months now, & I am curious of the outcome thus far. I know dreads go through a shrinkage stage from anywhere between 6 - 12 months. I know it's only been a month beyond the 12, but my dreads are much shorter than when I first started, which when they were first dreaded were down to my Jasmine, about 8 or so inches. Now, they're anywhere between 4 and 6 inches. Some only 1 inch because ocf breakage, which has happened to about 5 of them, mainly in the back where my hair is straighter. I dyed three of them at the root to see if they are even growing because at this point I am pretty scared that they're either not growing or growing very, very slowly, and I honestly do not want to cut them off & start all over. When should I be expecting a noticeable growth in my hair after the shrinking stage that has already passed? Is there anyway to be sure my hair is actually growing? Am I doing something wrong, or missing something? What should I DO!? Please help, I don't want to start all over again! :/

Views: 6017

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

why did they break what have you done to weakrn them so much besides the stupid stuff the salonbs told you to do

hairs always growing

1/2 inch a month average

sometimes less

but the shrinking stage dont sudenly reverse to growth it slows then stalls then grows

give it 2-3 months and u will see an inch probly

but

whatever u been doing that caused em to break..stop

stop everrything but washing and seperating

ps sometimes just seperating u gain a small bit of lenghth since the roots that were bound get released

are you for sure they arent growing? I've never heard of someones hair not growing. Are you loosing your hair (genetics) are you shedding a lot. 
How is your diet? Dreads are different until they get longer and heavier they don't show length. My hair seems very short until I wash them the. They are
Wet and heavy and I can shake them and they actually move. But.. Reality sets in and they dry and Matt back Down..
I wouldnt worry about it.. I'm sure your fine... Just forget about them.. A watched pot never boils... Keep this in mind. Happy dreading 

Give them time.  Mine shrunk to half the original length and then grew faster then they did before I locked them.  

Eagles right, they go through a stage where they shrink.  then a stage where they seem to stall out on you.  Then after a little while they will start growing and you wont be able to stop them.  

And yeah, what happened that they broke off?  I mean, I've lost a few from week roots, but none have ever broken off in the middle

How long did it take yours to shrink, baba?

To be honest, I did absolutely NOTHING. My friend did my dreads for me, he had been reading a lot on 'em, & I had no clue on the subj. but I wanted them. He told me use no product, wash whenever, & clockwise rub. I had one in the front completely fall out & the other one was starting to thin but I used the hair from the old one and other loose hairs & added it to that one to save it. The three in the back pretty much completely broke off & since then (6 months or so ago) doesn't seem they have grown much at all. Still at an inch. My dad said it may have been a lack of moisture on my scalp which probably caused them to break. I don't know. I'm giving it 'til the second year mark to see some decent results 'cause I'm getting pretty agitated with 'em y'know. & also I havent been to any salons. I've read a lot that they do nothing to help haha.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ said:

why did they break what have you done to weakrn them so much besides the stupid stuff the salonbs told you to do

hairs always growing

1/2 inch a month average

sometimes less

but the shrinking stage dont sudenly reverse to growth it slows then stalls then grows

give it 2-3 months and u will see an inch probly

but

whatever u been doing that caused em to break..stop

stop everrything but washing and seperating

ps sometimes just seperating u gain a small bit of lenghth since the roots that were bound get released

I mean in not sure that's why I'm asking. Because I know they shrink & all it just seems that after a whole year they should seem to be growing noticeably. There's no shedding or nothing like that, minus the breakage but that was about 5-6 months ago. Good quote'. I'll be sure to keep that in mind, forreal.

tha tron said:
are you for sure they arent growing? I've never heard of someones hair not growing. Are you loosing your hair (genetics) are you shedding a lot.  How is your diet? Dreads are different until they get longer and heavier they don't show length. My hair seems very short until I wash them the. They are Wet and heavy and I can shake them and they actually move. But.. Reality sets in and they dry and Matt back Down..
I wouldnt worry about it.. I'm sure your fine... Just forget about them.. A watched pot never boils... Keep this in mind. Happy dreading 
I'm not sure what happened, exactly. Just that the one's in the back became very lose, I tried redreading them (TnR) & then my hair just came out like that. On three different dreads. I had two on each side break & lose a lot of hair but the damage wasn't as bad (6 to 4 in. instead of 5 to 1 in. like the back). I also had two in the front, one broke off in the middle, completely, & the other is still here, the middle started to thin but I saved it so it should be good now. I literally have done nothing known to cause this. I know I'm not balding or anything. My dad told me it was a lack of moisture on my scalp, so he helped me with that & now I'm just trying to be patient. Thing is I could be a lot more patient, but I'm just so anxious just 'cause of all the breakage & stalling of the growth.

Baba Fats said:

Give them time.  Mine shrunk to half the original length and then grew faster then they did before I locked them.  

Eagles right, they go through a stage where they shrink.  then a stage where they seem to stall out on you.  Then after a little while they will start growing and you wont be able to stop them.  

And yeah, what happened that they broke off?  I mean, I've lost a few from week roots, but none have ever broken off in the middle

the clockwise rubbing can break the hairs at the roots. It is not a good thing to do. I am curious as to how you added hairs to the dread to save it. Have you been crocheting your hair?

What about bleach or dye? Malnutrition can cause brittle hair as well. Are you under weight?

yeah, clockwise rubbing destroys roots.  That's probably what did them in.  

mine shrunk for about a year.  then stayed a constant length for a good few months before they grew again.  

when you say you added hair, you mean that you took loose hairs near the lock and tried to tangle them into it, right?  That's not bad.  It depends on how you did it.  If you did it be rubbing the root and trying to twist them in, that's what caused the breakage.  Twisting and root rubbing rip out more hairs and damage the root to a point that it will be really hard to fix itself, if they even can.  

How did you dad "help you with moisture"?  washing them often, and a spray bottle with jojoba/essential oils/water will help dramatically with keeping them soft and healthy.  

Damn. I wish I would've known that. I did my research on the whole tightening roots & the sources stated that, that was what needed to be done. & I had my girl kinda braid it sorta @ the root from all the loose hairs around it & what not. It doesn't look braided @ all. It worked, though.

taye said:

the clockwise rubbing can break the hairs at the roots. It is not a good thing to do. I am curious as to how you added hairs to the dread to save it. Have you been crocheting your hair?

What do you mean "What about bleach or dye?"? Have I? Yah, first time I've ever put any sort of dye or anything in my hair but that was literally less than a week ago. & it's a slightly lighter brown & I did them @ the roots of only three of 'em, as a 'mark' to see if teyre growing or how much they're growing. I'm not necessarily underweight, I'm pretty small though. I only weigh about 114 lbs. now & am 5'8". Yeah, pretty small, but not unhealthy-small eh.

elke.in.alaska said:
What about bleach or dye? Malnutrition can cause brittle hair as well. Are you under weight?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by ☮ soaring eagle ॐ.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

Image Zoom