please also join the new dreadlockssite 3.0 mobile pc responsive beta site at ww3.dreadlockssite.com

This site looks and works best in firefox.
Use this menu for quick access to dreading guides pages, and forums sections.

All content on this site is copyrighted, see our terms of service for details

Clean healthy natural dreads community

DreadlocksSite.com is the best place to learn how to grow and care for healthy natural dreadlocks.

Dreadlocks free and easy no products no pricetags

Best dreadlocks shampoo

download our toolbar

please consider donating to support dreadlockssite.com your donations help keep the site running.

Latest Activity

Profile Icondanny and MichaelBankser joined Dreadlocks Natural Dreads DreadlocksSite.com
1 hour ago

vip supporters
Husni Assidiq loved Pamela Isley's photo
3 hours ago

vip supporters
Husni Assidiq loved Janus Dousas's photo
3 hours ago

herbalists
Lauryn Dowding commented on Lauryn Dowding's blog post How my dreads have changed me
"Thank you for reading it i appreciate the feedback ad glad you enjoyed it. I don't necessarily…"
4 hours ago
Jah-Jah Warrior loved Pamela Isley's photo
10 hours ago

bands and musicians
smoke commented on smoke's photo
Thumbnail

dreadkoto

"thank you"
11 hours ago

herbalists
Lauryn Dowding and Nathan St. Armand are now friends
11 hours ago

herbalists
Lauryn Dowding loved Lauryn Dowding's profile
11 hours ago
Naya Friel loved Jasper's photo
14 hours ago
Naya Friel loved Jasper's photo
14 hours ago
Naya Friel and Jasper are now friends
14 hours ago

crafty crafters
To Live Is To Dye replied to Kayla's discussion Lice!!
"I have heard that alcohol can kill them, but how do you get rid of their dead bodies? I know…"
14 hours ago

herbalists
LionOfJudah replied to Kayla's discussion Lice!!
"Teatree oil alone works great as a prevent, the fumes and such. Removing lice is easy! You can use…"
15 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ left a comment for Nathan St. Armand
"\im reakl sick but illtry tianswer the besrt way is wputsomer inthescalp anbd  scrub thescaslp…"
15 hours ago
Frida Lindgren loved Mama Kats's photo
18 hours ago
Reberus loved Bear Scott's discussion Dreadlock Maintenance: A Cautionary Tale
18 hours ago
Nathan St. Armand commented on Lauryn Dowding's blog post How my dreads have changed me
"This is a novel, enjoyable write up. Thanks for sharing it with us."
19 hours ago
Nathan St. Armand commented on Lauryn Dowding's blog post How my dreads have changed me
"I still do not like the idea of cutting trees down. Sometimes I try and see that it is used to…"
19 hours ago
"You are great. I can relate. I don't know if trees can feel pain or not, but I do think that…"
19 hours ago

herbalists
Janus Dousas posted photos
19 hours ago

Im just wondering because I mostly see women who have beads in their dreads but I think they are pretty cool and want to have a bunch. Im just wondering if its more of a feminine thing?

Views: 1536

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

guys can definitely wear beads, too! i can't wait until i can wear some but most of my hair has big zigzags on the ends so beads won't go on yet:( 

I've been natural for four weeks now, and almost all of my hair has already sectioned itself into babies that are about 1" square at the root, but I can easily fit beads with 1/4" holes all the way up to the root. I'm assuming these are ok to use for now to cut down on my time spent separating almost daily as long as they can still move up and down freely. I will definitely move up to larger diameter beads as my locks mature and thicken, but I'm looking for reassurance and/or guidance.

As they mature, they will eventually take on the size of the roots, but when they are younger they are usually thinner.  Don't worry about it.  My sections are  about 2-3 inches in some places. I like them like that.  Not all of them are than big.  Only 3-4.  And the tips are not nearly that big.  The reason they seem thinner at the root right now is that the hair is still straight and not a tangled mess.  As it tangles and mats it'll thicken up.  Just be patient

Very wise, thank you, Baba! I am patient and loving every day. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to strangle them or stunt their growth ;)

The only thing I see possibly happening is that if you leave them in and forget about them, they might, might, end up having hairs tangle around them and get a little stuck.  It won't hurt your locks, but you might get tired of that particular bead.  I'd check it every once in a while to make sure it can still move around.  it's not that big a deal, but I know I get sick of some beads sometimes and want a change.  But I have fatter locks so it's hard to find locks that my bead fit on.  I only have 3 or 4 locks right now that are thin enough for any of my beads.  If I want a new bead, I have to replace one that's already there

Awesome, that sounds fair. Like I said, I intend these beads to be temporary, like braces or training wheels :) I'll switch it up and size up when they're beginning to outgrow and use the smaller ones as a bracelet or some other body adornment.

I want to put beads in my hair but so far my dreads are not thick enough for the glass ones I have.

Go for it, its not feminine.
Plus I find the ladies love it. 

i must not be worried bout whats masculine or feminine cause ive had  plenty of colorful glass beads ive had bones ive had feathers and flowers and bells and other jingly jangly things

but i dont think a beard makes a woman masculine nor a bead make a man feminine and i think too many people spend to much time thinking bout such silly things

I"d have all those things, but Just as my personality suggests, I like more muted colours.  And I hate to jingle, so bells and such are out.  But I wear flowers in them and feathers too

a color is a color why does it have to be more than that right?

wear whatever YOU enjoy. 

☮ soaring eagle ॐ said:

i must not be worried bout whats masculine or feminine cause ive had  plenty of colorful glass beads ive had bones ive had feathers and flowers and bells and other jingly jangly things

but i dont think a beard makes a woman masculine nor a bead make a man feminine and i think too many people spend to much time thinking bout such silly things

i dont have any actual beads because i havent made or bought any but i have my old gauged tunnels in my hair. 2 lime green 0gauge and 1 red 00gauge :)

Anything with a whole in the middle acts like a bead.  So your tunnels are fine.  I'd use my old 00g's but my locks are too fat for them

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by ☮ soaring eagle ॐ.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

Image Zoom