please also join the new dreadlockssite 3.0 mobile pc responsive beta site at ww3.dreadlockssite.com

This site looks and works best in firefox.
Use this menu for quick access to dreading guides pages, and forums sections.

All content on this site is copyrighted, see our terms of service for details

Clean healthy natural dreads community

DreadlocksSite.com is the best place to learn how to grow and care for healthy natural dreadlocks.

Dreadlocks free and easy no products no pricetags

Best dreadlocks shampoo

download our toolbar

please consider donating to support dreadlockssite.com your donations help keep the site running.

Latest Activity

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ left a comment for Seth Spencer
"you'll get there after a step backwards or 2 good thing they werent too tight :) they will…"
23 minutes ago
Seth Spencer left a comment for ☮ soaring eagle ॐ
"Thanks for the welcome!! They weren't done too tight and started laying down after the first…"
36 minutes ago
April Parker said
"So I haven't conditioned my hair since probably the 1st, but now my head is kindof itchy and have had some bumps on my scalp ...I'm guessing"
42 minutes ago
AnitaDR04 loved Gilly's Mum's profile
1 hour ago

vip supporters
Brandi Wilson loved christopher lazarus's photo
4 hours ago

vip supporters
Brandi Wilson loved Abby's photo
4 hours ago

vip supporters
Brandi Wilson commented on bells's photo
Thumbnail

In the forest.

"You're beautiful. Great picture"
5 hours ago

vip supporters
Brandi Wilson loved bells's photo
5 hours ago

vip supporters
Brandi Wilson loved bells's photo
5 hours ago
Peter loved Dakota Whiteaker's photo
5 hours ago
Peter loved christopher lazarus's photo
5 hours ago
Peter left a comment for ☮ soaring eagle ॐ
"Oh good, and thanks very much for your reply.  Some dreads aren't straight anymore…"
5 hours ago
Peter left a comment for ☮ soaring eagle ॐ
"I just read your message to Dani about not palm rolling. I've had my dreads (crochet recovery)…"
6 hours ago

herbalists
Ibe Reverie left a comment for ☮ soaring eagle ॐ
"thanks for the welcome :) it's good to be back, renewed. "
6 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ left a comment for Dani Moody
"welcome dani wouldnt bother palm rolling though it does nothing helpfil but can cause permenant harm"
7 hours ago
Profile IconDani Moody, Ibe Reverie, Boo and 2 more joined dreadlocks forums
7 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ left a comment for Ibe Reverie
7 hours ago

bands and musicians
FⒶSHIONABLE POVERTY replied to ☮ soaring eagle ॐ's discussion beautiful inspirational dreadlock pictures
" "
7 hours ago

herbalists
Nathaniel Lopez replied to Nathaniel Lopez's discussion Problem with new locks
"They are a little too short to tie back right now. I will try the aloe first. If that doesnt work…"
7 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ left a comment for Boo
"welcome are u planning on dreading?"
8 hours ago

Not dread related, but question about Didjeridoos...

Hey everyone! Anybody out there quite knowledgeable about Didjeridoos????? I LOVE them and would like to learn how to play one. Came across a great source for them, but not knowing ANYTHING about them, I have no idea how the prices compare. They had all different kinds (agave) and ranged in price from almost $1,000.00 to $130.00. They are all hand made and beautiful (no PVC or anything like that).

Sunday is my last day to grab one before they move on (It was at a local art fair). The couple selling them were awesome (from New Mexico) and played for me. It was the most hypnotic and beautiful thing I have ever heard. Apparently they are very accomplished musicians.

Anyway - anyone have any advice either way?

Tags: advice, buying, didjeridoos

Views: 352

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi from Canada

I bought my first didge for Cdn $55 and the second for Cdn $25.  The first is carved and heavy & beautiful, I think eucalyptus?  I don't know what type of wood.  The second is lighter and painted.  Every didge has its own distinct drone, no two exactly alike.  If I could afford a "real" one straight from Australia, made/decorated/blessed by Aborigines, that is what I would go for.  Mine are from Indonesia, and I just don't think the spirit is the same.  Anyway, I learned how to play by watching YouTube, got some great tips on circular breathing (which I still can't do worth shite, IMO).  I would consider making my own from PVC if I had time.  For my next musical purchase I really want a hang drum! omg, talk about amazing and hypnotic!!!

