please also join the new dreadlockssite 3.0 mobile pc responsive beta site at ww3.dreadlockssite.com

This site looks and works best in firefox.
Use this menu for quick access to dreading guides pages, and forums sections.

All content on this site is copyrighted, see our terms of service for details

Clean healthy natural dreads community

DreadlocksSite.com is the best place to learn how to grow and care for healthy natural dreadlocks.

Dreadlocks free and easy no products no pricetags

Best dreadlocks shampoo

download our toolbar

please consider donating to support dreadlockssite.com your donations help keep the site running.

Latest Activity

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ commented on Tara C's blog post Middle-of-the-Night Thoughts on Meat-Eating and non-Meat-Eating.
"they dont feel pain they might communicate danger thats it and u dont have to kill a plantto…"
56 minutes ago
Sarah commented on Tara C's blog post Middle-of-the-Night Thoughts on Meat-Eating and non-Meat-Eating.
"Oh, and eating nuts and seeds of plants is practically like eating plant embryos, right? Even if…"
1 hour ago
Sarah commented on Tara C's blog post Middle-of-the-Night Thoughts on Meat-Eating and non-Meat-Eating.
"There are recent studies that show plants may feel pain. "They don't have nerve cells…"
1 hour ago
Diane Circelli loved ☮ soaring eagle ॐ's discussion before and after dreadlocks pictures comparing dreads no dreads
7 hours ago
Diane Circelli replied to ☮ soaring eagle ॐ's discussion before and after dreadlocks pictures comparing dreads no dreads
"These transformations are gorgeous! Every bodies smiles after they dread!"
7 hours ago
NaturalDreads01 replied to Patience White's discussion I've never been more at home in myself.
"It is not only our light that teaches us, but also our darkness if we learn to accept and learn its…"
9 hours ago
NaturalDreads01 replied to Patience White's discussion I've never been more at home in myself.
"Well we are happy to have you as part of our community! :D Everything is perfect.. It just takes a…"
9 hours ago

vip supporters
Crystal Longseth replied to ☮ soaring eagle ॐ's discussion before and after dreadlocks pictures comparing dreads no dreads
"Love looking at the before/after pics!"
11 hours ago
California Emmet replied to California Emmet's discussion Looking for advice
"Okay, thank you! "
12 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ replied to California Emmet's discussion Looking for advice
"kinda does look rather large  id pick or ccomb it out and make it 4"
12 hours ago
California Emmet posted a discussion

Looking for advice

Okay so I have recently become concerned at the size of a few of my sections that are kind of…See More
12 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ is now friends with Diane Circelli and Lee Mercury
13 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ left a comment for jane
"welcome are u planning to dread soon if so how and be sure to read the dreaducation page 1st"
13 hours ago

vip supporters
Brandi Wilson loved ☮ soaring eagle ॐ's video
13 hours ago
Diane Circelli commented on Sarah's blog post Other than a hat...
"Day 7! you go girl, I haven't had a problem with separation yet, mine don't want to be…"
13 hours ago
Diane Circelli loved Sarah's blog post Other than a hat...
13 hours ago
Profile Iconjane, S C and Lee Mercury joined Dreadlocks Natural Dreads DreadlocksSite.com
14 hours ago
California Emmet loved ☮ soaring eagle ॐ's video
14 hours ago
kim russell joined ferry's group
Thumbnail

cali dreads

nor cal, socal standup! group for people from beautiful killa cali!
15 hours ago
kim russell loved KelloKiki's discussion Dyeing Damaged Dreads! Help!
15 hours ago

Im just wondering because I mostly see women who have beads in their dreads but I think they are pretty cool and want to have a bunch. Im just wondering if its more of a feminine thing?

Views: 1492

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

guys can definitely wear beads, too! i can't wait until i can wear some but most of my hair has big zigzags on the ends so beads won't go on yet:( 

I've been natural for four weeks now, and almost all of my hair has already sectioned itself into babies that are about 1" square at the root, but I can easily fit beads with 1/4" holes all the way up to the root. I'm assuming these are ok to use for now to cut down on my time spent separating almost daily as long as they can still move up and down freely. I will definitely move up to larger diameter beads as my locks mature and thicken, but I'm looking for reassurance and/or guidance.

As they mature, they will eventually take on the size of the roots, but when they are younger they are usually thinner.  Don't worry about it.  My sections are  about 2-3 inches in some places. I like them like that.  Not all of them are than big.  Only 3-4.  And the tips are not nearly that big.  The reason they seem thinner at the root right now is that the hair is still straight and not a tangled mess.  As it tangles and mats it'll thicken up.  Just be patient

Very wise, thank you, Baba! I am patient and loving every day. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to strangle them or stunt their growth ;)

The only thing I see possibly happening is that if you leave them in and forget about them, they might, might, end up having hairs tangle around them and get a little stuck.  It won't hurt your locks, but you might get tired of that particular bead.  I'd check it every once in a while to make sure it can still move around.  it's not that big a deal, but I know I get sick of some beads sometimes and want a change.  But I have fatter locks so it's hard to find locks that my bead fit on.  I only have 3 or 4 locks right now that are thin enough for any of my beads.  If I want a new bead, I have to replace one that's already there

Awesome, that sounds fair. Like I said, I intend these beads to be temporary, like braces or training wheels :) I'll switch it up and size up when they're beginning to outgrow and use the smaller ones as a bracelet or some other body adornment.

I want to put beads in my hair but so far my dreads are not thick enough for the glass ones I have.

Go for it, its not feminine.
Plus I find the ladies love it. 

i must not be worried bout whats masculine or feminine cause ive had  plenty of colorful glass beads ive had bones ive had feathers and flowers and bells and other jingly jangly things

but i dont think a beard makes a woman masculine nor a bead make a man feminine and i think too many people spend to much time thinking bout such silly things

I"d have all those things, but Just as my personality suggests, I like more muted colours.  And I hate to jingle, so bells and such are out.  But I wear flowers in them and feathers too

a color is a color why does it have to be more than that right?

wear whatever YOU enjoy. 

☮ soaring eagle ॐ said:

i must not be worried bout whats masculine or feminine cause ive had  plenty of colorful glass beads ive had bones ive had feathers and flowers and bells and other jingly jangly things

but i dont think a beard makes a woman masculine nor a bead make a man feminine and i think too many people spend to much time thinking bout such silly things

i dont have any actual beads because i havent made or bought any but i have my old gauged tunnels in my hair. 2 lime green 0gauge and 1 red 00gauge :)

Anything with a whole in the middle acts like a bead.  So your tunnels are fine.  I'd use my old 00g's but my locks are too fat for them

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by ☮ soaring eagle ॐ.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

Image Zoom