please also join the new dreadlockssite 3.0 mobile pc responsive beta site at ww3.dreadlockssite.com

This site looks and works best in firefox.
Use this menu for quick access to dreading guides pages, and forums sections.

All content on this site is copyrighted, see our terms of service for details

Clean healthy natural dreads community

DreadlocksSite.com is the best place to learn how to grow and care for healthy natural dreadlocks.

Dreadlocks free and easy no products no pricetags

Best dreadlocks shampoo

download our toolbar


please consider donating to support dreadlockssite.com your donations help keep the site running.

Latest Activity

Profile IconCynthia Luxford, OnyxShadow, Sarah Emayah and 5 more joined Dreadlocks Natural Dreads DreadlocksSite.com
28 minutes ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ replied to MamaEmmelia's discussion Starting over; the shape of my locks.
"its actualy perfect;y normal and forget aboutthe apps  ina few months they will be…"
2 hours ago
MamaEmmelia replied to MamaEmmelia's discussion Starting over; the shape of my locks.
"I would like to but I can't download the tapatalk app for some reason & I don't have…"
2 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ left a comment for OnyxShadow
"welcome andcongrats on starting your journey!"
5 hours ago
OnyxShadow updated their profile
6 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ replied to Robyn's discussion Lockin up Pink Himalayan Sea Salt Spray Review
"well  the thing is crochet makes dreads tio tight to dsread  so what yiou really want is…"
6 hours ago
Fernandreads replied to Robyn's discussion Lockin up Pink Himalayan Sea Salt Spray Review
"Guys, i've done the crochet method for years and now I stopped to let them lock naturally.…"
6 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ replied to MamaEmmelia's discussion Starting over; the shape of my locks.
"can you post pics of whatthey looked like b4 u combed them  out "
6 hours ago
Marcus Aurelius replied to Marcus Aurelius's discussion Dread Journal / Questions about Dread Health, Etc
"Soaring eagle, Thanks for the speedy insight. I won't touch them except to wash and separate.…"
7 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ left a comment for chris
"welcome  read the dreaducation page the only person that should ever toucvh your dreasds isd…"
7 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ replied to Dredwing's discussion Very mature dreads that always thin at the ends.
"have you ever used a crochet hook, interlocked (root flipped) or any sort of dread tools in the past"
7 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ left a comment for Dredwing
"welcome the 1 most important tip i can give you is to wash way way more often"
7 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ replied to Dredwing's discussion Very mature dreads that always thin at the ends.
"well 1st off you are not washing nearly enough my dreads are 24 years and a foot past the floor or…"
7 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ left a comment for Rajinder Pagel
"thats not a good idea in fact a couple were killed by a bear cause they smeared honney in thier…"
7 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ left a comment for Rosetta Fuller
"welcome but you should stop using that gel also if your retwisting..stop it causes traction…"
8 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ replied to Marcus Aurelius's discussion Dread Journal / Questions about Dread Health, Etc
"crochets horrible no matter whbat but they didnt blungt the tips so thsats good ifthey arentr super…"
8 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ left a comment for Marcus Aurelius
"welcome but stop crochet thats 1 of the absolute worse things u can do to them"
8 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ left a comment for Bombini
8 hours ago

dread gurus
☮ soaring eagle ॐ left a comment for Sarah Emayah
8 hours ago
MamaEmmelia replied to Coco Chloe's discussion Homeschool/unschool folks?
"Unschooling tendencies, that is. ;)"
9 hours ago
Hi fellow dreaddies!

I have been using Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile Soap for months. I like the soap, I find it refreshing. It dries my hair out a bit, so I use oils to condition my hair. I have been hearing stories that Dr.Bronner's will cause mildew, mold, etc. I don't want mildew in my hair! Do any of you use Dr. Bronners? Did you experience mold and mildew? Please help me out because I am willing to change shampoo if I need to!
Thanks!

Views: 9289

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dr Bronners doesn't cause mold..dreads get moldy if they have water in them that never properly dries. Like if someone goes to sleep with wet dreads often. As long as your hair dries completely between washes you will be fine.

