please also join the new dreadlockssite 3.0 mobile pc responsive beta site at ww3.dreadlockssite.com

This site looks and works best in firefox.
Use this menu for quick access to dreading guides pages, and forums sections.

All content on this site is copyrighted, see our terms of service for details

Clean healthy natural dreads community

DreadlocksSite.com is the best place to learn how to grow and care for healthy natural dreadlocks.

Dreadlocks free and easy no products no pricetags

Best dreadlocks shampoo

download our toolbar

please consider donating to support dreadlockssite.com your donations help keep the site running.

Latest Activity

crafty crafters
L Sully posted a blog post

Happy Loops? or bad roots?

I know roots are supposed to be loose, and dreads are supposed to get loopy and 'messy'. Especially…See More
25 minutes ago
Theodora Martino posted a photo

Theodora Martino

In my Tyler School of Art Portfolio Prep class, my teacher (Karen Reynolds) is helping me finish up…
39 minutes ago

crafty crafters
Radiantwild loved Jzithulele's photo
39 minutes ago

crafty crafters
Radiantwild loved Jzithulele's photo
39 minutes ago
Profile IconKelly Kissel, maryann, Jenn Martinez and 1 more joined Dreadlocks Natural Dreads DreadlocksSite.com
43 minutes ago

vip supporters
Crystal Longseth commented on Crystal Longseth's album
Thumbnail

Timeline pics

"Sorry about the dirty mirror, but here are my first pics! Can't wait to add more as they…"
1 hour ago
lisasimpson replied to Michael John Heath's discussion Nice smelling hair
"I'm lazy and I buy Zum Mist from Whole Foods and spritz it down between washings.…"
2 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ commented on Crystal Longseth's blog post Baking soda is AMAZING!!
"i havent used anything but dreadlockshampoo in a very long time but im thinking of doing a bs acv…"
2 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ replied to Elizabeth Tyler's discussion New and Restarting!
"congrats cant wait to see how they progress"
2 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ replied to tamika johnson's discussion Help..
"well you used wax  links  far from the nastiestg crap in there  u got to 1st remove…"
2 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ left a comment for tamika johnson
"welcomew but wax is a scam and dread killer u must remikve it"
2 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ left a comment for Jenn Martinez
"welcome how are u starting be sure to read the dreaducation page 1st"
2 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ left a comment for maryann
"welcome"
2 hours ago
Una updated their profile
3 hours ago

vip supporters
Crystal Longseth posted photos
3 hours ago
Jimmy DC replied to Elizabeth Tyler's discussion New and Restarting!
"Haha well welcome to the neglect/natural bunch. At the end we all just love dreads, though I…"
3 hours ago
Elizabeth Tyler updated their profile
4 hours ago
Elizabeth Tyler loved Donna's photo
4 hours ago
Elizabeth Tyler loved Donna's photo
4 hours ago
Elizabeth Tyler posted a discussion

New and Restarting!

So this is my first post.I am restarting my hair. I did the twist and rip method on my hair a month…See More
5 hours ago

I haven't really travelled around outside of the UK, but a question or a thought which occurred to me today is whether or not there are cultures/ traditions diminishing in todays' techno or scientifically advanced world.
If so should we not bring awareness to the importance of maintaining our cultures and exploring or gaining knowledge of others? What do you think or feel about this in terms of your culture and traditions?
(font just went all weird) Cant help but think how dull it would be without it.

Views: 506

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

an article from In travel magazine to support my post, http://intravelmag.com/component/content/201?task=view  

Well the same could be said about the counter culture movement in the 60's pretty much. But technology isn't destroying our culture per se but it is the culture right now. My friend put it perfectly, "Our culture only lasts until the new iTouch comes out." 

And i believe today's music, music a main thing of culture, is shit. However these were the same thoughts the French Academy in the late 19th century had about the Impressionist artists like Monet and Van Gogh. Which are now considered amazing artists.

So i guess the destruction of culture is the cycle of culture itself haha.

Of course cultures are dying in the world we know now. Technology is on the rise, an urge to fit in makes people repress the culture they were raised into, etc. But many people do still embrace theirs and others' culture, and you'll find very remote places where people are completely immersed in their own way of lifes, void of modern technology and relying on the land. It'd be a shame if any culture died out though, I love other cultures, langyages, etc.

We should progress forward, of course.. but with knowledge of the fundementals, cultural or just as a working practise.  

I would be able to talk more about art and animation than music but you have to search through the mass media, I guess not alll of it is bad and opinions will be formed, people agree or disagree, in the past and now. 

However There's so many independent artists and musicians that have alot to offer but again its finding those people with skill and i would imagine they are the people who learnt the fundamentals of their subject matter then developing it with aid of technology.  (There are perfectly good digital artists too but they probably learnt the bare bones too).  

In my thoughts, to know the traditions (languages, meaning behind certain rituals or festivals, etc) but still integrate technology into our lives would be a good balance.  I doubt its ever going to change, but just get more powerful.

