please also join the new dreadlockssite 3.0 mobile pc responsive beta site at ww3.dreadlockssite.com

This site looks and works best in firefox.
Use this menu for quick access to dreading guides pages, and forums sections.

All content on this site is copyrighted, see our terms of service for details

Clean healthy natural dreads community

DreadlocksSite.com is the best place to learn how to grow and care for healthy natural dreadlocks.

Dreadlocks free and easy no products no pricetags

Best dreadlocks shampoo

download our toolbar

please consider donating to support dreadlockssite.com your donations help keep the site running.

Latest Activity

herbalists
Daniel Peng updated their profile
1 hour ago

herbalists
Daniel Peng replied to DRS's discussion Baking Soda/Vinegar results...
" Actually, I am trying to use D-biotin (Vitamin H) now. "
1 hour ago

bands and musicians
Sprouting Roots posted songs
8 hours ago

bands and musicians
Sprouting Roots updated their profile
8 hours ago

vip supporters
Tiny Turtle loved ☯ ☮ abby carpenter ☯ ☮'s photo
14 hours ago

vip supporters
Tiny Turtle loved nikymor g. dizon's photo
15 hours ago

vip supporters
Tiny Turtle loved Lauryn Dowding's photo
15 hours ago

vip supporters
Tiny Turtle loved NaturalDreads01's photo
15 hours ago

vip supporters
Tiny Turtle loved Shade Of Ashes's photo
15 hours ago

vip supporters
Tiny Turtle loved Frida Lindgren's photo
15 hours ago

vip supporters
Tiny Turtle loved Frida Lindgren's photo
15 hours ago

herbalists
Daniel Peng replied to DRS's discussion Baking Soda/Vinegar results...
"OK, That looks great. I will also try it."
19 hours ago
Profile IconDaniel Peng and merdenoms joined Dreadlocks Natural Dreads DreadlocksSite.com
19 hours ago
space_monster loved Randy's photo
19 hours ago
space_monster loved Randy's photo
19 hours ago
space_monster loved Samantha Zimmerly's photo
19 hours ago

bands and musicians
Sprouting Roots loved Chloe's photo
20 hours ago

bands and musicians
Jessica Reyes and Diana lorenzana are now friends
21 hours ago
Jah-Jah Warrior replied to Franco Ezebuenyi's discussion HandRubbing/Towel Rubbing Method
"I got more than 2 yrs locking but i started out the sectioning with 2strand twists. I never…"
22 hours ago
Str8Loca loved ☮ soaring eagle ॐ's page salon dread guide (if you must go that route)
23 hours ago

Hey. What kind of thread is it that everyone uses to wrap around their dreads? Is it embroidery thread? And how do you get it to stay? ;)

Views: 5188

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For the knot technique (like friendship bracelet) this video explains/shows it best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVRE_w1F2zo

It doesn't show it on dreads, but it's the best directions I've seen yet.

Hope this helps!

a simple walk thru for the macrame knots.... 

take a few strands of whatever colors you want... make them approximately 3-4 inches longer than you want your wrap. Tie the end around your dread you want it in.   Take all the colors but one and hold them in your left hand if you are right handed (opposite for lefties).  Take the remaining color in your right hand and kinda fold it over the dread and other pieces in kindof a 4 shape... that's the shape you will see. Then take the end of that piece and pul it under and thru the center of the 4. continue on this same way until you are ready to switch colors. Pick your next color and put it in your right hand... first color back to the left hand with the rest. and just keep going in this way. Make sure not to turn anything over and hold it tight as you are doinig it. The knots will spiral around the dread and be very beautiful. Once you get to the end of your thread or hemp just trim the ends of the thread. There are so many knots it won't come loose. Hope this helps

a simple walk thru for the macrame knots.... 

take a few strands of whatever colors you want... make them approximately 3-4 inches longer than you want your wrap. Tie the end around your dread you want it in.   Take all the colors but one and hold them in your left hand if you are right handed (opposite for lefties).  Take the remaining color in your right hand and kinda fold it over the dread and other pieces in kindof a 4 shape... that's the shape you will see. Then take the end of that piece and pul it under and thru the center of the 4. continue on this same way until you are ready to switch colors. Pick your next color and put it in your right hand... first color back to the left hand with the rest. and just keep going in this way. Make sure not to turn anything over and hold it tight as you are doinig it. The knots will spiral around the dread and be very beautiful. Once you get to the end of your thread or hemp just trim the ends of the thread. There are so many knots it won't come loose. Hope this helps

The wrap with the spiral is called a Chinese staircase. You may be able to find better videos or tutorials searching that.

I would like to see  video that shows exactly how to do it yourself.  Does it speed up the locking of the dreads that are stubborn?

kindadebatable if it does or doesnt ive heard both claims but it prevents thenm from unraveling so in that it might it also squishes them so they are thin and straight and loop free but the roots grow in thicker so u can have a dread way thinner then the new growth dread ..but i think that can maybe sliowly equalize i dunno im not sure i could figure out which dreads weere wrapped early on

this is it thebn you can do a double versiom to get the double spiral then if u reverse it each time u get straight ridges that dont spirakl (single or double)

its super simple

I would LOVE to see your video!

Nichole Currier said:

I have a few different ways i wrap mine, and my friends dreads, if you still need a video i can make a few when i have down time with the kid, later tonight, on a few wraps i do.

Ixchel has a video on her page on how to do it!!!

i have tried wrapping my dreadlocks in embroidery thread but my dreads just seem to eat the thread. also, my locks stay wet longer when they are wrapped and i am afraid that is just risking mildew, how do people deal with these issues and what am i doing wrong?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ said:

u do not wasnna sew em in

its embroidery thread i=or ..hemp

theres 2 wauys

1 spreeed wraps

tie the threads ariung the roots lay all colors but cutrrent along the dread  wrap curren color around and around till u switch colors   simple but falls apart quickly (weeks to a couple months)

fancy macran=me knotted ones  this takes more time cause yu do fancy macreme kknotted wraps  these are way more decoratived and lasts  years even (hemp ones can last 5 or more years)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by ☮ soaring eagle ॐ.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

Image Zoom