Dr Bs is a good soap if you have soft water..Maybe in places where it doesn't rinse out well(leaves a greasy texture) it could cause some mold issues...idk ... but if your hair isn't greasy then it doesn't apply to you anyways. If you wanna change, the baking soda wash is really good too :)
i highly recomend the baking soda (search the site for super clean) or the maylees bars in our shops
Thanks everyone!
I haven't tried the baking soda+ACV rince combo. If I still know my chemistry, the combination will form a reaction that breaks through the dirt, etc? LOL!

Knottysleeves said:
Dr B's doesn't encourage mold or mildew any more than any other shampoo or soap. It does however leave a sticky residue for some people, especially in hard water areas.

Have you tried the baking soda + ACV wash? The ACV will help condition your hair as well as make it super clean!
typo "rinse"

new dreddie said:
Thanks everyone!
I haven't tried the baking soda+ACV rince combo. If I still know my chemistry, the combination will form a reaction that breaks through the dirt, etc? LOL!

Knottysleeves said:
Dr B's doesn't encourage mold or mildew any more than any other shampoo or soap. It does however leave a sticky residue for some people, especially in hard water areas.

Have you tried the baking soda + ACV wash? The ACV will help condition your hair as well as make it super clean!
thanks!

raw sum said:
that and wil balance the ph of your scalp :)

new dreddie said:
typo "rinse"

new dreddie said:
Thanks everyone!
I haven't tried the baking soda+ACV rince combo. If I still know my chemistry, the combination will form a reaction that breaks through the dirt, etc? LOL!

Knottysleeves said:
Dr B's doesn't encourage mold or mildew any more than any other shampoo or soap. It does however leave a sticky residue for some people, especially in hard water areas.

Have you tried the baking soda + ACV wash? The ACV will help condition your hair as well as make it super clean!
dr.b is fine i used it on my last set of dreads for many years with no mold mildew etc...i find the maylee's garden shampoo bar will fix dry hair right up 50% in one wash no lie! only other stuff ibe ever used on the regular was African black soap (the real stuff not the stuff u get in a supermarket) which is da bomb for any skin or scalp issues!
I agree with the others, mildew and mold is from dampness.

I LOVE backing soda with a few drops of peppermint oil.
I use a bar soap for dreads that mountain sky makes once and awhile just to change things up but love going back to the simple deep clean of BS&P.
Thanks Heather and Island Mamma! :)
I had been using Dr Bronners for several months. The thing is I found that my roots were becoming "sticky." So I switched to the Baking Soda/Apple Cider Vinegar rinse. Way happier with the results. My dreads feel cleaner and like they dry faster. Also I don't experience as much "frizz" as I was with Dr. B.
Hi pixie,

Thanks for the info. So after you wash the baking soda out, you leave the ACV on your hair or rinse the vinegar out?

:)

pixie said:
I had been using Dr Bronners for several months. The thing is I found that my roots were becoming "sticky." So I switched to the Baking Soda/Apple Cider Vinegar rinse. Way happier with the results. My dreads feel cleaner and like they dry faster. Also I don't experience as much "frizz" as I was with Dr. B.
You pour on the baking soda and soak for 10 minutes. Then rinse with water. Then pour on the water with vinegar and leave it on a good 3 minutes then rinse it out. Just like if they were shampoo and conditioner :)

new dreddie said:
Hi pixie,

Thanks for the info. So after you wash the baking soda out, you leave the ACV on your hair or rinse the vinegar out?

:)
Thanks Paula!

❂•Paula•❂ said:
You pour on the baking soda and soak for 10 minutes. Then rinse with water. Then pour on the water with vinegar and leave it on a good 3 minutes then rinse it out. Just like if they were shampoo and conditioner :)

new dreddie said:
Hi pixie,

Thanks for the info. So after you wash the baking soda out, you leave the ACV on your hair or rinse the vinegar out?

:)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by ☮ soaring eagle ॐ.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

Image Zoom