please also join the new dreadlockssite 3.0 mobile pc responsive beta site at ww3.dreadlockssite.com

This site looks and works best in firefox.
Use this menu for quick access to dreading guides pages, and forums sections.

All content on this site is copyrighted, see our terms of service for details

Clean healthy natural dreads community

DreadlocksSite.com is the best place to learn how to grow and care for healthy natural dreadlocks.

Dreadlocks free and easy no products no pricetags

Best dreadlocks shampoo

download our toolbar

please consider donating to support dreadlockssite.com your donations help keep the site running.

Latest Activity

Jah-Jah Warrior loved Pamela Isley's photo
2 hours ago

bands and musicians
smoke commented on smoke's photo
Thumbnail

dreadkoto

"thank you"
3 hours ago

herbalists
Lauryn Dowding and Nathan St. Armand are now friends
3 hours ago

herbalists
Lauryn Dowding loved Lauryn Dowding's profile
3 hours ago
Profile IconMichaelBankser and Frankie Bevevino joined Dreadlocks Natural Dreads DreadlocksSite.com
4 hours ago
Naya Friel loved Jasper's photo
6 hours ago
Naya Friel loved Jasper's photo
6 hours ago
Naya Friel and Jasper are now friends
6 hours ago

crafty crafters
To Live Is To Dye replied to Kayla's discussion Lice!!
"I have heard that alcohol can kill them, but how do you get rid of their dead bodies? I know…"
6 hours ago

herbalists
LionOfJudah replied to Kayla's discussion Lice!!
"Teatree oil alone works great as a prevent, the fumes and such. Removing lice is easy! You can use…"
7 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ left a comment for Nathan St. Armand
"\im reakl sick but illtry tianswer the besrt way is wputsomer inthescalp anbd  scrub thescaslp…"
7 hours ago
Frida Lindgren loved Mama Kats's photo
10 hours ago
Reberus loved Bear Scott's discussion Dreadlock Maintenance: A Cautionary Tale
10 hours ago
Nathan St. Armand commented on Lauryn Dowding's blog post How my dreads have changed me
"This is a novel, enjoyable write up. Thanks for sharing it with us."
11 hours ago
Nathan St. Armand commented on Lauryn Dowding's blog post How my dreads have changed me
"I still do not like the idea of cutting trees down. Sometimes I try and see that it is used to…"
11 hours ago
"You are great. I can relate. I don't know if trees can feel pain or not, but I do think that…"
11 hours ago

herbalists
Janus Dousas posted photos
11 hours ago

herbalists
Janus Dousas updated their profile photo
12 hours ago
Nathan St. Armand commented on Lauryn Dowding's photo
Thumbnail

Photo on 12-10-2014 at 16.27

"Your looking good. Um... your dreadlocks look good too I mean. ;)"
12 hours ago
Nathan St. Armand posted photos
12 hours ago
Since I started riding a motorcycle recently, I have been trying to figure out the best way to get my helmet on. For a while, I just tried to get it on as gently as possible, because it would pull at my dreads and reaaaally hurt, and the tension on my scalp was unbearable.

BUT I was searching through my drawer of stuff I never throw away, and I found this! http://reviews.underarmour.com/2471/8000071/skull-cap-reviews/revie...

It's a skull cap thing that keeps your hair tucked down. It doesn't help with the dreading process because it's so smooth, but it really helps getting the helmet on.

I used to wear it for wrestling when I had a long mohawk. I placed it on my head (not tucking dreads underneath, there was no need) and I was surprised at how easily it slid over my hair! No problems.

And my baby dreads flap in the wind behind me. I can't wait until they're like 2 feet long lmao.

So, just a tip for anyone who has this problem. And anyone thinking about riding motorcycles, do it!

Tags: amour, cap, dreaded, dreads, hair, helmet, motorcycle, no, ouch, painful, More…rider, skull, under, wax

Views: 3258

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the links.
Yes ma'am, I'm a 44 year old dreadloc'd female.
I've always wanted to ride a speed bike, but never had the nerve.
I'm glad I finally did it...I'm loving it!!!

Kristina P said:

fabric stores don't have them. i had to find them online, here are some links:

http://www.schampa.com/Schampa_Tube_Multi_Wear_Headwear_p/tube.htm

http://backwoodsservice.com/du_rags_bandanas_neckface_shields/face_...

http://www.rei.com/product/691367/buff-original-buff?s_kwcid=TC|130...

http://www.planetbuff.com/Original-Buff

or ebay or amazon. 

OMG, and you are female! I love that, dreads and motorbike, sweet!
Zynobek said:

Thanks Kristina :-}

Great idea...

I'm going to checkout some local fabric stores and see what I can find in stretchy material.

Flying dreads, absolutely!!! But if they get any longer, I may just get them caught up in the rear tire...Ouch...LOL

Z

Kristina P said:

I have some stretchy bandanas that are one piece circular, they are awesome. Zynobek, i have visions of seeing you vrooming  down the street with your dreads flying!

Thanks Heather & Kristina P.

Awesome, man! Thanks for the advice! (even though its been over a year)

I hope your dreads are flapping in the wind by now!

If you are still an active member, or in case anyone else visits this post, it has been suggested to me to wear a thin wool cap under a helmet to help promote the knotting at the roots, and to keep the locks from unraveling when pulling the helmet off. I plan on trying both methods, since I try to take my bike everywhere I go, so ill try to post an update when Ive experimented a bit.

After reading through all the replies, I think I should also give the satin lining a try as well! 

Oh, and I've been riding about 4 years, have had a Lifan 110, '82 Honda GL500 Silverwing, '97 Kawa Vilcan, '74 Honda CB740, and have been riding my Yamaha VStar 1100 Classic for almost a year now. Love my big beefy cruiser!

Hey whattup ya'll, i been riding for about 4 yrs, and i just use a wave cap, whihc is really a glorified panty hose with an elastic on it. it fits snug around my forehead, i tuck the side dreads behind my ear, and let the back ones hand out of the helmet. Its very thin and breathable, i get them at cvs or any pharmacy's hair section for $ 1.89 for a 2 pack. You can put your helmet on any way you want, and it doesnt pull on your dreads at all, and when i take my helmet off, i left with the chin guard first, as if i was taking off a hat in the direction that my hair grows. That way if the wave cap slips off( which almost never happens) it wont damage your dreads and usually it falls inside the helmet.

I ride a SuperMario themed black/white/red with yellow fireballs Yamaha R6 with a dyno jet kit.

thanks for the input, brother.

i wear helmet like almost everyday for an hour, at least, round trip to work and home. and i got flat dreads because of it. :p i should get a xxl-size helmet soon.

Before I had dreads, I wore a medium or small helmet (for snowboarding). After 2 years of neglect, I had to size up to an XL. My merino wool Buff is incredibly comfortable underneath. It pulls my dreads back out of my face, and it is my go-to for a variety of situations. Awesome product - HIGHLY recommended.

www.buffusa.com

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by ☮ soaring eagle ॐ.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

Image Zoom