Cheers

I purchased a didge in Australia when i visited it cost A$165. The proper Aus ones are hollowed out by ants. Its got a turtle carved on it and is beautifully painted.

1000??????????????????????

i traded a t shirt for my 1st 1 at a rainbow gathering

u can totalty get a way waty way better deal

130 is outragouse 1000 is highway robbery

I think you can practise circulat breathing before buying it by putting a straw in a bottle of war. Then try to blow in it the more time possible. With circular breating you should be able to blow in it infinity of time without interruption. It need a lot of practise I think.

My husband plays. I've tried but I've never been able to get it right. We have two. I honestly couldn't tell you exactly what they are made out of, but my favortite ones are the ones that have the big flaired(?) end. I don't think thats the proper name for them, but its like a bell on the end. I agree that no two sound the same. It depends on what they're made of, how their made and how you play. All sound beautiful though. I, as well and my two children (2 & 5) love the sound. I think it's a very soothing sound. :)

Good luck with finding the one that fits you and learning to play. It's a truely amazing instrument!

Um... $130 is a great price.  But... it won't be all that great quality.  If you want something that's high quality, you'll be spending something around $300+

What you want to look for is clarity of tone, back pressure, undertones, hoot note, what key it's in and if it's steady, and if it likes to be played fast or slow (that's up to how you play) but it's important for which one you buy.  

Check out Didjshop.com

They have tons of selections.  I have one that I made from bamboo and another my parents got me a few years ago.  bamboo use beeswax for the mouthpiece,  normal wood don't.  It's personal preference.  

Didjshop also has samples of how each one sounds

Star, it's called a bell, and those can be mad from all sorts of wood.  Some are made from agave, but eucalyptus is most common in Australia.  But any other wood can be made for that flare.  

Circular breathing is actually not to hard to learn.  What you need to do is blow out like blowing through a straw but keep you cheeks puffed up.  When you need to breath in through your nose, push your cheeks together pushing that extra air out while you inhale through your nose.  It changes the pressure of the breath, thus changing the tone you'll make.  You can do it with your hand in front of your mouth to feel if you are really still exhaling, or you can do it with a straw and cup of water, but that's messy and not too practical if you are not at home

I want a hang drum too, but unfortunalty, they are not made anymore.  it's a hard find.  Only one guy in I thin it was Sweden made them, and he stopped a few years ago.  Good luck finding one.  And if you do, let me know I really want one too

Janice said:

Hi from Canada

I bought my first didge for Cdn $55 and the second for Cdn $25.  The first is carved and heavy & beautiful, I think eucalyptus?  I don't know what type of wood.  The second is lighter and painted.  Every didge has its own distinct drone, no two exactly alike.  If I could afford a "real" one straight from Australia, made/decorated/blessed by Aborigines, that is what I would go for.  Mine are from Indonesia, and I just don't think the spirit is the same.  Anyway, I learned how to play by watching YouTube, got some great tips on circular breathing (which I still can't do worth shite, IMO).  I would consider making my own from PVC if I had time.  For my next musical purchase I really want a hang drum! omg, talk about amazing and hypnotic!!!

Cheers

A bell... Eh, I was close. :)

lol.  you got it

if you are buying a real didge, they are coming from real Aborigines.  It's better to by from them cause over 80% of didj's sold are not made by them.  They get very upset that they are not making the money off of their native instruments

I've been playing didge for a few months now, and managed to get circular breathing down within a few days; I can play some pretty cool improvisation rhythms now and can keep playing non-stop without gaps.

www.didgeridoobreath.com has some pretty amazing didgeridoos, some of the best in the world in fact. Alongside this, most of their didgeridoos are actually purchased from the Aboriginies and then sold. You'll definitely want a termite hollowed eucalyptus didge for quality, and they start at just over $200 and go up to around $2000.

Happy didging!

Actually, hang drums are made by a pair(?) of people in Switzerland. And, althought there is around a six month backlog of people that have ordered them, or are ordering them, they are still being made.

Baba Fats said:

I want a hang drum too, but unfortunalty, they are not made anymore.  it's a hard find.  Only one guy in I thin it was Sweden made them, and he stopped a few years ago.  Good luck finding one.  And if you do, let me know I really want one too

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by ☮ soaring eagle ॐ.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

Image Zoom