I do agree that everything goes through a cycle though...but some things can be too precious to loose, especially in an era which doesn't seem to want to look back. 

sorry for rambling on, this will contribute to some dissertation research..itll b nice to see some thoughts and opinions

They are dissappearing and it's sad, but part of it is our individual faults, we have to choice to keep it going or let it fade. The older I get the more I'm interested in my ancestry, I try to embrace the old with the new which I think a lot of people do that and that has become the culture. It would interesting to see the world in another 1000 years, and see how different and how many more cultures evolve. Lately I have been drifting away from technology, mainly texting, email, facebook. I feel like the way we communicate nowadays is weak to say the least, a lot of people don't hear each others voice or see each other because it's so much easier to text. My son's grandmothers come over and play on their phones rather than hangin out with their grandkid, that is until I threaten to flush their $300 dollar phone down the toilet.

and culture has always been dying and disappearing its just now that we have people who are conscious of what is going on around the world. 

Once man started to conquer was when culture started to be destroyed, but we will always have the art and architecture. Like the Spanish conquering all Latin countries except for Brasil. Spread of Christianity, treating them like animals, teaching them not dressing, behaving, and speaking like a Spaniard is wrong. Destruction of cultures in 2 continents by pretty much one country about 600 years ago.

Although the culture and traditions of the Mayans, Incas, Aztecs and all other native cultures of the Americas were lost due to assimilation, we still have their Pyramids and an understanding of what the culture use to be but it isn't really practiced much anymore

The destruction of culture, imperialism, and assimilation were all things that Che Guevara were fighting against, and he was assassinated by the United States' CIA.

Thank you for the great posts so far! In response to James Turk, My thoughts exactly. Although sometimes I feel that I wish my parents took more time to try and educated me in terms of language (Punjabi, Swahili)  as a child as it is easier to pick up and remember.. as my dad and his family were born in africa and would tell me about their childhood has really inspired me to want to learn about differnt african cultures, and Djembe.. so perhaps it is upto us as a new wave of parenting generation to get younger ones motivated to go out to learn and find sources through interaction with people more. And as our responsibility to teach them about their society.

I reckon this explosion of new gadgets etc.. is a treat for our parents or grandparents though..perhaps since it wasn't like this when they were growing up.

James Turk said:

They are dissappearing and it's sad, but part of it is our individual faults, we have to choice to keep it going or let it fade. The older I get the more I'm interested in my ancestry, I try to embrace the old with the new which I think a lot of people do that and that has become the culture. It would interesting to see the world in another 1000 years, and see how different and how many more cultures evolve. Lately I have been drifting away from technology, mainly texting, email, facebook. I feel like the way we communicate nowadays is weak to say the least, a lot of people don't hear each others voice or see each other because it's so much easier to text. My son's grandmothers come over and play on their phones rather than hangin out with their grandkid, that is until I threaten to flush their $300 dollar phone down the toilet.

Of course cultures are dying.  Cultures have been dying out during every time period in history, all the way back to Mesopotamia.  One group does war better on water, so another group attacks them on land and steals their knowledge of sea travel.  The first group dies off or is assimilated into the new one.  Then they get killed by someone else, maybe just be pure luck.  

It isn't just after Europeans started to colonize the world.  

But today, most ancient cultures are going completely extinct, but the new cultures are arising.  cultures based on technology and information.  They are more widespread, because we can now communicate with people from all over the world.  Isa, on this site, is from Trinidad and Tobago.  Others are from the UK, Australia, and everywhere in between.

I am not a huge technology fan, but I am on this site almost every day talking to people from all over the country and the world sharing thoughts and information.  That is our new culture, whereas the old cultures were based on small enclosed groups that had limited contact with the people around them.  And no contact with people on the other side of the world.  We might be seeing the death and disappearance of those smaller cultures, but the large global culture is taking over.  I don't really think it's a bad thing.  I am not on Facebook, but I don't believe that it is wrong for people to be on it.  I just hate technology.  KInd of funny coming from a science guy, but I'm simple.  I don't even own a TV, but I am able to get more and better news from online.   

It's a shame that these old ways are going away, but like it was said above, we still have ruins, and artifacts.  So hopefully they will never be forgotten even if they aren't practiced anymore.  That's the benefit of our culture today.  We don't believe that if we conquer someone, that we have to erase their existence.  

I would hope that they are evolving more than dying. My last name is from a Pictish Scottish culture that has very little written history about it but I do know where it comes from and what they believed and practiced and I will always embrace what I can from my families history. 

yeh, to me i see the traditional wedding ceremonies and songs we sing during that time fading away.  
Out of 4 or 5 families only a few parents know what to do and what to sing...maybe they should give us younger folk some lessons hehe.  Maybe you could try to find out more about your history and then pass that knowledge around or even write about...whats to stop you or anyone!

Baba Fats, Its not just a consumer culture It is about the traditional ceremonies, songs dance stories where there is no materialistic possessions involved and their practises within these groups, people share information about them and that is a great advantage of what we have developed in technology but it would be a shame to just forget it all and let it end up on a screen or at a museum rather than when its apart of the moving world. I guess you cant change the direction of a flowing river  

James Turk said:

I would hope that they are evolving more than dying. My last name is from a Pictish Scottish culture that has very little written history about it but I do know where it comes from and what they believed and practiced and I will always embrace what I can from my families history. 

Good idea, I think I'll do that!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by ☮ soaring eagle ॐ.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

Image Zoom